Audio problem- Strange 'beat' sounds Topic is solved

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Elodie

Re: Audio problem- Strange 'beat' sounds

Post by Elodie »

I got the problem today during my training in Japan : it was on a file that never had any problem before (le fichier SOTS avec le chien). Looks like it occurs only with MAC 10.10 (David, can you confirm you are using MAC OS 10.10 ?)
furushil

Post by furushil »

I opened my file with TVPaint 11.0.1 32 bit and the clicks don't appear there.

But back to the 64 bit version. I have both (identical) sound files, the mp3 and the wav, in my MASTER sound drop down menu. When I add both files, the mp3 has the clicks but the wav has not. Now when I choose "reload all sound tracks" the clicks seem to disappear from the mp3 track.

Also, sometimes when I open my file and have only the wav sound added to it, the clicks also appear, but again when I choose "reload all sound tracks" the clicks seem to disappear.

I hope that helps.
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

furushil wrote:I hope that helps.
That helps a LOT ! Thanks Furushil. :)
Fabrice Debarge
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

I am using version 11, but the problem existed in 10.5 too. I use .wav files and sometimes it fixes the problem if I reload the files, but not always. I usually have to quit TVP completely, but that doesn't always fix it. I just keep trying reloading and quitting and eventually, it somehow gets fixed, but it's a huge pain. I'm glad you have seen it for yourself so that you know what we are experiencing and I hope it can be addressed as a priority for Mac users.
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

ok, it's an FFmpeg rounding bug, so it won't occur in the 32 bit version of TVPaint.
We will do our best to fix it in the next sub-version.
Fabrice Debarge
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Great. Any idea when that might be? Are we looking at weeks or months?
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

FFmpeg should be in our dev planning in a few months, expecially to have better .mp4 & .mov export f.i.
But if it can be done easily (hard to know with FFmpeg ...) before, we will do it.
Fabrice Debarge
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

furushil wrote:I opened my file with TVPaint 11.0.1 32 bit and the clicks don't appear there.

But back to the 64 bit version. I have both (identical) sound files, the mp3 and the wav, in my MASTER sound drop down menu. When I add both files, the mp3 has the clicks but the wav has not. Now when I choose "reload all sound tracks" the clicks seem to disappear from the mp3 track.

Also, sometimes when I open my file and have only the wav sound added to it, the clicks also appear, but again when I choose "reload all sound tracks" the clicks seem to disappear.

I hope that helps.
Well, this is odd ... I found the exact opposite with .wav files . If I load the .wav soundtrack normally there are no clicks. But if I "reload all sound tracks" now the clicks appear. (TVPaint 11.0.1 , 64bits, Mac OS 10.9.4 )

Has there been any progress on fixing the issues with FFmpeg that are causing this in the 64 bit version ? This is actually a rather serious bug.

------

Here is something else odd that I have noticed: Sometimes when I load a .wav file it plays to the end of the dialogue and then a bit of the dialogue at the end is repeated . (this doesn't happen on all .wav files and I can not figure out why it happens on some and not on others) . The repeated part of the dialogue is not on the original track , it only happens in TVPaint. (for instance , importing the .wav into Audacity or Adobe Audition there is no repetition/duplication of part of the sound )

For example : if the .wav track has someone speaking the line : "Pardon me, would you please tell me the time ?" it plays like this in TVPaint :

"Pardon me , would you please tell me the time? ... the time ? "

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
furushil

Post by furushil »

D.T. Nethery wrote:This is actually a rather serious bug.
I think many people have this problem.
Yesterday, I watch this very recent 11 second club entry by Borja Montoro, where you can also hear the clicks.
http://www.11secondclub.com/competition ... try/rbiyRt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

D.T. Nethery wrote:
Sometimes when I load a .wav file it plays to the end of the dialogue and then a bit of the dialogue at the end is repeated . (this doesn't happen on all .wav files and I can not figure out why it happens on some and not on others) . The repeated part of the dialogue is not on the original track , it only happens in TVPaint. (for instance , importing the .wav into Audacity or Adobe Audition there is no repetition/duplication of part of the sound )

For example : if the .wav track has someone speaking the line : "Pardon me, would you please tell me the time ?" it plays like this in TVPaint :

"Pardon me , would you please tell me the time? ... the time ? "

I get this as well. I agree, it's a rather serious bug!
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

The other problem which does cause me some headache is the repeated end of an audio file. As previously mentioned, it plays in full and then repeats the last bit. I use my audio to confirm the length of the scene I am animating but that doesn't work if the audio is messed up like this. It did not happen in version 10.5, so it's a new bug.

This brings me to another issue which came up because the audio was not reliable for scene length. Why does the timeline start on frame 0 instead of frame 1? The first frame is the first frame. If I want a scene to be exactly 24 frames, in TVPaint, I have to end it on frame 23 because the first frame is counted as frame 0. That makes no sense to me, so why is it like this?
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
2dbert

Post by 2dbert »

i think the start frame can be altered in the startup panel to 1. Also, i remember an older thread with a script command to alter it. Oh, here it is.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4162&p=34431#p34421" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mac OSX Version 10.9 - 2GHz Intel Core 64(? I think so at least)bit - 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
Yiynova MSP19U
TvPaint Animation 11.0.6 Pro
furushil

Post by furushil »

In TVP11 it is easier than ever before to change the start frame.
You can do that at the bottom of the timeline panel.
start frame.png
start frame.png (39.57 KiB) Viewed 28369 times
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Oh my gosh, what a stunningly simple solution. Thank you!!!
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

furushil wrote:In TVP11 it is easier than ever before to change the start frame.
You can do that at the bottom of the timeline panel.

Yes, in the Start Up Panel set the project start frame to 1 , OR use the new menu at the bottom of Timeline Layer panel to set the Start Frame to 1 . The good thing now is that if you set the start frame to 1 in that menu at the bottom of the Timeline Layer panel , then the next time you start TVPaint the start up will be frame 1 , not frame 0 . The exception is if you open a previous TVPaint project that had been set to start on frame "0" then it will reset the start frame preference to 0 and you will have to re-set it to start at frame 1.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1