Color Calibration? And Dual Monitor Color Calibration?

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
TheQuestionMark

Color Calibration? And Dual Monitor Color Calibration?

Post by TheQuestionMark »

I was wondering in TVPaint, how do you calibrate the colors? I have two monitors. One seems different than the other. What do you do to calibrate the colors in TVPaint? Is there a setting in TVPaint to calibrate the colors? With dual monitors how do you sync the color calibration? And Which gets calibrated over the other monitor when you have dual monitors?
Windows 10 64-Bit TvPaint Professional 11.5.3 (64-Bit)
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Color Calibration? And Dual Monitor Color Calibration?

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

You have to calibrate and set the monitors. TVP presents true colors but the monitors have their way with the truth. Having said that, the best solution for obtaining unity of colors between monitors is to start off with expensive, high quality ones. Sandra and i have 8 monitors between the two of us and can't afford to buy eight of the most expensive monitors so we each have just one of those and that's the one we use where we need to see the colors at their truest; Sandra paints, so her project panel is the top model one. I only draw so my top model monitor is the one I use as my preview display monitor in Vegas but in TVP I use it where I stick scrap images because how much does it matter that each monitor displays colors differently; really?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
TheQuestionMark

Paul Fierlinger wrote:You have to calibrate and set the monitors. TVP presents true colors but the monitors have their way with the truth. Having said that, the best solution for obtaining unity of colors between monitors is to start off with expensive, high quality ones. Sandra and i have 8 monitors between the two of us and can't afford to buy eight of the most expensive monitors so we each have just one of those and that's the one we use where we need to see the colors at their truest; Sandra paints, so her project panel is the top model one. I only draw so my top model monitor is the one I use as my preview display monitor in Vegas but in TVP I use it where I stick scrap images because how much does it matter that each monitor displays colors differently; really?

So how do you calibrate the monitor? Do you use Nvidia Settting to Calibrate your monitor, or just the Display Panel? Which is better? Nividia Settings or the Display Panel?
Paul Fierlinger

Sandra says both. She uses nVidia's calibrator and the monitor's calibrator, which is called "Factory Default". She favors NEC monitors and hers is a Graphics model especially designed for graphics oriented end users (but the rest of her lower grade monitors are also NEC).

I use Sony Vegas' color bars but In the end, the real calibrators are the viewer's TV sets or computer devices' screens so what are you going to do? I wouldn't sweat the issue too far if I were you, but of course, I don't know what your end product's markets are. If it's film festivals you are lucky if the screener is kept in focus. :|
Paul
TheQuestionMark

Paul Fierlinger wrote:Sandra says both. She uses nVidia's calibrator and the monitor's calibrator, which is called "Factory Default". She favors NEC monitors and hers is a Graphics model especially designed for graphics oriented end users (but the rest of her lower grade monitors are also NEC).

I use Sony Vegas' color bars but In the end, the real calibrators are the viewer's TV sets or computer devices' screens so what are you going to do? I wouldn't sweat the issue too far if I were you, but of course, I don't know what your end product's markets are. If it's film festivals you are lucky if the screener is kept in focus. :|
Right I'm toying to render single piece illustration and uploading to pixiv and DA. So it's really the other side that calibrates the monitor? I always thought the files like .jpg and .png always attaches your color profiles ,so that it always looks the same on every other monitor. Am I wrong?
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

I had this problem too, dual monitor config (one Dell, the other Belinea),
with quite different displays rendering with their factory (default) settings.
I had to use a colorimeter device to analyse and set the RGB colors balance of each monitor,
and make them match (as close as possible).
I used an Eye-One device which was combined with a nice peace of software, the colorimeter must be hanging over the screen, like this :
then the software will make the job, it takes some times, but imo it worth it.
you can also set (and store) different display profiles, and swap from one to the other when needed.

basically, a color calibration is required every time you change for (or add) a new monitor.
Paul Fierlinger

Yes, I thought of mentioning this too, but we had tried out something called the spider which uses 4 suction cups sucked to the monitor's surface from where it senses all the changes as the software runs through a bunch of tests, but I hadn't brought it up because it was very complicated and difficult (for us) to use -- expensive too, so we had to return it. What you show here looks much simpler and sounds friendlier. We might want to look into it ourselves, though I must say, Sandra's unusual perception of colors has served her pretty well.
Paul