Different brush sizes

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
David_Fine

Different brush sizes

Post by David_Fine »

Just curious, what are people's working method for different brush sizes? Do you make a panel with a variety of line weights and select one or another depending on what you need, or do you have one single pen and put them in the bin in the brush panel? I have not been using the bin because as far as I can see, it is not specific to a brush, but just a holding place for any and all brushes you put there and all the brushes of various sizes put in the pin have the exact same name with no way to change it, so the bin just doesn't work. Thinking about it, it would be really great if the bin was always specific to the brush you are using so that you could make a brush set like that. Or maybe you can?

Anyway, just wondering how others organize their brushes when they need a range of the same brush in various sizes.
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
neonnoodle

Re: Different brush sizes

Post by neonnoodle »

To answer your first question, I like variable lines on everything I do, so I just use the free-resize command all the time. I have a few different brushes in the bin which have more general Big/Medium/Small sizes, but I don't have "5px brush," "10px brush" level of need. I don't even like to do cleanup in the first place because I like the pencil test look.

However, for your other question about putting different-size brushes in the bin, you can rename them according to size even if they're all the same brush. Let's say you capture a brush at 5px diameter; then you enlarge it to 20px and capture another version right next to it in the bin. Right-click on the button in the bin and go to Edit, then you can type in the size as the name so you can tell the difference between them.
David_Fine

Re: Different brush sizes

Post by David_Fine »

Yeah, that's what I expected to do, but there is no Edit option when I right click on a brush in the bin. Is this an 11 thing? I guess, at the end of the day, having a bin of brushes or a palette of brushes amounts to the same thing, so might as well stick with my palette. I use different line weights because of either different character size or the resolution of the scene.
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada