TV Paint crashes/won't open after install Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Anw6467

TV Paint crashes/won't open after install

Post by Anw6467 »

I just purchased a shiny new copy of TV Paint Animation. I installed it with no apparent issues. I didn't recieve any errors or anything like that, but now when I try to open the program it closes/crashes almost immediately. No error messages, the window just closes and TV Paint no longer appears as an active application. Interestingly though, I noticed the process keeps running, and if I try to open the program again it leaves another identical process running in the background. I left it running for some time and nothing seemed to happen.
I have the dongle plugged into my computer. The computer recognizes it and the drivers seem to be working.
I can't get the program to stay open long enough to see the activation code, much less to enter anything in the field.
I need to have the software running as soon as possible but I don't know what to do about this issue.
I'm running Windows 7 on a Dell XPS.
I'm not having similar problems with any other programs that I know of.
Does any one have any ideas?
Fabrice

Re: TV Paint crashes/won't open after install

Post by Fabrice »

Try to start holding the "ctrl" key.
The startup panel should open.
Then reset your confirguration. It might be somehow corrupted.
Fabrice Debarge
Anw6467

Post by Anw6467 »

Didn't work. I got the Startup panel, but resetting the configuration didn't change anything. It still closed almost immediately after loading.
And the first time I looked at the start up panel for too long, it closed out as well.
Anw6467

Post by Anw6467 »

I tried reinstalling the program but nothing changed.
I'm really at a loss here. I don't have any idea how to fix this- I don't know what's wrong.
And I need to have it working as soon as I can. If I didn't need it so badly, I wouldn't have paid for it. I'm a little frustrated that it won't work at all.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

grasping for blades of straw here... can you be downloading a 64 bit version onto a 32 bit computer?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Anw6467

Post by Anw6467 »

No, the other way around actually. I have 64 bit windows, but a 32 bit program.
Most 32 bit programs will still run on 64 bit windows- unfortunately TV Paint doesn't seem to offer a 64 bit version of the standard software.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Ah, got it. No help to you, but I must say I have never heard of a case such as yours; it's very odd. If you need to finish up something in a hurry, you must know you can insert your dongle into anyone's computer, download the demo,enter your codes and turn the demo into a fully functional application -- until someone figures out what's going on.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

Nope, not the demo.
You have to download the full software here : http://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/artic ... update.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise Paul is right, you can (and have the right to) use the software on any computer (even a Mac or Linux box), just plug your dongle in, and go ahead.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

And the first time I looked at the start up panel for too long, it closed out as well.
I'm not sure to understand what happened exactly.
Did the startup panel appear ? Did you reset your config ? Or did it crash when working on it ?
Does it crash (then what is the message ?) or does it close only ?
There shouldn't be any background task related to TVPaint when not running it.
Anw6467 wrote:I tried reinstalling the program but nothing changed.
I'm really at a loss here. I don't have any idea how to fix this- I don't know what's wrong.
And I need to have it working as soon as I can. If I didn't need it so badly, I wouldn't have paid for it. I'm a little frustrated that it won't work at all.
We will find what's wrong.
Some questions :

Is the dongle light on ?
What happen when you unplug the dongle and launch TVPaint ?
Are your sentinel drivers up-to-date ?
Are your Wacom drivers up-to-date ?
What happen when you download the lastest version from here : http://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/artic ... update.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ?
What happen on a fresh new Windows installation ?

nb : The 32 bit version of TVPaint does work on a 64 bit windows.
Fabrice Debarge
Anw6467

Post by Anw6467 »

Alright, in order.
Yes, the start up panel did appear. The first time I opened the program holding CTRL, I looked at the options for a little while and the start up panel closed itself.
I reopened the start up panel again and reset the config right away, and then opened TVPaint. As soon as the program finished loading, it "disappeared".
I have not gotten any error messages at all. The program simply closes or "disappears" almost immediately after loading, sometimes without even loading at all.
After it "closes" however, a process remains open on my computer that reads as such:
Name: TVPaint Animation 10 (32bits).exe *32
Memory: 124K
Description: TVPaint Animation 10 (32bits)
Selecting end process doesn't do anything, it only stops when I restart the computer.
A new process like this appears every time I try to open TVPaint.

The dongle light is on. If I unplug it and then launch TVPaint I receive an error that says the dongle should be plugged in and then it closes/crashes. Or, it closes/crashes while loading, before it can display an error.
My sentinel and wacom drivers should both be up to date. I installed the sentinel drivers that came on the disk and later installed the newest ones directly from their website. I also recently installed the newest wacom drivers.
My computer recognizes both the dongle and my tablet without issues that I know of.

I can't download TVPaint from the website because I haven't been able to register my software yet. It closes out or crashes long before I can enter any information at all- such as the lock/unlock codes.
As such I haven't received an unlock code at all yet.
I managed to get the lock code by hitting the "screen capture" key. The program loaded long enough to show the registration window with the lock code on it, but crashed almost immediately afterwards.
The user manual talks about the software registration page, but I can't find it anywhere on your website, and the user manual also kindly says you can send it to TVPaint via email, but nicely enough doesn't mention what email address to use.

I would prefer to avoid a clean install of windows. Getting a completely clean install would require backing up all my personal files, wiping the computer clean and then reinstalling everything all over again. Also, I don't know if I ever was given a CD for installing Windows. My computer came with it already installed and a registration key printed on the top, but if I ever had a CD, I don't have it now. I could possibly do a factory reset, but that also requires a lot of work to back up files and reinstalling all my programs, and there's no guarantee it will help.
I will try this if I can, but I would prefer it to be a last resort.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, however, now if I go into "Programs>uninstall" or under TVPaint 10>Uninstall, neither works. In any case, uninstalling and reinstalling the program itself changed nothing.

I've noticed the program seems to stay open a little bit longer if it's behind another window. It still closes out/crashes, but it stays long enough to load the "register the software" window.

Lastly, I am a student, and as such I'm very busy during the week. Me not replying doesn't mean I fixed it, it means that I don't have time to try to fix it. I also have a desktop and live off campus, so I can only work with my computer in the very early mornings before I go to class, or in the evenings when I get home. Also, on weekends.
It's crucial that I be able to utilize my evenings and weekends for animation, but to do that I need the program to work, and unfortunately, there's not a lot of time for me to spend fixing things (another reason I'm hesitant to reinstall windows. It requires a lot of time to properly back up everything and then get the computer running again)
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Anw6467 wrote:I can't download TVPaint from the website because I haven't been able to register my software yet.
I'll give you your codes by PM !

Don't worry, we will do our possible to help in fixing this issue ASAP !
It's not in our habits to let a TVPaint user without answer.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Just a shot into darkness: does your USB port work properly, or did you experience problems with other USB devices than the dongle?
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Me not replying doesn't mean I fixed it,
Nobody said that here ... We are all wanting to help you as we do with every user.
Please test with the codes provided by Elodie.
If it still doesn't work, she will provide you something else to try.
Fabrice Debarge
Anw6467

Post by Anw6467 »

I was really hoping the update would fix it. Got my hopes up, was crossing my fingers for it to work, but no dice.
Still the exact same issue as before. No issues or errors in the download, but the program still closes mysteriously with no error messages or apparent causes. Once again, it opens, goes to the loading screen and crashes immediately after loading or during loading with no error messages. None from the program or from my computer.
:cry:
slowtiger wrote:Just a shot into darkness: does your USB port work properly, or did you experience problems with other USB devices than the dongle?
Yes, the USB port works. I checked it in multiple ports to be sure. Other USB devices like my tablet, my phone charger, my flash drive, etc all work in the ports, and the computer recognizes the dongle and the drivers just fine.

Fabrice wrote: Nobody said that here ... We are all wanting to help you as we do with every user.
Please test with the codes provided by Elodie.
If it still doesn't work, she will provide you something else to try.
I know noone said that, but it's something that happens on forums sometimes, if a person doesn't respond for a while it's sometimes because they solved it and said nothing about it. Not any kind of reflection on the people running the forum or people helping, just an issue I know that comes up.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Perhaps technical support would offer the option to download an earlier version of TVPaint... and see if that will install properly. If it does, at least you will have a working version until the problem with 10.5 on your system is resolved. I've had numerous versions simultaneously installed on my system and all would run without interference of the others...

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB