Selecting a colour range

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
David_Fine

Selecting a colour range

Post by David_Fine »

Is there a tool for selecting a specific colour range rather than the magic wand, which is bound by the edges? That is, if you have red blobs, it selects all the red blobs even though they are not touching each other. In Photoshop this tool is the "select by colour range" tool.
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
Elodie

Re: Selecting a colour range

Post by Elodie »

What is the final purpose ? Changing the red blobs into blue blobs ? If so, FX stands for this.
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Yes, I want to change the colour, or adjust the colour of the red blobs. The FX panel doesn't do this for me because I want to select only that colour and then adjust it live so I can see the change happening, much as I would in Photoshop. That is, if I feel a colour needs to be a little different in some way, I want to slowly change it and see the change happening so that I can choose the best adjustment. FX seems to be more about swapping a colour you already know you want to swap. There is no colour wheel that I can see in FX, just a picker. What if the colour I want to change is not visible anywhere to pick from? Maybe the answer is to play with colour design in Photoshop and then simply make the change happen in TVPaint once that has been determined, but I wondered if I could do it right in TVPaint. Or maybe there is a different FX tool that I have not noticed.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

David_Fine wrote:Yes, I want to change the colour, or adjust the colour of the red blobs. The FX panel doesn't do this for me because I want to select only that colour and then adjust it live so I can see the change happening, much as I would in Photoshop. That is, if I feel a colour needs to be a little different in some way, I want to slowly change it and see the change happening so that I can choose the best adjustment. FX seems to be more about swapping a colour you already know you want to swap.
If you want to change a color, you can use the FX Color Replacer.
If I understand you correctly, you would like to use the FX Color Adjust, but only on one color ? If so, that is not possible.
There is no colour wheel that I can see in FX, just a picker.
Yes, that is not possible with the current architecture.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Thierry wrote:...
If I understand you correctly, you would like to use the FX Color Adjust, but only on one color ? If so, that is not possible.
yes, it's possible, but not right away, it will require some extra steps to achieve that ;

actually, here's my way when I want to tweak a color (or color range)
with previewing the changes before to apply it :
- duplicate your color layer,
- Color-Key the upper one (or more complex, but much better : use the advanced Keyer),
to isolate (define) the color area to modify,
- turn this layer to Stencil and Hide it,
- then, play (preview) with any color fx to change the color of the color layer (underneath),
(Color Slider is my favorite for fine tuning)

it's not a "one clic" thing,
it's basically what the Color Replacer FX does, but with more controls on the Matte setting
(colors to affect / colors to protect, shrink / expand area, edge bluring, spill removing, ...)
clic on it to see the animated gif
clic on it to see the animated gif
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Yes, you're right, you can do it, but that's quite tedious.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

But for such an image, it would be as tedious with Colour range selection on Photoshop.
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

No, in Photoshop you do not have to recreate anything else. You can select by colour range, or just using the magic wand, and then as you make adjustments to brightness, or levels or whatever, you see it happening in preview right as you are doing it. If you like it, you hit OK and it is done. Very easy. I don't see the option within TVPaint to make live adjustments that you can see happening as you do it. In any case, the work around described is a bit of a hassle (although thanks for explaining).
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada