UI Word Choices for "Insert Images" / "Append Images"

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
meslin

UI Word Choices for "Insert Images" / "Append Images"

Post by meslin »

In my experience, the word "insert" connotes "before the cursor" and "append" connotes "after the cursor." On many keyboards there's an "insert" key that puts characters before the cursor.

I see the rationale behind using the word "insert" because the images are indeed being inserted *into the timeline* (though after the playhead), but I think it could be made more obvious:

When I right click the timeline, and select "Insert Images", the resulting dialog box says "Append Images" at the title. Since it puts the images after, I think the right click menu should either be called "Append Images" or have both options (with corresponding functionality). I know there's some concern about the right-click timeline menu getting too large, so how this: Right click menu says "Insert/Append Images," and put a toggling radio on the resulting dialog (in addition to the counter indicating the number of frames to be inserted/appended): " (x) Insert Before | (o) Append After " thus eliminating the ambiguity of the language.

Thanks!
David
Elodie

Re: UI Word Choices for "Insert Images" / "Append Images"

Post by Elodie »

That's an interesting feedback. Thanks David !