Mistakes in the user guide

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: Mistakes in the user guide

Post by Thierry »

This is mostly software-related.
The names are stored in English and French directly in the code (as they can be changed by the user).
Thing is, when you change the language of the software, the names don't change : when you go from English to French, the names stay in English, and vice-versa (you can see on the screenshot you linked that other names are in English).

I will redo the screenshots, but no ETA on when it will be done.
There other areas of the user manual where I have noticed the same occurrence of screen captures from the French version of TVPaint.
Can you tell me via email where these other areas are ?
Thanks.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Thierry wrote:This is mostly software-related.
The names are stored in English and French directly in the code (as they can be changed by the user).
Thing is, when you change the language of the software, the names don't change : when you go from English to French, the names stay in English, and vice-versa (you can see on the screenshot you linked that other names are in English).

I will redo the screenshots, but no ETA on when it will be done.
I understand it's time consuming to do the new screenshots and put them in place. But I do think it's important to refine the user manual so it is as clear as possible and avoid any potential confusion.
There other areas of the user manual where I have noticed the same occurrence of screen captures from the French version of TVPaint.
Can you tell me via email where these other areas are ?
Thanks.
I haven't been keeping a list , but as I notice them again I will email you the pages of the user manual where I notice the same issue with the screen capture images.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Not a "mistake" , but a suggestion for improving the usability of the Online User Manual -

As it is now the major sections of the User Manual do not have a specific link to directly open to that section. For example: if you start from the first page of the User Manual and then you click on the sidebar menu to 'Section 8: Create and Manage A Storyboard' it opens up the sub-headings under that main section heading ... BUT I think it would be better if when you click on the main Heading of a Section it also takes you to the first page of that section, as well as opening up the menu to reveal the sub-sections under the main section.

Then at the end of each page within a section there is a hyperlink which the user can click to go to "Next Page of Section 8" (or whatever section they are in) or "Continue to Next Page" , so the user does not have to navigate back over to sidebar menu to click on the link to the next page of that section.
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 7.44.12 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 8.04.25 AM.jpg
So, when I am on the first page of the User Manual and I click on 'Section 8: Create and Manage A Storyboard' , this is what I would see: Open to the first page of Section 8 "What is a Storyboard" and at the end of that page a link to let me click to "Go To NEXT PAGE" , as well as the sidebar menu to navigate with.
Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 8.23.11 AM.jpg

Elodie

Post by Elodie »

We cannot have different behaviours for every part of the guide. If we do this for storyboard, it should be the same for evey other lessons.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elodie wrote:We cannot have different behaviours for every part of the guide. If we do this for storyboard, it should be the same for evey other lessons.
I'm sorry , I was unclear : I meant do this for every lesson in the user guide. I was just using the the section on Storyboard as an example .

Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Oh ok, sorry ! :oops:
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

On the tutorials page , the tutorial for The FX Stack - Create a cartoon smoke [advanced] is marked as "Private Video : Sorry You Don't Have Permission To Watch" .

The tutorial Watercolor and Color Keyer [Advanced] is also marked as "Private Video : Sorry You Don't Have Permission To Watch" .

Elodie

Post by Elodie »

These videos (and many other ones) are pretty old, so we've changed confidentiality settings to keep them private. But since they are linked to our website, I have changed the settings back to public.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

HERE:

http://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index. ... ment-notes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it says:

"Now that all these options have been studied, let's see an example with the elephant project."

A new user will wonder what (and where ?) is the "elephant project" referred to ? I can't find it in the Contents and Examples . The example shown on the page in the user guide is the talking Mr. Sun saying: "Now listen to me all you good people , there's nothing wrong with strong emotion" (project file: Sun_talk.tvpp in the Contents & Examples) . No sign of an elephant.

I believe it is this project from the TVPaint 10 user guide , but if it's not shown that way in the TVPaint 11 user guide then the reference to the "elephant project" needs to be changed.
Screen Shot 2016-10-01 at 1.31.13 PM.jpg
-----

UPDATE: I did locate the "elephant project" ... it's in Contents and Examples now named 'FX_Scan_Cleaner_Animation.tvpp' . But oddly enough is not referenced by that file name in the TVPaint 11 user guide pages that cover the Scan Cleaner :

http://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index. ... made-clean" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index. ... lack-white" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

I will correct that asap (elephant > sun talking)
Thanks for reporting David !
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

In the section on the Multiplane Camera: https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... -animation

There is a project file referred to as FX_Multiplan_Camera_TrackIn.tvpp which is not in the Contents & Examples folder which is downloaded from the website.
https://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/arti ... amples.php

It says:
Create an animation with the Multiplane Camera Effect, part 1 :

Begin by loading the project FX_Multiplan_Camera_TrackIn.tvpp
But there is no such project file to load, so the new user can not follow along with the lesson in the User Guide. Either the file FX_Multiplan_Camera_TrackIn.tvpp needs to be restored to Contents & Examples , or a new Multiplane Camera tutorial created and a source file provided.

Also, in my experience , many new users don't see the Contents & Examples folder on the install disc and they forget about the install disc once they have installed the software (and probably toss it in to a box with other software discs or misc. CD's) , and they never know to download the Contents & Examples from the website , so when the User Guide refers to using project files such as FX_Multiplan_Camera_TrackIn.tvpp , it creates confusion for the new user, because they have no idea where to find such files . I think any time that the User Guide refers to a source project file that is used in the lesson it should have a hyperlink to click and download that source file.

Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

But there is no such project file to load, so the new user can not follow along with the lesson in the User Guide. Either the file FX_Multiplan_Camera_TrackIn.tvpp needs to be restored to Contents & Examples , or a new Multiplane Camera tutorial created and a source file provided.
This has been reported to me recently.
I'll try to update the Contents & Examples archive when I can.
they never know to download the Contents & Examples from the website , so when the User Guide refers to using project files such as FX_Multiplan_Camera_TrackIn.tvpp , it creates confusion for the new user, because they have no idea where to find such files . I think any time that the User Guide refers to a source project file that is used in the lesson it should have a hyperlink to click and download that source file.
I think that it's mentionned a few times in the Online Documentation that the files are in the Contents & Examples folder.
But I like your solution a lot, it shouldn't be too complicated to implement it, I'll see if I can do it this week.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

EDIT: as of March 1, 2021 , this has now been fixed .

-------

In the section on Multiplane camera : https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... ra-concept

The user guide says:
Editing table and computer multiplane camera:

"Below on the left you will see the schematic diagram of a traditional multiplane camera setup often referred to as editing table. Each plane is placed on a sheet of glass and is moved progressively while filming."
Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 11.44.17 AM.jpg
I've never seen a traditional multiplane camera set up referred to as an "editing table" . This isn't terminology that is used in English for referring to the multiplane camera.

This is an editing table:
editing table.jpg
The phrasing would be better to simply say:

"Below on the left you will see a schematic diagram of a traditional multiplane camera setup . Each plane is placed on a sheet of glass mounted in moveable metal or wooden frames and are moved progressively at different rates of speed to produce the illusion of depth."
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 01 Mar 2021, 18:06, edited 1 time in total.

o0Ampy0o

Post by o0Ampy0o »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 15:52...The phrasing would be better to simply say:

"Below on the left you will see a schematic diagram of a traditional multiplane camera setup . Each plane is placed on a sheet of glass mounted in moveable metal or wooden frames and are moved progressively at different rates of speed to produce the illusion of depth."
This statement has one grammatical error. What are you speaking of in this statement? Answer: Each plane, not the frames therefore ..."is moved" would be used rather than "are moved."

Either of these will work:

1. ... Each plane is placed on a sheet of glass mounted in moveable metal or wooden frames and is moved progressively at different rates of speed to produce the illusion of depth.

Or

2. Individual planes are placed on sheets of glass mounted in moveable metal or wooden frames and are moved progressively at different rates of speed to produce the illusion of depth.

:-)
Main System: Mac Mini running OS X: Big Sur | M1 | 16GB RAM | have not installed TVPaint on new M1 need to update to current as of 9/2022 ...pending non-dongle license 1/2023 | iPad Pro, Apple Pencil and Astropad | Wacom Intros Pro
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

o0Ampy0o wrote: 14 Mar 2017, 03:12
D.T. Nethery wrote: 13 Mar 2017, 15:52...The phrasing would be better to simply say:

This statement has one grammatical error. What are you speaking of in this statement? Answer: Each plane, not the frames therefore ..."is moved" would be used rather than "are moved."

Thanks for catching that error.

However, my main point was not the description of the planes being progressively moved , but rather to change the line : "a traditional multiplane camera setup often referred to as editing table." because it doesn't make sense in English . (I don't know how "editing table" translates from French or what the description is in the original French version of the user manual, but it doesn't work in English to describe a multiplane camera rig as an "editing table".)