Anyone using TVP and a Surface Pro?Does pen pressure work

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
JohnArtbox

Anyone using TVP and a Surface Pro?Does pen pressure work

Post by JohnArtbox »

I was all set to buy a surface pro and then I heard about the pressure sensitivity issues in Photoshop and other software. Is anyone using a surface pro? Does TVP take advantage of the pressure sensitivity? How well does the surface pro work with TVP? Anyone?
NB.. The Note 10.1 looks good for tvp, but I don't want to have to carry a Note, and a laptop for all my other software. Plus the cost of a note and a laptop is higher than the cost of the Surface Pro.
Fabrice

Re: Anyone using TVP and a Surface Pro?Does pen pressure wor

Post by Fabrice »

Well we didn't try the Surface Pro yet.
Everything was tested on Windows 8, and the surface pro is using windows 8. So it should work.

To make 100% sure : Is there a way for you to install TVPaint demo version in a shop and try it ?
( don't forget to go in edit > preferences and check or uncheck the "subpixel" option, in order to check the pressure sensitivity. You might also need some specific Wacom drivers )

Once I have more info, I will post here.
Fabrice Debarge
JohnArtbox

Post by JohnArtbox »

Unfortunately, Surface Pro is mail order only, at least in Australia. Guess I'll just have to wait a little longer and see if the drivers are fixed...from what I've read, Microsoft seems to have prevented users from installing generic wacom drivers.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Sounds like to be the same here in France. From what I read : Surface Pro is mail order only.
I will keep investigating.
Fabrice Debarge
matthewchapman

Post by matthewchapman »

I am quite curious about this myself. There is a Microsoft store near me. I'll take a drive over in the next week and see. They let me install other software on it so they should be cool with tvpaint,
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

if possible, ask them to install the demo version (it's time unlimited, but you can't export or save).
Fabrice Debarge
matthewchapman

Post by matthewchapman »

I brought my friend Matt Danner to test it. He's an animator for Disney, and a long time Mac user. He had reservations at first, but he really liked the device. We downloaded TVPaint on the machine and he played with it, I forgot to check the "subpixel accuracy" box in the preferences, but "out of the box" it had pressure and worked fine.

Here's a little video of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kexph2JY ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want one so bad... saving my pennies.

chap
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Just a little laggy but really impressive, looks to be really responsive :D
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Good to know.

Thanks for testing :)
Fabrice Debarge
matthewchapman

Post by matthewchapman »

RE: Lag... For the record he is a mac user who wanted to dislike the pro. His brush strokes were very fast, and I didn't turn on sub-pixel positioning. To me there was no noticeable lag. Also in video for some reason ink stroke always looks a bit more behind the pen than it is.

After another 2-3 min with it he was very impressed, and is normally a Cintiq user.

I think the actual tablet is a bit small for TVPaint but the colors on the Surface are SO vibrant, and the optically bonded screen makes it feel like the pen is really writing.

chap
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Hello Matthew, Thank you for this nice feedback. I'm glad to know that finally, the software was not lagging on the Surface Pro :D
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Beware of purchasing the Surface Pro. Microsoft has still not released a Wacom driver for it's included Wacom digitizer. So while pressure will work in some applications, ( TVPaint, Artrage and SketchBook Pro ) - It will not work in others that need the Wacom / wintab driver. ( Flash, painter.. paint tool sai, and others )

Also, Windows 8 has a bit of a conflict with Wacom drivers in general.

Better to buy a Samsung Ativ 700T ( A far better machine! Same specs as Surface Pro, but with working Wacom driver! )
Users made a big commotion about the lack of a Wacom driver on the Surface Pro, and Microsoft finally backtracked, saying they would release it as an update "soon".
But it's been months, and MS still has no update on the situation.

I traded in my Surface Pro, went Samsung and I have never looked back.
I will never purchase another Microsoft tablet until they fully support Wintab.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Ok Chad. Thank you for forwarding the information!
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

CartoonMonkey wrote:Beware of purchasing the Surface Pro. Microsoft has still not released a Wacom driver for it's included Wacom digitizer. So while pressure will work in some applications, ( TVPaint, Artrage and SketchBook Pro ) - It will not work in others that need the Wacom / wintab driver. ( Flash, painter.. paint tool sai, and others )

Also, Windows 8 has a bit of a conflict with Wacom drivers in general.

Better to buy a Samsung Ativ 700T ( A far better machine! Same specs as Surface Pro, but with working Wacom driver! )
Users made a big commotion about the lack of a Wacom driver on the Surface Pro, and Microsoft finally backtracked, saying they would release it as an update "soon".
But it's been months, and MS still has no update on the situation.

I traded in my Surface Pro, went Samsung and I have never looked back.
I will never purchase another Microsoft tablet until they fully support Wintab.
So regarding Surface Pro, it could be good to try TVPaint with and without "wintab" option checked in the preferences.
Fabrice Debarge
CartoonMonkey

Post by CartoonMonkey »

Update!

Wacom released a driver..

For Windows 8 machines, a driver was made available today, that fixes touch and pressure sensitivity across the board for Surface Pro, and all Wacom enabled Tablet PC's. All my old programs work flawlessly with palm rejection on WIndows now. ( Ativ 700T ) Users report Surface Pro pressure working in all applications now as well.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/10/43179 ... r-download" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;