Dust and Dirt Cleaner FX?

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
TheQuestionMark

Dust and Dirt Cleaner FX?

Post by TheQuestionMark »

I know Clip Paint Studio has Filter that can clean spots and dust call "Remove Dust". I was wondering if TVPaint can add the same thing like Clip Paint Studio has? Also it needs to clean where the area is selected when you use selection tool so it won't clean the dotted nose drawn in. Lately I've been changing alot in my drawing style and this style leaves alot of annoying dust which takes forever to clean up. Is there a way you can add the FX in?
Windows 10 64-Bit TvPaint Professional 11.5.3 (64-Bit)
Fabrice

Re: Dust and Dirt Cleaner FX?

Post by Fabrice »

I think it can be done with the (Keyer > Alpha Control) FX.
Maybe can you post an image so we can test ?
Fabrice Debarge
TheQuestionMark

Fabrice wrote:I think it can be done with the (Keyer > Alpha Control) FX.
Maybe can you post an image so we can test ?

I tried Alpha Control it seems to effect all of drawing, not the just the specs in the drawing. I don't think Alpha Control is it.

Sorry! The Image is big and I draw on 4K monitor and I really don't how to draw on 4K monitor too. The Image isn't cropped.

----

When you use Clip Paints it removes dust and retains the line in the drawing perfectly, plus it's more simpler and quick to do. Please try Clip Paint 'Remove Dust' to understand what I mean.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

TheQuestionMark wrote: Sorry! The Image is big and I draw on 4K monitor and I really don't how to draw on 4K monitor too. The Image isn't cropped.
You only need to resize your image to smaller dimensions (not 4K) before uploading to the forum page .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
TheQuestionMark

D.T. Nethery wrote:
TheQuestionMark wrote: Sorry! The Image is big and I draw on 4K monitor and I really don't how to draw on 4K monitor too. The Image isn't cropped.
You only need to resize your image to smaller dimensions (not 4K) before uploading to the forum page .
But I don't know how to resize from a 4K monitor. Too big ...too small, lines too thick? I only look at the size dimensions to tell if it's big or not and make a guess.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

TheQuestionMark wrote:
D.T. Nethery wrote:
But I don't know how to resize from a 4K monitor. Too big ...too small, lines too thick? I only look at the size dimensions to tell if it's big or not and make a guess.
Export your image(s) as PNG or JPG. In the Export Panel resize . If you already have the 4K image(s) exported , open them in Photoshop or any other image editing application and resize. Upload the smaller image to the forum .
resize 4K image to smaller size.jpg
resize 4K image to smaller size.jpg (63.79 KiB) Viewed 29446 times
-------
So , I'm taking a closer look at the image you uploaded ... I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by asking for a Dust & Dirt Cleaner FX to take out those marks ... because the image itself actually looks very clean . Am I missing something ? The little "dot" marks on the interior of the character's body and some around the edges of the character look like those are intentionally drawn marks, not dust/dirt marks from the scans. (am I wrong about that ?) The answer for eliminating those dot marks (but not eliminating the character's "dot" nose) is not something for the FX Stack to do , but the answer is to simply not draw those marks , or if you don't want them now , erase them.

If in fact those are actually dirt/dust marks from your scanner then the answer is to take better care to clean the scanner glass before you scan.
QUESTION_MARK_Dirt.png
[click the image to see larger]

Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

tvpaint doesn't really have a filter that can guess which pixels you like and which you dont.

but there is a way to quickly erase them:
circle those bits with the "Filled stroke tool", you will find it in the pull down under the top left (stroke) button of the mainpanel.
apply while holding the RMB (or pen switch) erases all pixels within the ' lasso'd ' area....... three circlings and your drawing is clean.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Peter Wassink wrote:tvpaint doesn't really have a filter that can guess which pixels you like and which you dont.

circle those bits with the "Filled stroke tool", you will find it in the pull down under the top left (stroke) button of the mainpanel.
apply while holding the RMB (or pen switch) erases all pixels within the ' lasso'd ' area....... three circlings and your drawing is clean.
Yes, Peter's suggestion to use the Filled Stroke Tool in Erase mode (holding down RMB or pen switch to put it in Erase mode .... or switch the mode in the Tool panel) works quickly and efficiently for erasing multiple areas where you have unwanted marks.

This is the result you wanted , right ? --
Filled Stroke Tool_Erase_Mode.jpg
[click image to see it larger]

-------

EDIT: Out of curiosity , I downloaded and tried out the demo of Clip Studio Paint to try the Remove Dust filter. I see what you mean , now. It does work remarkably well . I have no idea how . (not being a programmer) Maybe the TVPaint programmers could come up with something similar ... that could be useful .

TheQuestionMark

Peter Wassink wrote:tvpaint doesn't really have a filter that can guess which pixels you like and which you dont.

But this is just a simple drawing. If I were to do a more complicated drawing the dust and dirt goes everywhere. It also gets really hard if several if not alot of dust gets near the line too. If I were to draw say a folded skirt you can't use the fill tool.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I really wonder how one ends up with speckles of that size in the artwork. Any dust filter needs to discriminate between lines (wanted) and dust (not wanted), usually by erasing anything smaller than the line width. Speckles which are of the same size as the lines can't be erased automatically.

That said, I can imagine coding something like the opposite of the gap recognition in the fill tool: search for pixels completely surrounded by nothing, measure X and Y, if it's roughly the same AND under a certain threshold, erase.

(Igor Kovalyov and Priit Pärn would never use this.)
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
TheQuestionMark

slowtiger wrote:I really wonder how one ends up with speckles of that size in the artwork. Any dust filter needs to discriminate between lines (wanted) and dust (not wanted), usually by erasing anything smaller than the line width. Speckles which are of the same size as the lines can't be erased automatically.

That said, I can imagine coding something like the opposite of the gap recognition in the fill tool: search for pixels completely surrounded by nothing, measure X and Y, if it's roughly the same AND under a certain threshold, erase.

I think when I was 1080p/720p Monitor I hardly get any dust. But now when I jump to a 4K Monitor the dust are appearing like zitz! I think the dust would get worst if I were to get a Cintiq Pro 16, 16-inch that has 4K resolution.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

TheQuestionMark wrote:
slowtiger wrote:I really wonder how one ends up with speckles of that size in the artwork. Any dust filter needs to discriminate between lines (wanted) and dust (not wanted), usually by erasing anything smaller than the line width. Speckles which are of the same size as the lines can't be erased automatically.

I think when I was 1080p/720p Monitor I hardly get any dust. But now when I jump to a 4K Monitor the dust are appearing like zitz! I think the dust would get worst if I were to get a Cintiq Pro 16, 16-inch that has 4K resolution.
I'm confused ... if you're drawing on a computer monitor that means you're using a digital tablet (Wacom or otherwise) , right ? So how does one get "dust" from a digital drawing ?

TheQuestionMark

D.T. Nethery wrote:
TheQuestionMark wrote:

I'm confused ... if you're drawing on a computer monitor that means you're using a digital tablet (Wacom or otherwise) , right ? So how does one get "dust" from a digital drawing ?
I think by drawing a big resolution? I think I only use the word 'dust' because Clip Paint Studio have the 'Remove Dust' filter for it. I'm also draw while streaming so I have to have on 4K, if I were to draw on a smaller resolution TVPaint becomes to clutter with tools and overlay, also viewers can't see the image, the stream drawing quality drops due zooming above 100% , and I can barely draw in as well due there still no TVPaint dual monitor support when streaming. I think 'Dust and Dirt' Cleaner FX is must if you got 4K monitor even going to higher resolution such as 8K. Also I'm also trying to draw a fixed sized line, line width closer to anime style, maybe like "God Eater" or something close to this image https://yande.re/post/show/376232" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Full Screen of it)?. The line seems really looks really thin on a 4K monitor. I honestly don't know how to approach on 4K when drawing and I'm super confuse on it, whether it's going for print, upload as image to pixiv, or doing animation in 4K. I want a line-width style that approach of all three, print, upload to pixiv, and also animation in 4K, also the two anime style that I like talked 'God Eater' and 'Hibike! Euphonium'. I think you really need the 'Dust' Cleaner FX when approaching 4K and it's a must with those tiny 4K Resolution Cintiqs. Right now I think there's no guide on how to do 4K, so I'm really lost on how to approach it.
Last edited by TheQuestionMark on 08 Dec 2016, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

But again, if you are drawing digitally with a Wacom tablet (or any digitizing tablet) there is no "dust" or dirt , no marks on the image that you don't intentionally draw. The image you posted earlier showed a character with many little "dot" marks on it in the interior of the character (and some around the edges) , but to me those marks look like they had to have been intentionally drawn , so those are not the type of artifacts that typically come from scanning. I'm currently working on a project animated at 4K resolution and there is no dust or dirt on the drawings . The only marks on the drawings are those that are drawn by the animator or clean-up artist. So I don't really understand what you're talking about . Forgive me if I'm missing something about what you're saying, but in my experience there is not (and can not possibly be) be any dust or dirt artifacts on a digital drawing that are not made by the hand of the artist. If you look at the examples in the Clip Paint Studio user guide of images that have dust specks on them, those are SCANNED drawings .

TheQuestionMark

D.T. Nethery wrote:But again, if you are drawing digitally with a Wacom tablet (or any digitizing tablet) there is no "dust" or dirt , no marks on the image that you don't intentionally draw. The image you posted earlier showed a character with many little "dot" marks on it in the interior of the character (and some around the edges) , but to me those marks look like they had to have been intentionally drawn , so those are not the type of artifacts that typically come from scanning. I'm currently working on a project animated at 4K resolution and there is no dust or dirt on the drawings . The only marks on the drawings are those that are drawn by the animator or clean-up artist. So I don't really understand what you're talking about . Forgive me if I'm missing something about what you're saying, but in my experience there is not (and can not possibly be) be any dust or dirt artifacts on a digital drawing that are not made by the hand of the artist. If you look at the examples in the Clip Paint Studio user guide of images that have dust specks on them, those are SCANNED drawings .
How thick is your lines on your project if you're allow to say? For me the thicker the line the less it happens but the thinner the more it appears. Really are you using the 13 inch 4K resolution Cintiqs? A couple of dots weren't intentional and I'm really embarrassed and shy to draw more and also don't have time to hope for more accidents to happen. I thought I can also emulate a fews dots to how Alpha Control works and to see if it's the same as 'Dust Remover', but the dots are very similar if they were accidental especially if the drawings really complicated like drawing like a Euphonium. I also draw the other dots, as to expect and encounter those dots if I were to draw other stuff at very a fast pace. I always try to draw the fast as I can.

Scanned Drawings? Too me it looks digital 'dust' if you look at this link. http://www.clip-studio.com/site/gd_en/c ... e_gomi.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . I need to clean 'digital dust'. "Digital Dust Cleaner" FX?