TIFF export

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
regenbot

TIFF export

Post by regenbot »

I'm having trouble exporting Tiff sequence. It just exports one image. jpg sequence works fine.

Is it broken? Or am i stupid.

Win 7 64bit
TVPaint Pro 10.5.4 64bit

Cheers, Heikki
Elodie

Re: TIFF export

Post by Elodie »

I'm on a Mac I don't have any problem here.

But why are you using TIFF ? it's an heavy file format, you should better use PNG :)
regenbot

Post by regenbot »

Mainly because my educators adviced on using tiff, I'll use PNG for now then.
But sure would be nice to get the tiff expoting to work too :)
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Your educators need re-educating. TIFF is for print; JPEG or PNG for video.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
regenbot

Post by regenbot »

Isn't there a risk of quality degrading if you pack the image. I mean if you export it to JPEG and do some work on After Effects and the again export to JPEG it bound to look like crap eventually? no?
Paul Fierlinger wrote:Your educators need re-educating. TIFF is for print; JPEG or PNG for video.
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

With JPEG, yes, because it is a lossy compression.
With PNG, no, it is a lossless compression.
That's also why compressed PNGs are bigger than compressed JPEGs, they have to keep all the information while JPEGs throws away all details up to a certain "size".
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
regenbot

Post by regenbot »

Ok, nice i'll have to try to educate my educators then : )

ematecki wrote:With JPEG, yes, because it is a lossy compression.
With PNG, no, it is a lossless compression.
That's also why compressed PNGs are bigger than compressed JPEGs, they have to keep all the information while JPEGs throws away all details up to a certain "size".
Paul Fierlinger

But aren't JPEGS better for certain conditions and PNGs for other ones? I use JPEGs for video sequences that aren't intended to be further worked upon and they play better in an NLE than PNGs. I see no difference in the quality of the imagery, except for the better quality of playback speed in the editing process.

Of course, if just the creation of an AVI is not the final destination than PNGs should be the choice. Am I mistaken? Would I be better off using PNG sequences rather than JPEG AVIs even if I am not planning on doing anythnig else than having my project converted to one of those e-book proprietary formats I know nothing about yet (but should start learning)? :roll:
Paul
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

PNG/QT with PNG is my format of choice as long as I haven't done anything final for distribution. I never know when a client asks for some printable stills, or I need something to use it in another project again. So all my inhouse files are best quality all the time, and only stuff which goes outside is compressed.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

JPEG is intended for final output, not for further processing.

So if you will never change the JPEGs again (like for preview in your NLE), it's OK.

For converting to mp4 (that ebook format), if you don't compress your JPEGs too much, I guess it's OK...
But be sure to try with your most detailed scene and several JPEG compression values before converting the whole project !
Paul Fierlinger

With Tulip I had to convert my AVIs to PNG sequences for the purposes of filmmout (35 mm film) where the lab scans individual digital frames to individual film frames. Do you know if the process to e-books also involves such scanning technology? Could you perhaps point me to a reliable source of information where I could read up on this technology?
Paul
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

It is essentially selecting the right codecs with the right parameters in the NLE before exporting.
So any file loadable by the LNE should be fine.

But because of DRMs, there are some additional steps involved, and my knowledge stops there...
This may or may not happen in another app than the NLE.
kariP

Post by kariP »

regenbot wrote:sure would be nice to get the tiff expoting to work too
Heikki, it seems the exportee needs some zeroes in the end. For example, "example000" should export the tiff sequence.

But, PNG sounds like the way to go from now on.
Windows 10 (64 bit), 8gb ram, intel i5 10400f. TVpaint 11.7
Soom

Post by Soom »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:But aren't JPEGS better for certain conditions and PNGs for other ones? I use JPEGs for video sequences that aren't intended to be further worked upon and they play better in an NLE than PNGs. I see no difference in the quality of the imagery, except for the better quality of playback speed in the editing process.

Of course, if just the creation of an AVI is not the final destination than PNGs should be the choice. Am I mistaken? Would I be better off using PNG sequences rather than JPEG AVIs even if I am not planning on doing anythnig else than having my project converted to one of those e-book proprietary formats I know nothing about yet (but should start learning)? :roll:
Basically JPEGs are only good for internet, or storing Photos for viewing, not really for any video or animation work. But then again - you refer to JPEG AVI, which is not the same as JPG image sequence... I wouldn't use any of these for any final product. Of course JPG with very high quality setting would produce almost a losless image, but then it loses it's size benefit - then just use PNG anyway.
e-books normally use a lower quality format video, than TV or Cinema , so that should be of less concern, but there are limitations, which depend a lot on a destined device (ipad, android, kindle, etc.) so this should be checked by a developer.
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Paul Fierlinger

e-books normally use a lower quality format video, than TV or Cinema , so that should be of less concern, but there are limitations, which depend a lot on a destined device (ipad, android, kindle, etc.) so this should be checked by a developer.
I never realized this but of course it does make sense now that you say it and this is the format I am heading for.
Paul