A Question about Tablet PC, Android and Nomad

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
QualiaD

Re: A Question about Tablet PC, Android and Nomad

Post by QualiaD »

Hey! Thanks for the reply. I'm probably looking at about the $1000-$1500 range, all told. The more I look the more I'm impressed with the Surface Pro 4 (in particular I would probably aim for the i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD model); is that something you (or anyone here) has had experience with, and if so has it stacked up for you against Wacom?
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I'd say that my only fear toward SP was the non-working right click on TVPAINT.
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

There seems to be a hidden right-click button ( see here )
I was considering the surface too, but chose the companion II, since it has two buttons on the pen (one for right-click, one for erase) and I couldn't live without the express keys on the side.
I've tried both in a store and didn't liked the surface of the surface ;) maybe I'm just more familiar with the Wacom surface, but to me the surface of the surface felt a bit slippery.

Oh the companion seems to be a bit more expensive
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
QualiaD

Post by QualiaD »

Thanks for the input schwarzgrau! I actually just got a chance to try out the Surface Pro 4 yesterday, and for me at least it felt like a great fit. The only drawback I can find is that it doesn't have tilt sensitivity (but then neither does my tablet of the last ~3.5 years, a Wacom Bamboo, so I'm not exactly going to be missing that functionality), otherwise the feel was perfect to me. For what it's worth though I'm by no means a professional artist, so to anyone reading this take my impressions with a grain of salt.

Also thank you for the heads-up as well Elodie! I'm a programmer by trade, so I think I should be able to remap the Surface Pro 4 pen button to do whatever I need in TVPaint (and to set the record straight it does indeed have a button—two actually, including the clickable eraser). That's certainly a very valid concern for some users though, so thank you for mentioning it!

Thanks so much again everyone for your help, if all goes as planned I'll probably make my purchase next week!
Soom

Post by Soom »

Just an update - so I finally have the Toshiba Encore 2 Write set up and running. It's a decent tablet for simple tasks if you are not around a Cintiq, or just need to have a tablet on the go. TVPaint runs very nice! Just Windows 10 interface is driving me mad! I guess just a matter of getting used to it. And I wish the Wacom driver was more customisable... The only 2 more serious problems I encountered are the battery life and availability of pen-nibs. Otherwise, a good economical solution.
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
at work: Windows 10, TVP 11.7.1 Std
https://vimeo.com/danas
Scott Roberts

Post by Scott Roberts »

Hello, I'm a Standard version user trying out TVPaint Pro on a Surface Pro.

One tip so far: I've found it works best if you turn off touch input. Otherwise it often interferes with the pen use, even if you have the option set to ignore touch when using pen. TVPaint is great on Surface Pro!...

...except for one thing: I can't figure out the shortcuts to switch between Rooms. The shortcut says "Ctrl Pad 1," but I have no idea what that is. Does it refer to the numeric pad on a standard keyboard? If so, the Surface Pro doesn't have one. When I try to reassign the shortcut to something else it doesn't work. Switching Rooms is critical to me using it on a tablet, since I need full screen. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Scott
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Thank you for your tip Scott.

Ctrl Pad 1 = Ctrl + 1 if you prefer.
Scott Roberts

Post by Scott Roberts »

Thanks for the fast reply Elodie!

Unfortunately though, Ctrl 1 and Ctrl 3 still don't work on the Surface. Maybe it's something in the system? Where does "pad" come from?

However, I did figure out why I was having trouble reassigning them to other shortcuts: the custom shortcuts are different in each Room! So I had switched them in Room 1, but not in Room 2. I had to do it twice, and now I can use V for Room 1 (normal layout) and W for Room 2 (full screen drawing). That's much better than a double-key combo, since I need to switch while drawing.

Thanks again,
Scott
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Pad just stands for keypad : you must use digits on the keypad. :)
Scott Roberts

Post by Scott Roberts »

The Surface doesn't have a keypad. The only numbers are at the top of the keyboard.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

That's probably why it won't work, unfortunately.
Soom

Post by Soom »

If you really need, you could buy a separate usb Numpad, but that means carrying one more device in your bag...
at home: Hackintosh Intel Core i9-9900K, GPU AMD RX 6600 8GB, Cintiq 22" + Dell P2415Q 4K displays, MAC OS High Sierra / Windows 10, TVP Pro 11.7.1 + TVP Pro beta
Soom

Post by Soom »

Hi guys! Back again to an old topic.
So, after my precious little Toshiba Encore 2 tablet was shamelessly stolen together with my backpack and other stuff from our car, that was robbed on the way to Annecy, I am looking into buying a new portable tablet.
I am currently looking into Microsoft Surface Pro 4. I checked reviews for Lenovo Yoga X1 and other tablets - so far the build of SP looks more comfortable in all respects and it looks more affordable. Unfortunately I have no way to try them, especially with TVPaint, so I would be happy to hear more opinions of people who already had experiences. One of the more serious questions - does the right-click functions as it should?
I was also thinking about Wacom Companion or Mobile Studio - all looks too expensive and I heard they have lot's of issues too. Buying a used Companion 1 might be an option financially, but is it any good at all?
thanks
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I would say I am not a big fan of Surface Pro 4 as a tablet. The stylus cannot is quite limited and it cannot be configured.
But as a computer, it's a good device and I was positively surprised to see how well it works with a larger Cintiq.

Fabrice bought a HP Spectre and he looks quite happy with it, but it's not a Wacom stylus either. If he has the time, he might give you a feedback about it.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Will do !
Fabrice Debarge