What's with the Library feature?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
David_Fine

What's with the Library feature?

Post by David_Fine »

So I am now pleased to be using TVPaint 11. I heard much about the new Library feature, but I must be missing something so I wonder if anyone can provide some hints about why this is useful. The online documentation about this feature is minimal. Here's what I know:

You can store some instances or images in it for reference. How is this different than plopping instances and images on a spare layer which you turn on when you need to access them? What else can you store in the library which you can't otherwise store on any layer in the project? What if I want a library from scene A to open in scene B? Is that possible? Any library tips so I understand it's function and use would be good. The online manual just says I can store some pictures there, so not really understanding how this helps me.
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
Fabrice

Re: What's with the Library feature?

Post by Fabrice »

one insteresting use of the library is the "image" guide :
http://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index. ... ides-image" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, a library image can be used in the FX Stack when a FX is requiring source (like the keyframer).
Fabrice Debarge
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

And the size of the images are not related to the size of your project.
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Libraries are embedded with their projects so if you have created color model sheets or any project specific color samples or reference images, these become automatically available to whomever will be working next with this project.

Libraries automatically become the storage place for textures when using the CTG layer.

Libraries are convenient places to store copies of earlier project layouts to be used as references in cases of continuity.

The library is a good place to store Screen Prints of your GUI in cases where you need to create a new configuration but need a reference guide to recreate your original GUI setup.

I have used the library to lineup lengthy series of selfies of my hand to use as "Muybridge" style models when I needed to animate the way a certain knot is tied, or series of snapshots we took of our dog to study animal locomotion. To do the same on a layer is very cumbersome because the positioning of such reference images is not as flexible as the library.

Just a note of warning: after entering a new image always remember to hit your project's save button if you want to preserve the new entry.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

The library can be used in différent interesting ways :
- as guide images through the guidelines
- as an élément to warp with the warp tool (and you can emulate vectorial animation, in a very limited way of course)
- as a texture to apply through à CTG layer
- as an object to move through FX. It works pretty well with the multiplane caméra (I'll show an example as soon as i will arrive at the office).
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

I understand Paul's use, for storing references and things you want to look at while working on a scene. Elodie's points sound very interesting, but I am unclear what they mean. Elodie, can you please explain a bit more what you mean by these four points?
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Some explanations while my dinner is being baked :p
- as guide images through the guidelines
This chapter of the online documentation should help you : http://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index. ... ides-image" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- as an élément to warp with the warp tool (and you can emulate vectorial animation, in a very limited way of course)
For the Warp tool, once again the online documentation should help you : http://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index. ... sform-warp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; : you can choose the source from the Library
- as a texture to apply through à CTG layer
http://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index. ... turing-add" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
You can choose a texture from the Library of from a file.
- as an object to move through FX. It works pretty well with the multiplane caméra (I'll show an example as soon as i will arrive at the office).
I don't have a TVPaint at home, but for some FX like the multiplane camera, the source can be chosen from the Library.

One of the main advantages of the Library is that you don't have to create multiple layers to store your images, textures..., you can easily reuse them instead of loading them each time (for the texturizing process) or having lots of layers.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Thierry wrote:...
One of the main advantages of the Library is that you don't have to create multiple layers to store your images, textures..., you can easily reuse them instead of loading them each time (for the texturizing process) or having lots of layers.
an other (main) advantage imo is that the images stored in the Library are not project's size dependent,
so it replaces favorably the secondary projects we had to open before this Library feature introduction in tvpa.