Importing video footage issues

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Spooks

Importing video footage issues

Post by Spooks »

It is to my understanding that to do so, you simply drag the footage into TVP and an import window should pop up. This doesn't always work, so is there another way to reach this menu?

More importantly, if I have some footage that is 1280x720, why is it that it always "imports" as 720x576? It says "convert footage to:", but I do not wish to convert, I want my video to be imported the way it is, but it doesn't allow me to change it.
Lastly, why does it always import into an entirely new project file? How do I import straight into the current file I am working on, for eg. into a new layer I created, or into a specific place on the time line?

Frustrated beyond belief, as this shouldn't be such an issue...

Edit: This is also the case with importing image sequences.
ematecki
Site Admin

Re: Importing video footage issues

Post by ematecki »

Well, in my version, just like in almost any piece of software, I have File > Open...
And in that panel, I have tabs enabling me to choose among import as a new project, a new clip, or a new layer...

Which codec is used in your video ?
Here, every video I tried opens with its native size.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Spooks

Post by Spooks »

ematecki wrote:Well, in my version, just like in almost any piece of software, I have File > Open...
And in that panel, I have tabs enabling me to choose among import as a new project, a new clip, or a new layer...

Which codec is used in your video ?
Here, every video I tried opens with its native size.
I'm not trying to open a video, I'm trying to import it into a project file I already have. I kind of figured it out, so it does end up importing into the layer, but now the frame rate is always screwed up. I made sure to import as 25 fps, but it always speeds through at warp speeds.Not sure how to fix that either. Also, need to know how to change the size at which the footage imports. The numbers are greyed out and seem to be stuck permanently on 720x576. It even says "footage width/height cannod be changed"... WHY?! It does it regardless of the size of my project. I even make sure "stretch to project size" is ticked, but no dice!
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Workaround: import the video into a new project. This project should have the exact same dimensions as the video. Check the framerate, if not correct change it via "Modify Project".
Leave this project open, then open your current project and use the Keyframer FX to import the video from the first project.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Spooks

Post by Spooks »

slowtiger wrote:Workaround: import the video into a new project.
Same issue. Stuck as "720x576" no matter what I do, it doesn't allow me to change it. Framerate still screwed... I've been at this for days, trying different methods. Nothing seems to work.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

You haven't answered ematecki's question: what codec are you attempting to import? What you are trying to do is very straightforward and shouldn't cause any trouble so the logical question is to tell us all you can about the source -- or better yet, upload it if possible, so that someone might test it.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

Sorry, we couldn't call the "File->Open" entry "File->Open or Import either as Project or Clip or Layer or Custom Brush", that was too long...

Which version of TVPaint are you using ?

Put that video up somewhere and post a link to it here.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Spooks

Post by Spooks »

Sorry, I'm using version 10, standard. And the specific video file I was trying to import is an .mov, though I have tried .avi, single images, image sequences, as well as different .mov files for testing purposes.
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Spooks wrote:Sorry, I'm using version 10, standard. And the specific video file I was trying to import is an .mov, though I have tried .avi, single images, image sequences, as well as different .mov files for testing purposes.
What version of TVPaint 10 do you have ? (10.X.X) If not already done, you should upgrade to the latest version, 10.5.2, and see if you still have issues.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

you can find your tvpa version nb in the title bar of the Help/ About ... panel
Spooks

Post by Spooks »

Thierry wrote:
Spooks wrote:Sorry, I'm using version 10, standard. And the specific video file I was trying to import is an .mov, though I have tried .avi, single images, image sequences, as well as different .mov files for testing purposes.
What version of TVPaint 10 do you have ? (10.X.X) If not already done, you should upgrade to the latest version, 10.5.2, and see if you still have issues.

Ahh, thanks for that. I did not realize there was a new version to be update, did not see anything about it on the TVP home page or on the Update/Upgrade page. It really should at least state on that page what the latest version is. I'm using 10.0.18, will be updating it now.

Updated to 10.5.2, and still no different...

EDIT: WOW. I have no idea what just happened but the project file I've been working on for weeks (made several backups) is now completely blank when I load it, after the update. When I try to play back, a window pops up saying "Mark in = Mark out !".. not sure what that means. I see a mar in and mark out button to the left and right of the timeline, clicking those does nothing. I have tried loading all my backup files and suddenly all of them are completely blank and empty. It even says my audio file and imported .mov files are missing, even though it's in the exact same location it always has been. It asked to "find it" I search and select the source file, and it keep bringing up the same thing over and over. "File missing, search for it", rinse and repeat... What is going on? My work is gone.
Eric Scholl

Post by Eric Scholl »

Weird, can you tell us what's the size of your project file ?
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

"Mark in = Mark out !"..
Well, your animation playback starting frame is the same as the ending frame.

Please send us your file via wetranfer, so we can check what's wrong.
Fabrice Debarge
Soom

Post by Soom »

I think it's the first time I hear something like that about TVPaint...
Spooks - could you please post your file here and the footage you want to import (at least some if it if it's too big)?
Also - what OS are you on? Windows, Mac?
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
CLO

Post by CLO »

Did you create a new clip in your project ?
If so, you could have the impression that your project is empty, but you are just in the wrong clip.