Improved Pencil

Share your custom panels, brushes, papers... (you need to be registered to read posts in this section)
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Tantalus wrote:i had the same problem:
i wanted to give a student of mine (win XP) my pencil.
she made a new custompanel imported the bin file
it looked right, had the icon but clicking it... the animbrush was not there!

i could not figure out what went wrong... very frustrating i'll tell you :x
I've given a look into it, and yes, it seems something's wrong,
probably due to the new way TVPA pro import/export the CP bin files.
btw,was she working with TVPA classic or TVPA pro ?

anyway, I have changed the Pencil_kit files, please try to uncompress
and import the bin as a new custom panel, and tell me if it works or not,
I'm waiting for your feed-back (OS + TVPA version infos required too).
(idem for CoreyAnimator)

edit: unable to upload the .zip file actually,
the server return me this silly message :
"General Error : Tried to upload empty file" :evil:

edit2: OK, I finally succeeded to upload it,
it will be a .rar file now!
Attachments
Pencil_kit.rar
(2.2 MiB) Downloaded 321 times
fabrice_

Post by fabrice_ »

"General Error : Tried to upload empty file"
it happens sometimes if you are uploading big files (> 5 Mo)

Fabrice Debarge / Beta-Team member / Author of the user-manual.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

fabrice wrote:
"General Error : Tried to upload empty file"
it happens sometimes if you are uploading big files (> 5 Mo)
in that case, the message should be :
"General Error : Tried to upload too large file", no?

plus, in the "Allowed Extensions and Sizes" link of this site,
it's mentioned "Archives -> Maximum Upload Size: 30 MB" :roll:
fabrice_

Post by fabrice_ »

you are right Zig.
Maybe should we wait for the administrator answer. :|

Fabrice Debarge / Beta-Team member / Author of the user-manual.
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

I tried to load the custom panel (the one with the problem) by the traditional way (RMB > load a new panel) and it perfectly work. I'm on Win XP.
The new one works too.

The problem you seem to have is that you miss the brushes parameters. Are you sure you have a folder with the same name than the .bin file and in the same repertory than this file?

If you have already the same problem with this new upload, try to copy and paste the content of the archive into the "Plugins" folder of TVP Animation (Pro) and then launch TVP Animation (Pro). The Custom Panel should open automatically. (Don't forget to delete the file and the folder you paste into the TVP Animation (Pro)>Plugins repertory cause the custom panel has been copied into you settings repertory.

Before testing this method, you should delete all "Pencil kit" panel by RMB >Delete on each one.
Ex TVPaint Team
CoreyAnimator

Post by CoreyAnimator »

Oh so this only works for Tvpaint pro? I apologize if so, didnt realize. I am having same trouble, but I am just using normal version.
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

CoreyAnimator wrote:Oh so this only works for Tvpaint pro? I apologize if so, didnt realize. I am having same trouble, but I am just using normal version.
It works for TVP Animation and TVP Animation Pro. I have tried the custom panel in both version.
Ex TVPaint Team
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

CoreyAnimator wrote:... I am having same trouble, but I am just using normal version.
weird... this last version should work in both TVPA version,
have you tried the second method (copy/paste into the plugins folder) mentionned by Patrice (see below)?
take care to delete the "old" pencil-Art_Kit.bin and .data before!
Patrice wrote:... If you have already the same problem with this new upload, try to copy and paste the content of the archive into the "Plugins" folder of TVP Animation (Pro) and then launch TVP Animation (Pro). The Custom Panel should open automatically. (Don't forget to delete the file and the folder you paste into the TVP Animation (Pro)>Plugins repertory cause the custom panel has been copied into you settings repertory.

Before testing this method, you should delete all "Pencil kit" panel by RMB >Delete on each one.
CoreyAnimator

Post by CoreyAnimator »

yeah the methods Pratice mentioned are the only wayz I've tried. I downloaded another plugin on this forum, the handy toolbar thing. It works but the pencils just change the color of whatever brush I am using but not the attriubutes, similar to this plugin for me. Dont know whats wrong, kinda strang,but don't worry about it. I apreciate the help and Im sure the pencil is amazing. Thanks for the assistance.
Patrice

Post by Patrice »

This plug-in only work with the last version of TVP Animation and TVP Animation Pro. You should update your version with the last trial. We only affirm all features works on the last trial and on the last official version cause updates are free.
Ex TVPaint Team
Boomslang

Post by Boomslang »

does anybody use this or a similar penciltool for their their cleanuplines? I never see that, most people allways tend to use the pentools. Why is that?

I figured I like using an edited version of this pencil on cleanuplines, a smaller size, jitter in the profile editor turned down to a minimum, opacity turned to 100 (and a spline in the profile editor). It makes the cleanupline less "clean" than the normal pentool, with little bumps here and there.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Boomslang wrote:does anybody use this or a similar penciltool for their their cleanuplines? I never see that, most people allways tend to use the pentools. Why is that?

I figured I like using an edited version of this pencil on cleanuplines, a smaller size, jitter in the profile editor turned down to a minimum, opacity turned to 100 (and a spline in the profile editor). It makes the cleanupline less "clean" than the normal pentool, with little bumps here and there.
Hey Vincent,
the pentool is very suited for cleanup, exactly because the line itself is clean.

if a line has a lot of structure or opacity it is much harder to make alterations to it that are not noticeable.
for the pentool this is much easier, because its completely black.

Another point to realize is that the line quality (or look of the line) in animation, although important, is much less important then it is in, for instance, illustration.
In the impression you get from any piece of animation, almost always will the motion of the lines 'overrule' whatever structure or 'look' they have.
So line-motion first, line-look second.... off course from this follows that when parts of your animation stand still for a long time, viewers do get to see the line quality and this will become more important.

But i like your suggestions for tuning the pencil tool.
Indeed with the changes you suggest here, my first point would be much less an issue. in fact the roughness of the line might even make line adjustments less noticeable.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Boomslang

Post by Boomslang »

When i clean up with the black linetool, over the rough sketch it almost never comes out nice, atleast not within a reasonable timespan, it takes very long. Very hard to draw good lines too.

I think the pencil tool allows me to clean faster and nicer. Anyway, I still have to prove this with an animation. It may indeed work better for illustration alone.
karltoonz

Re: Improved Pencil

Post by karltoonz »

thank you for the pencils! i am enjoying them immensely.

rich
Hosni

Re: Improved Pencil

Post by Hosni »

thanks all for those nice pencils really nice