MJ Out Of Pegs Panel

Share your custom panels, brushes, papers... (you need to be registered to read posts in this section)
D.T. Nethery

Re: MJ Out Of Pegs Panel

Post by D.T. Nethery »

dperro wrote:I don't think I saw those notes. With me, it was Chris and Schibs yelling at us repeatedly to "never shift and trace" and so I didn't.
Probably because they had seen how the technique could be abused and didn't want to go down that road.

When I was at Sheridan one of our first year teachers , Dick Friesen, used to walk around to our desks while we were working and say: "Put out that light ! Roll those drawings and eyeball it , ya lazy bastards" . He wanted us to inbetween entirely by rolling the drawings , making marks (dots or X's) as guides, and building up the in-between drawing lightly with blue pencil before finishing the drawing with black pencil , all while constantly flipping/rolling the drawings and turning on the backlight only to check the accuracy of our line placement , but with no backlight turned on while drawing . This was very good discipline to learn to inbetween that way. Actually, the exercises we were doing at that point were breakdown drawings between two extremes , not close line-between-line inbetweening. Later of course he admitted to us that pros use the backlight all the time for accurate close inbetweening and trace-backs , but he didn't want us getting attached to using the backlight as a "crutch" .

dperro wrote:Until one day when they pulled all the inbetweeners to look at a Ralph's eyes popping due to an inbetweener shifting and tracing. I was shocked to see it was a scene I tweened for Hilary. I went to Chris and told him I NEVER shift...and apologized to Hilary. The problem was due to the keys being far apart and NOT shifting. After that I figured it out and at some point Nik secretly pulled all the inbetweeners together and gave us a class on how to do it properly. Made my life a lot easier!
Well, that's it , of course. Like so many other things in animation there's a knack to doing it properly that one picks up along the way. (most of this stuff is hard to put into books ; usually it's passed along from artist to artist as you describe: "at some point Nik secretly pulled all the inbetweeners together and gave us a class on how to do it properly" .) The technique needs to be used with a certain discretion and a well-trained eye.

elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

For some reason when I push the END button of manual Flip I lose the drawing I'm working on. I can get it back by several undos but just for the info Mads.

M.
Mikko Vormala
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

elmisilhumano wrote:For some reason when I push the END button of manual Flip I lose the drawing I'm working on. I can get it back by several undos but just for the info Mads.

M.
Remember:
It only works on 3 drawings
Always press start begore flippimg
Always press end when finished flipping.

Else can you post a screenshot with you layer and the lighttable settings visible?
-mads
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

madsjuul wrote: Else can you post a screenshot with you layer and the lighttable settings visible?
-mads
Here is the screenshot.
After flipping I push the end button and the drawing is still there but when I move in a time line I lose the drawing. The number of needed undos seems to be relative of number of flippings. :shock:

M.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 9.53.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-12-17 at 9.53.43 PM.png (72.45 KiB) Viewed 2998 times
Mikko Vormala
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

I will look at it. I made the manual flipping more like a proof of concept im not really using it my self, wo maybe it dosen't work. I get back when i find out.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

elmisilhumano wrote:For some reason when I push the END button of manual Flip I lose the drawing I'm working on. I can get it back by several undos but just for the info Mads.

M.
Hi Mikko . I loooked at it, and I dont know how to fix it. So You should not use my Manual flip, it is not working. Sometimes the Drawing will be deleted as you mentioned.
So lets hop that at some pint flipping the out of pegs drawings will be possibble.
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

madsjuul wrote: Hi Mikko . I loooked at it, and I dont know how to fix it. So You should not use my Manual flip, it is not working. Sometimes the Drawing will be deleted as you mentioned.
So lets hop that at some pint flipping the out of pegs drawings will be possibble.
Thanks anyways for your effort Mads. And I can use it if I save before and if the drawing is deleted just couple of undos hopefully bring it back :wink: .

M.
Mikko Vormala
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

elmisilhumano wrote: Thanks anyways for your effort Mads. And I can use it if I save before and if the drawing is deleted just couple of undos hopefully bring it back :wink: .
M.
I found out. I was focusing on some complex solution, So i didnt realize it was a simple scripting mistake. I forgot to unlock layer before I pasted drawing.

Here is a new version
Attachments
MJ Out of Pegs Panel 3.tvpx
(367.5 KiB) Downloaded 240 times
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

Thanks Mads! You work like a cow! :D :D :D :D :D
Mikko Vormala
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

:D
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist

furushil

Post by furushil »

dperro wrote:Here is the video that explains why manual flipping, back and forth, is important when using "Off the Pegs" for shift and inbetweening.
Fabrice wrote:And we added the ""flip book + OOP"" shortcut since the 10.5. But ok you don't have (yet) the manual control over that specific flip option. :)
I was wondering if the option to flip manually between OOP drawings has been implemented in TVPaint 11?
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

furushil wrote:I was wondering if the option to flip manually between OOP drawings has been implemented in TVPaint 11?
yes, it has been implemented in the flip panel :)
Fabrice Debarge
furushil

Post by furushil »

I see, yes, it works perfectly, amazing, thank you :shock: :!: (I have never used the flip panel before)
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

yes, we couldn't answer to all requests in the v11, but at least this one was done ;)

One missing option though is to be able to use several colors in the image marks panel. It will be developped later.
Fabrice Debarge
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

Hey

Wanted to say thanks again for your panel that I still use really really often.

I created two modified versions that i wanted to share :

[...]_Autostart.tvpx : I modified is so it autostarts when i use a manual flip button. Usefull if you don't need to come back to specific light table value when you stop flipping, if you just always want the value that was set just before flipping.

[...]_Autostart_end.tvpx : this is another version that ends automatically when you go back to your current frame, the aftereefect is that you see your light table in this frame (so it's slower if you out of pegged large resolutions, but if you set the opacity of the light table to 0 before using it it's the same and as fast behaviour as above). But i personnally prefer to see a clean frame when flipping then go back to my light table preset so i don't use it.
Attachments
MJ_OutOfPegs_Autostart_end.tvpx
(22 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
MJ_OutOfPegs_Autostart.tvpx
(50.5 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.