Keyboard shortcuts - assigning request

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Peter Wassink

Keyboard shortcuts - assigning request

Post by Peter Wassink »

i would like to have the option to add a toggle command when assigning keyboard shortcuts
this would dramaticly increase the options in configuring the keyboard

now you can add multiple functions under one key by holding CTRL.

then you can get something like this: 'key' - Layer: Exposure: Go to Next Instance + Shape: Apply
this executes two functions with one press

i'd love if for instance, holding ALT while assigning would add the function as a toggle
so it would look like this: 'key' - Shape: Stroke /toggle/ Shape: Filled Stroke
this would result in turning the key into a toggle that toggles between stroke and filled stroke
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
NathanOtano

Re: Keyboard shortcuts - assigning request

Post by NathanOtano »

I agree. I do that a lot by scripting with george and it's really handy
Only problem is that your shortcut have to "know" what tool you're using so it can toggle the other one. Not sur it's easy to think like that with shortcuts
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

but surely it should be possible to store the status information on the current tool somewhere, so that it can be accessed for this purpose ?

the alternative would be to add toggle combinations in the right colomn in the keyboard shortcut panel (of all the tvpaint functions)
then you'd have to anticipate what combinations users would want, it would either bloat the list with never used combinations or people would keep coming up with requests like i do now
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

You can store your toggle but for exemple if you stored "rectangle fill" and you'll toggle "circle fill" but somehow you're already on circle fill because you changed it by hand, first time you click on your shortcut you'll get circle fill and you use if again for rectangle fill.

Anyway, just in case, if you need some tool switchs I made some here : http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9927
It's something easy to script for your purpose.

Your second suggestion seems a better alternative to me, it's kind of like current toggle shortcuts.
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.