support for Surface Dial

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Scott Roberts

support for Surface Dial

Post by Scott Roberts »

Hello,

I've recently got TVPaint to work extremely well on a Surface Pro 3, and I'm planning to get the new Surface Pro 5 next month. Are there any plans to add input from the Surface Dial, beyond the default zoom functions? It would be phenomenal to be able to roll back and forth through frames.

Thanks,
Scott
Fabrice

Re: support for Surface Dial

Post by Fabrice »

if you can assign a keyboard key to the Surface Dial movement, then TVPaint should work with it (same logic as Wacom side buttons)
Fabrice Debarge
chapman

Re: support for Surface Dial

Post by chapman »

Hello-

I am an animator for Disney, and also have the new Surface Pro. The dial would be exciting if you added support for it. Because it can rotate, I can imagine that there would be more use for it than assigning button function, such as:

-scrubbing through our layers when there are onion skins (without having to bring up the layer stack, which takes up screen time and keystrokes)...
-undo function
-selecting brush type
-moving up and down in our layer stack
-selecting
-Cycling through Custom animbrushes or stamps.
-Rotating custom stamps.

It is a very natural extra interface that sits to the side of the workflow...

I do very much hope you look into it, it is MUCH more than just an assignable button device, and it could make TVPaint stand apart from other programs. I have been trying for YEARS to get our development department to use TVPaint for storyboards, and proper support for the dial could actually make the argument.

Oh well, hope you look into it more than just the cursory response "if you can assign a keyboard key to the Surface Dial movement, then TVPaint should work with it (same logic as Wacom side buttons)"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... teractions

Best,
Chapman
Video Director -Animation Enthusiast

Amsterdam, NL