Problem with Wacom new drivers on Windows Vista

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
malcooning

Problem with Wacom new drivers on Windows Vista

Post by malcooning »

Whoever is running TVPaint (either version) on Windows Vista, there are issues with the Wacom drivers.

When you install new vista-compatible drivers for your tablet (mine is intuos3), there are some mis-recognitions with the vista pen-interface. the result is that there are minor delays between the clicking and tapping with the pen on the tablet and the actual drawing on the screen. the glitches are very small, but they make a big difference for the flow of the drawing. Some might not feel this, because of the way they use the pen. But I found it so frustrating that I almost returned back to XP.

I then found a thread on the Wacom forums, in which this issue is addressed: http://www.wacom-europe.com/forum/topic ... IC_ID=6966

Long story short, for the moment the new drivers are missing some functions of vista, so what you need to do is to uninstall any version of the drivers you have, and install version 4.98-2 (ftp://ftp.wacom-europe.com/pub/WINDOWS/pro496-8_int.exe

it certainly solved my problems!
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

Hi Malcooning,
This problem is the same than the one for Tablet PC : http://www.tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=584.

We will try to avoid this in the future.
Ex TVPaint Team
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

I went through the thread you pointed to, but I couldn't find mentioning of a similar problem. Of course they talk about numerous other problems, mainly the offset of the cursor on the screen, but the problem I had was that with the Vista drivers, even with optimal pen configuration in the control panel, there would be a small delay in the beginning of the drawing from the moment you put the pen onto the tablet surface. the same was happening with the right click button. So if you wanted to draw gently and fluidly, you'd have to calculate the delays into your strokes. Which is very frustrating.
But, as I mentioned above, the XP drivers solve this problem.