Split an instance

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
David_Fine

Split an instance

Post by David_Fine »

I have an instance held for 12 frames. I just want to split that instance in two, so say, 6 and 6. I will then change the second version of the instance. What is the quick and easy way to split an instance at the place where the play head is? I can't find this anywhere.
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Split an instance

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

It's in the Animator Panel which you should find under the Custom Panels tab. Caveat: Make sure that the frame at which you want to create this split isn't highlighted. If it is, it'll create a superfluous, one frame layer. So to prevent that from happening (easy to reverse if it does with Undo) just click under the frame.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

David_Fine wrote:I have an instance held for 12 frames. I just want to split that instance in two, so say, 6 and 6. I will then change the second version of the instance. What is the quick and easy way to split an instance at the place where the play head is? I can't find this anywhere.
In the Keyboard Shortcut window its: "Layer: Exposure: Break".
I can't find this specific funtion in any custom panel nor in main menu. If someone can clearly point out to me where in the interface I can find this option, I'd be helped as well.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
furushil

Post by furushil »

Sewie wrote:I can't find this specific funtion in any custom panel
It has been added to the "handy custom panel" since version 11.0.1
* The Break Instance option that was in TVPaint Animation 10's Animator Panel has been added to the Handy Panel (to have it, delete your Handy Panel, it will be recreated when you relaunch TVPaint).
break.png
break.png (32.07 KiB) Viewed 22590 times
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Strange then that I don't have that button....
And I'm certain I didn't delete it.
Exposure_Break_Button.jpg
Exposure_Break_Button.jpg (33.22 KiB) Viewed 22585 times
Can someone please upload that one button? I'll copy-paste it in my panel.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

if you have the last version of tvpa (if not, update) :
delete the Handy Panel, quit tvpa, and re-start it,
the missing icon should appear in the H.C.P.
Sewie wrote:...
* The Break Instance option that was in TVPaint Animation 10's Animator Panel has been added to the Handy Panel (to have it, delete your Handy Panel, it will be recreated when you relaunch TVPaint).
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:It's in the Animator Panel which you should find under the Custom Panels tab. Caveat: Make sure that the frame at which you want to create this split isn't highlighted. If it is, it'll create a superfluous, one frame layer. So to prevent that from happening (easy to reverse if it does with Undo) just click under the frame.
I don't have an "animator panel" in my Custom Panel menu. Where has it gone and how do I get it back??
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

ZigOtto wrote:if you have the last version of tvpa (if not, update) :
delete the Handy Panel, quit tvpa, and re-start it,
the missing icon should appear in the H.C.P.
Sewie wrote:...
There you go, another example of secret info you can only find by asking here. I did as ZigOtto said and it worked, but why the heck does a user need to seek out this secret info on this forum? When you upgrade, why does this not appear all by itself? It does frustrate me how many things I need to learn from you guys, although I am very grateful for your help. I just think TVPaint might lose some new users because of the strange lack of comprehensive info like this example. Thank you. Glad to get this solved.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

David_Fine wrote: There you go, another example of secret info you can only find by asking here.

I did as ZigOtto said and it worked, but why the heck does a user need to seek out this secret info on this forum? When you upgrade, why does this not appear all by itself? It does frustrate me how many things I need to learn from you guys, although I am very grateful for your help. I just think TVPaint might lose some new users because of the strange lack of comprehensive info like this example. Thank you. Glad to get this solved.
+1.

I don't think this should be happening in the public released version of TVPaint 11. It's ok for the beta testers to have to go through little rituals like deleting/restoring the Handy Panel each time a new beta version is installed , but to expect the average user to know that they must delete the previous Handy Custom Panel in order to get the new features in the updated version is not fair. As David Fine notes, how will someone who does not frequent these forums (and does not read every post) learn this information ?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Then, don't ask us to add new buttons into a default custom panel...

Custom panels depend exclusively from user's config.
So, if a new feature is added in a custom panel available by default, the old version of this custom panel must be deleted to get the new one.

If we forced overwriting default panel, you could also lose your own custom panels... I think that would be a worse solution...
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

I would have thought that the default panels, the ones that come standard with TVPaint, would update automatically, but I suppose what you are saying is that if a user customizes the default panel (which I have not, but others may have) then that customization would be lost. So the answer I guess is to just make it clearer to users that there are new default panels with new features and that the user can, if they want to, upgrade them because otherwise, I would not know to do that.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

David_Fine wrote:... So the answer I guess is to just make it clearer to users that there are new default panels with new features and that the user can, if they want to, upgrade them because otherwise, I would not know to do that.
it's clear enough imo, when a new tvpa update is released, before downloading and installing it, you just have to read carefully the "What's New ... " post, the top one of the "announcements" at the head of the Support section,
What's new in TVPaint Animation 11.0.1 ?

General :
* An option has been added in the Preferennces panel (Display tab) regarding drag and dropping images in the timeline :

if unchecked, behavior will be the same as 10.5 : no pop-up will appear when drag and dropping.
if checked, behavior will be the same as 11.0.0 : a pop-up will appear when drag and dropping.

* An AntiAliasing option has been added when using the Out Of Pegs feature of the Light Table.
* Peg Holes have been added in the Light Table display (for OOP) for previous and next images/instances/...
* When extracting colors form a CTG Layer, resulting layers have the same opacity as the original CTG layer.
* A Contiguous option has been added to the paint bucket, selection: magic wand, cutting tool: magic wand (works like Photoshop), alongside with a Display checkbox in the selection: magic wand.
ok, it could be more obviously pointed out from loads of other informations,
maybe the instruction mentioned to get the update of the Handy Panel could be enlighted somehow, with a warning icon preceding it, or a blinking text, or a larger text, in bold, or underlined, or in a flashy color, ... or both ...
(but wouldn't be too much ?)
* The Break Instance option that was in TVPaint Animation 10's Animator Panel has been added to the Handy Panel, to have it, delete your Handy Panel, it will be recreated when you relaunch TVPaint.
:mrgreen: