How to save the configuration of TVpaint

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
momo

How to save the configuration of TVpaint

Post by momo »

Hello,

I was wondering how can I save my TVpaint configuration?

On the forum it is said to back up the folder in appdata/roaming but there is nothing there, regarding TVpaint at least. Maybe because tvpaint reset itself recently?
momo
ten_zero

Re: How to save the configuration of TVpaint

Post by ten_zero »

momo wrote:Hello,

I was wondering how can I save my TVpaint configuration?

On the forum it is said to back up the folder in appdata/roaming but there is nothing there, regarding TVpaint at least. Maybe because tvpaint reset itself recently?
At first, Windows 7 SP2, right ?
When you can not see "appdata/roaming" that TVPAint FAQ adviced directory path, time to change your Windows "Exploler" file & directry view setting.
momo

Post by momo »

Thanks, I found the mistake: I was not in the right user folder. :oops:

Now i simply copy everything related to TVpaint from that folder? Is the system.ini also necessary?
momo
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

momo wrote: Now i simply copy everything related to TVpaint from that folder? Is the system.ini also necessary?
I can't say "yes" because I am not a TVPaint Animation for Windows user.

And now West Asia - North/South America area is off the office time - midnight.
Have you some friend at same time zone for your help who use Windows 7 PC and TVPaint Animation 10.x pro ; possibility of answer in your native language ?
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

momo wrote:...
Now i simply copy everything related to TVpaint from that folder? Is the system.ini also necessary?
I don't think so,
you just have to copy the config.ini file, or better (who can do more can do less), the whole config folder,
named "Default" or what ever folder's name if your current Config have been changed and saved as a new one.
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

The system.ini file is a one line text file that tells TVPaint which folder (normally the folder named default) where it will find the config.ini file and all folders of accompanying data that the config.ini file references.

Essentially, each time you start up TVPaint, the config.ini file is loaded back into memory and then configures TVPaint exactly like it was when you quit.

It is worth noting that each time you quit TVPaint, the updated config.ini file gets saved back out into the Default folder along with updates to all the data (new icons, new panels, new scripts, etc.) that have been added or modified or deleted during the current work session.

Also of interest is that you can have several different alternative folders that might contain variations of the Default folder's contents. If you change the system.ini file text to the name of the alternative folder (perhaps named AltDefault for example), then when you start up TVPaint, the system.ini file will make TVPaint load that config.ini file and accompanying data found in AltDefault, and save back to the AltDefault folder when you exit TVPaint.

As for backing up your current TVPaint configuration? Simply copy the contents of the Default folder to another location. That backup folder will contain a snapshot of the configuration at the moment you created the copy.

I try to manually copy an updated snapshot of the Default folder every month or so. I also have auto-backup software that makes a copy of the Default folder on my backup drive as part of its scheduled backup.

In my experience, All of the above info has proven to be accurate. Perhaps Fabrice or someone from TVPaint could confirm the details?
Sven
Last edited by Svengali on 30 Mar 2016, 12:13, edited 2 times in total.
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Svengali wrote:As for backing up your current TVPaint configuration? Simply copy the contents of the Default folder to another location. That will backup folder will contain a snapshot of the configuration at the moment you created the copy.
Everything has been said :)
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
momo

Post by momo »

Wonderful thanks a lot for the clear explanation!
momo
bluecarrot

Post by bluecarrot »

I would love "Save/Load Configuration" buttons under the file menu.
bluecarrot

Post by bluecarrot »

How is saving a room different or similar to saving the configuration? Could it servee the same purpose?
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

More or less, but not exactly.

When you savee a Room, you save 1 working space. When you save a config, you save all rooms, shortcuts, panels, etc.