All custom panels and actions disappeared

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
Soom

All custom panels and actions disappeared

Post by Soom »

All of a sudden, TVPaint appears as if it was just installed. For years I have worked with my custom panels and buttons without loosing them, and now all lost - need to reinstall and recreate all of them again...
TVPaint used to crash on launch a lot for some while, so it might be related. Our tech guy has just reinstalled everything, so I hope it will be fine, but my custom panels are still gone.
Is there any way to preserve the configuration for the future, or somehow restore the lost panels?
My startup option is always "use last used configuration" and it never changed.
I am on PC Windows 7 and TVP 10.5.7 32bit
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Animark

Re: All custom panels and actions disappeared

Post by Animark »

As I know TVPaint stores all your custom panels in a special "default" folder.
Normally it is located in c:/users/username/AppData/Roaming/tvp animation 10 pro

You can have a look at there. But if your system admin installed the software new, the folder is probably overwritten with a new one. :-(

I use to export my panels always as .TVPX for the case of loosing my default folder.
TVPaint 10.5.7 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64
TVPaint 11.0.8 - Win10/64 (Wacom Companion 2)
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

As Animark said, you can take a look in the tvp animation 10 pro folder, that's where the configuration are stored.

In general, I would recommand saving your panels as TVPX from time to time, so you don't lose them when reinstalling the software.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Soom wrote:Is there any way to preserve the configuration for the future, or somehow restore the lost panels?
In my experience, I've found it prudent to have regular, multiple backups of the Default folder (and all of its subfolders), along with periodic backups of the current TVPaint folder (and all of its subfolders).

In a case where something like what happened to you happens, you can usually restore a previously backed up, Default folder... and all of your panels, scripts and buttons will be as they were when the Default folder was backed up.

As Animark points out, the Default folder can be found under c:/users/username/AppData/Roaming/tvp animation 10 pro.

Thierry's suggestion to periodically backup any updated custom panels into .tvpx files is also a good practice.

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Soom

Post by Soom »

Thanks for all the help!
Update:
I have checked the 'default' folder, but can't make much of it. Judging by the icon-thumbnails, all files belong to the default TVPaint installation, and in the CustomPanel folder, I didn't even understand how to open them - the *.dip files seem just to be icons...
Reinstalling didn't help - nothing changed, I still have TVPaint crashing occasionally.
We also tried system restore to some previous date - a strange thing happened: the panels were back, but most of the actions were just grey squares, and most of them didn't work.
I am still trying to find a solution, maybe revert some Windows updates (or on contrary - update Windows???)
Anyway, one thing for sure - from the moment I get it right, I will back up my default folder...
Ah, and yes - I do usually save my custom panels and keyboard shortcuts separately, but not all, as I occasionally add and tweak actions here and there... I wish we could be able to export the whole work-space with all the custom buttons and panels...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
nabblakusk

Post by nabblakusk »

I was having the same problem but then I found out that if youre in TvPaint go to Costom panels / Load a custom panel... an find a folder named plugins - C:\Program Files (x86)\TVPaint Developpement\TVPaint Animation 11 (32bits)\plugins and find what ever you need with the .bin ending it will load an be good as new. In my case it was the Handy panel I use that allot when adding and breaking instances.
Hope this helps
- nabblakusk
Soom

Post by Soom »

nabblakusk wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 16:29 I was having the same problem but then I found out that if youre in TvPaint go to Costom panels / Load a custom panel... an find a folder named plugins - C:\Program Files (x86)\TVPaint Developpement\TVPaint Animation 11 (32bits)\plugins and find what ever you need with the .bin ending it will load an be good as new. In my case it was the Handy panel I use that allot when adding and breaking instances.
Hope this helps
- nabblakusk
Thanks, but we are in 2018 already, so welcome to the future! :)
in any case, since that event, I always backup the whole Configuration folder, so I never loose any custom stuff.
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Soom wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 12:42I always backup the whole Configuration folder, so I never loose any custom stuff.
That's always a good idea! :)
hellofilms

Post by hellofilms »

Which folder is that?

I find a config txt file in the tvpaint 11 default folder.

/ Mattias
Windows 11 - TVpaint 11.7.1(dec 5 2022) pro - Wacom cintique 24 Pro
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Here are the locations:

Windows : C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\tvp animation 11

Mac : /Users/<username>/Library/tvp animation 11
To access it, click on the Go to menu, then keep the Alt key in: the Library folder will be displayed in the list.

Linux : /home/<username>/.tvp/tvp animation 11
To access it, go in your home folder, then hit CTRL+H to show hidden folders.
Soom

Post by Soom »

Also - it's just a good idea in general to have regular backups of the whole hard disk. I have an external disk attached to my Mac and Time Machine is backing up automatically. If anything is ever lost, I can always go even several months back, and retrieve the lost info. On Windows I used Cobian Backup - it's a free backup software with easy custom settings and many backup options, and just a separate folder for backups on the same hard disk (we didn't have extra hard disks at work, but still it's an effective preventive measure)