Sketch Panel on OSX

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

efflux,

try Artrage. it mimics oil painting only, but it does it much more superbly than Painter does. it looks and bhaves much more natural, and works faster.
I agree with what you say about painter's capabilities, but there are so many algorithms calculated into the brushes that it really slows down the drawing in higher reslutions. Mirage uses the same calculations exactly for all its custom brushes, therefore it is more simple to approach. Saying that, you can still create amazing brushes, just that they call for more creativity on the side of the user.

I agree that tvp need to include some of the brushes that has been posted here in the forums into their releases.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

efflux wrote:... Painter allows mixing of the paint on the canvas which TVPaint doesn't as far as I am aware...
as Fabice mentioned it, Perceptual Palette could fulfill this weakness ...

"Dirt", "Load" and "Rotate" from PPalette seem to be what you need :
lemec wrote:...
As for using my palette plugin -- I just can't use anything but!

I've added a few improvements to it like "brush soiling" -- which causes the brush to pick up colours underneath it as you paint over them (simulating a brush that gets dirty) and "brush loading" which causes the brush to "run out of paint" and draw fainter, less-defined strokes.

When you lift the stylus up, your brush gradually recovers like a felt marker does, and you can turn on the AutoRotate function which makes the brush rotate if you lift the stylus up, move it some distance away, and then move it back in range of the tablet -- which causes it to realign the brush based on where you moved the stylus -- this is great when used with a very flat oilbrush -- because it means you can quickly and easily realign the brush and use it like a palette knife.

These past few improvements have gone a long way towards making my paintings look less 'digital'...
http://www.le-mec.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... sc&start=0

oh a last thing, Mme Irma predict me for 2007 kind of significant improvements in this painting area,
... I cross my fingers for her predictions becoming true!... :wink:
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

efflux wrote:I also notice that the brushes don't "turn" as nicely in TVpaint, If you understand what I mean. It's not too smooth but stepped.
Hi Efflux,
I think you have not tested the "SubPixel" Option with Custom Brush when turning them. On the attached image, you can see the source brushand then the rotated brush without and with the SubPixel Option checked.

TVP Animation is fully multi-threaded. So the software use all the threads it can.
Attachments
SubPixel.jpg
SubPixel.jpg (42.93 KiB) Viewed 14191 times
Ex TVPaint Team
efflux

Post by efflux »

OK thanks. I will look into some of these things in TVPaint.

I did try Artrage and the oil brushes were very good but over at Corel they have obviously seen the great brushes in Artrage and upped Painter IX to beyond Artrage. The trouble with Artrage is extreme limitations on brush editing. This may change in the future but Artrage has a problem in that Painter is the most popular and widely used painting app and Artrage doesn't add anything different. It seems Coral are going to just improve on anything that Artrage comes up with.

Painter is almost definitely going to be part of my setup despite the lack of multi core support. You can do limited animations in Painter. It's just a question of what I do if I want to build up fairly complex storyboards - pan and zoom, basic character movements etc. I might take this next step straight to 3D but then I still need post production tools. I haven't ruled out using TVPaint. I will still look into further.

I may still do some full 2D animation. Using a wacom at first was very awkward but I am finding you do get used to it. Believe me, I would love to be able to do everything in one app like TVPaint.
djm99001

ArtRage vs Painter

Post by djm99001 »

efflux--

I think that you are misunderstanding the function of ArtRage. The people who designed ArtRage actually did write the oil brush engine for Corel Painter. ArtRage 2 is a more recent application than the latest Painter, but it is not intended to be a Photoshop replacement or a full-fledged image editing application. The UI is intended to be simple and intuitive, and it's also more economically accessible: it costs 1/20th what Painter does. ($20 vs $429)