Save Config

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
NathanOtano

Save Config

Post by NathanOtano »

Hey
I need a script command/an option in a menu to save my config. When tvp crashes I can lose my new keyboard shortcuts/panels, because it happens often I'm used to relaunch tvpaint after a change to save everything. But if it was possible to do this without relauching tvpaint and my projects it could be nice

Nathan
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
Peter Wassink

Re: Save Config

Post by Peter Wassink »

yes some more user control over the config would be welcome.
for instance a way to make sharing configs easier.

like at school, it would be nice if students could bring their own config to the machines at school, (they are always reset to default...)
and easily activate it,
it is now already possible to do so offcourse but you need to dig rather deep in the folder tree and thats not for everybody...
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

When tvp crashes I can lose my new keyboard shortcuts/panels, because it happens often I'm used to relaunch tvpaint after a change to save everything.
help us to find out what makes TVPaint crashing.
(they are always reset to default...)
Change the preferences (startup tab).
It was a request from many teachers on network licenses since students made too much messy interfaces after several days of use.
Fabrice Debarge
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Fabrice wrote: 23 Oct 2017, 21:50 It was a request from many teachers on network licenses since students made too much messy interfaces after several days of use.
yes! it does tend to get messy fast, and that is precisely another good reason to make it easier to bring your own config :D
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Peter Wassink wrote: 23 Oct 2017, 19:56 like at school, it would be nice if students could bring their own config to the machines at school, (they are always reset to default...)
and easily activate it, it is now already possible to do so of course , but you need to dig rather deep in the folder tree and that's not for everybody...
Peter Wassink wrote: 28 Oct 2017, 18:07
Fabrice wrote: 23 Oct 2017, 21:50 It was a request from many teachers on network licenses since students made too much messy interfaces after several days of use.
yes! it does tend to get messy fast, and that is precisely another good reason to make it easier to bring your own config :D
For networked license at a school it makes sense that the start-up is always in default mode , so one student can't mess up the interface for everyone else , BUT what is the best way for an individual student to save and load their own configuration ?

The reason I ask is because I get questions about this from on-campus students at the university I work for ... I teach online classes , so my online students all have their own license of TVPaint , but on-campus the students use the networked version of TVPaint on the school's computers ... sometimes I will do a Skype session with on-campus students to teach them about using TVPaint and one of the questions I always get is: "how can SAVE my custom settings , so when I come back to work on my animation next time , TVPaint will be the same configuration as last time I had my work open in TVPaint ?" I tell them to ask the lab technicians at the school , because I don't know exactly how the networked license works. However, because I keep getting this question frequently from onsite students, I assume the lab techs don't know (or are not explaining it clearly) , so they can't tell the students how to save and load their own config. (?) .

My understanding is that the best way would be for the student to make a New Configuration and then save their New Configuration on their own flash drive or external hard drive , then each time when they start up TVPaint on the school's computer to do their work , they can load their own custom config from the start-up panel. Fabrice, is that what you meant when you wrote:
"Change the preferences (startup tab)."
I think maybe the issue is that the networked version on the school's computers must be set to Start Up > Open Start Up Panel , not to Keep Always the Same Configuration or Remember Last Used Configuration , is that correct ? In that way the user gets a choice when TVPaint opens with the Start Up panel, to use the Default configuration OR to change the folder to load their own configuration (from their flash drive ) .

Would it be possible to add a video tutorial to show saving config to a flash drive or external hard drive , then how to load the config in the Start Up Panel , so students who are working with a networked version at a school can understand how to do this?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Your config can be easily saved and imported thanks to this feature :

The house icon allows you to save your config as an .ini file and it keeps panels and shortcuts (but not custom panels)

https://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index ... troduction
Would it be possible to add a video tutorial to show saving config to a flash drive or external hard drive , then how to load the config in the Start Up Panel , so students who are working with a networked version at a school can understand how to do this?
Good idea !
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Elodie wrote: 30 Oct 2017, 07:12 Your config can be easily saved and imported thanks to this feature :

The house icon allows you to save your config as an .ini file and it keeps panels and shortcuts (but not custom panels)
hey cool!!!
is this feature also available in TVPaint standard? (since that doesn't have rooms)
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I don't think so, for the reasons you gave. I'll check at the office as soon as I arrive.