Why the **** isn't there a selection tool?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
SumGuy12314

Why the **** isn't there a selection tool?

Post by SumGuy12314 »

Okay I'm really frustrated as to how such an advanced program does not contain the most simplest tool in any drawing, animation, painting program; THE SELECTION TOOL. Now I'm well aware of the rectangle selection but that is not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about actually being able to select shapes and move them around, being able to select portions of shapes, etc. In most programs, this tool is identified as a cursor. Please if there is the tool then forgive me but I've looked and looked and can't find this tool. Without it, I wont be able to select anything..Which means I can't even use this program if I dont have one of them most basic functions required. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
selection-tools.jpg
selection-tools.jpg (4.42 KiB) Viewed 37941 times
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Why the **** isn't there a selection tool?

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

In the Main Panel, second row of icons, second icon, noticeable by the letter S (as in Selection). LMB on it reveals a list of 7 ways to make a selection; each line starting with the word Selection. :|
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
SumGuy12314

Post by SumGuy12314 »

As I mentioned already, I'm not talking about those.. Those don't work at all. I'm talking about actually SELECTING something, not making a selection box around an object. As I've already mentioned, it's signified as a cursor. Please take the time to read my full response rather than just reading the title. Thanks again! :)
Paul Fierlinger

I'm talking about actually being able to select shapes and move them around, being able to select portions of shapes, etc.
You can do all that using a couple of those selections, but what you want is not what you have asked for. Drop your attitude, rephrase your question and you might get a better answer. You can also go back to Flash. You can also use search for an explanation. You can also learn how to draw. There's something more you can do and for that you will have to reread your headline and do it to yourself.
Paul
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

First you have to tell the software what exactly you want to select. After that you can manipulate the selection. For both actions the appropriate tools are there. Take some time and learn the software you use.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Classic.
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
mox

Post by mox »

TVPaint is a pixel-based drawing package, not vector-based, so you can't select shapes this way.
Jerome Lorin
Moxica (playground)
(Win11/TVP 11.7.3-64 bits pro)
SumGuy12314

Post by SumGuy12314 »

It doesn't matter whether its a pixel based or vector based.. Why can't i select my drawings? The selection tools you guys mentioned have not been clearly described in the manual. And btw i tried searching this forum already, and I already tried to learn the software. I'm here BECUASE I couldn't ifnd a solution. Guys please before you get angry at me, READ MY FULL RESPONSE!!!!!!!!!!! I already mentioned the selection tools and why they do not work for my purpose so that's why I'm interested in if there's a way to do the most basic thing in any drawing program.. I mean seriously even the 1990s paint program has a selection... When I use the selection tools in TvPaint they just give me a box and I can only work with non-organic shapes. What if I have fire..? Would i have to use the pen to select all around it....?
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Hold the mouse down on the Selection tool button to see the various kinds of selection tools there are, there will be a popup, you can choose from rectangle, polygon, freehand, magicwand, etc. What other kind of selection tools are you expecting to be there?
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
SumGuy12314

Post by SumGuy12314 »

All those selections are just variations of the same type of thing. I tried using them and i couldn't do anything.. just could crop and make a brush. I couldn't even delete anything INSIDE the selection. But my point is i want to be able to select particular drawings that i make. So lets say i draw a complex shape i want to be able just click on the shape and all of it will automatically be selected.. no need for a box or anything. Also in other programs im able to transform my shape from its points and what not. When i draw a box with my cursor i want everything inside to be selected, not just make that marquee thing.
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

SumGuy12314 wrote:All those selections are just variations of the same type of thing. I tried using them and i couldn't do anything.. just could crop and make a brush. I couldn't even delete anything INSIDE the selection. But my point is i want to be able to select particular drawings that i make. So lets say i draw a complex shape i want to be able just click on the shape and all of it will automatically be selected.. no need for a box or anything. Also in other programs im able to transform my shape from its points and what not. When i draw a box with my cursor i want everything inside to be selected, not just make that marquee thing.
That's exactly how selection tools work in raster programs, you can only select regions in the image on the current layer. It's the same in Gimp and Photoshop, too. What you are asking for is only a function in a vector application like Flash or ToonBoom. You can kind of do selections around shape contours using the magic wand selection, but it's not a "click on a shape and have it selected" functionality.

Transform and warp tools are under the Panning tool button.
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Paul Fierlinger

Without it, I wont be able to select anything..Which means I can't even use this program if I dont have one of them most basic functions required. Thanks in advance!
OK, you are welcome. You can't have everything you want in life, because life is difficult. Now accept the facts of life and stop crying. :roll:
Paul
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I tried using them and i couldn't do anything.. just could crop and make a brush. I couldn't even delete anything INSIDE the selection. But my point is i want to be able to select particular drawings that i make. So lets say i draw a complex shape i want to be able just click on the shape and all of it will automatically be selected.. no need for a box or anything.
It sounds like you need some serious basic training on how raster-based software works. (TVPaint, Photoshop, Gimp - whatever.)

Select something and delete it should always work. If you can't delete something inside a selection, you maybe have a stencil activated on another layer. The selection must be active - the "crawling ants" line must be visible.
just click on the shape and all of it will automatically be selected.
If it's all on one layer and there's nothing else, there's no need to select, you can manipulate the whole thing immediately.
If you only want to manipulate part of it, you must tell the software which part you mean. All pixels are the same to the program, you have to tell it somehow "I want all red pixels" or "I want everything on the right" or "I want what's inside my selection". That's what the different selection tools are for:

Marquee for simple rectangular selection.
Lasso for selection with a certain shape.
Magic Wand for selection based on colour.

Each of these can be adjusted to your needs: sharp or fuzzy border, range of colour, invert.

Which programs did you use before?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
SumGuy12314

Post by SumGuy12314 »

I used Flash and ToonBoom Animate.. Hmm well my apologies I thought all drawing software would have atleast the same capabilities in terms of what I've asked. But I think you guys misunderstood a little bit maybe.. If you really want to know what I want, then do this: Go on your desktop, Click and drag and make a SELECTION, and when you let go you will see whatever was inside of your box(folders,files) was automatically selected! That's all I wanted.. I don't really understand how those dotted line selections work but what I've described is exactly what I want. Oh and this tool I'm asking for is actually not necessarily even of only drawing software, but usually any program. If you go into a 3D modeling program you will see a cursor as a tool in the toolbar. Usually you have a cursor as the icon in any software for selections. Oh and the whole point of me wanting to be able to select things in my way was because when I drew a shape using the stroke tool and filled it in, the outline was still left. Since there is no selection tool, I couldn't just select the outline and delete it. Any ideas on how to do that? Oh and sorry if my title and replies are disrespectful I was just extremely frustrated that this program didn't seem to have that tool I wanted, with it being an amazing program and all. Thanks again!
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

I don't know of any raster graphics application that does what you want. TVPaint is not 3D software nor is it object-oriented/vector software like ToonBoom, Illustrator, SynFig or whatever.

If you want your stroked outline and filled color to be separate, you would put them on separate layers (you can set a layer to use the layer above for the fill outline). TVPaint emulates traditional cel animation very closely, so you have to think it terms of brushes and paints and textures instead of outline objects, shape objects, etc.