Animated short "Seventeen" on piratebay.org

Share your custom panels, brushes, papers... (you need to be registered to read posts in this section)
hisko

Re: Animated short "Seventeen" on piratebay.org

Post by hisko »

Paul Fierlinger wrote:
I don't know....can you write music? Were you trained to do that?
No, I am not a musician so I prefer to leave this part to the best musicians I can find for the project. I have never, in all 50 years of my career, used anything else but original music composed by skilled composers and I've been told that I won't be able to do that because not all budgets allow for original music. All I can say is that every budget I have worked with permitted me to hire a composer.
That's very good. I like that. Where you allways satisfied? No bad experiences with composers killing your film?

p.s. You almost used the Dvorak's American suite for the opening of Tulip, glad you decided not to do that.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

hisko: some older stuff can be heard at http://www.slowtiger.de/musik.html but that's really just a very small part. Recently I found that somebody put me even on Discogs with my very first works: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Markus+(4). I'm in the process of digitizing stuff, so maybe some day there will be a chance to get this. I even did a musical in those days, but I'm not sure if I ever make that available again: everytime I listen to it I get beet-red.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Where you allways satisfied? No bad experiences with composers killing your film?
When I started out, say the first 20 years, stock music didn't even exist so it was either no music or original music.

I had only one really disappointing composer, a top-notch classical guitar player and I had barely enough money to pay for one instrument so I thought this guy would be perfect since I like the classical guitar very much. I liked his playing a lot, both on his sampler and his acoustic guitar. I asked him which one he prefers to play on, and he laughed and said, Always on the real guitar; it's both easier and sounds better. So then I asked which will he use for my film and he said, The sampler of course -- you are not paying me enough for the acoustic guitar, so I left and never came back to him.

I like to stay loyal to one composer as long as possible because then I can pay him less than he deserves when I have a low budget and have to pay myself less than I deserve, and later I can make up for both of us when a well paying job comes around. I select my composers first for the way they can take directions from me and only second how easily ideas come to them. The quality of their sampler software and how they use it has become a more important consideration lately as well.

Using one piece by someone like Dvorak in an eighty minute film is OK by my standards if there is a strong case for reverting to something very familiar. In those cases I still have to have the money to re-record the orchestra because the playing is usually still copyright protected.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
IceDelight

Post by IceDelight »

Excellent film Hisko! I mean really, really great, fantastic!

I'm afraid I haven't actually read all of this thread, got up to about page 3.

So none of this was done in TVPaint? CTP and Toonz? I've never heard of them :P I went to the CTP site and I wasn't impressed, but I guess it's a hidden gem or something. What version of Toonz did you use?

Thanks for your time.
hisko

Post by hisko »

Thanks a lot. Good to hear.

The film that we are currently working on "Junkyard" is being made in TVPaint, but "Seventeen" was indeed made with CTP.
I don't remember what version of Toonz I used for the openingshot, it's too long ago, I know that studio Ghibli works with it, but they use it just for compositing and coloring I guess.
For Seventeen I painted all backgrounds and made the animation on paper and than scanned them in, the coloring of the characters and the shading were done in CTP and the cameramovements too.
The camerafunction of CTP was good I think, although it crashed way too often. It´s not a program like TVPaint with good drawingtools etc.
Nowadays we draw all the animation directly in TVP. It saves lots of time and it's great too work directly in the same place where it can be played and tested and we can use brushes too make live easier.
The only thing that I really miss in TVPaint is a good camera. But I know that the TVPaintteam is working on it.