Change on dongle replacement without notice?

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
stopyelling

Change on dongle replacement without notice?

Post by stopyelling »

I attend Concordia University and recently asked about 20 students who own their own private copy of TVP for years about this change in policy about dongles.
I've lost my dongle, what can I do ?

You'd better look a lot harder or pay for a new TVPaint Animation license...
It seems pretty brutal, but you must understand that your dongle is your license. Sending another dongle means sending a new free license. We have no way of differentiating unlucky people from dishonest ones.

That said, never lose your dongle !"

https://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/arti ... ategory=30
None of them knew about it and were all pretty confused as to why they didn't get a notification about such a significant change.

I want to know if they were correct in their assessment of not getting notified or not.

Thank you
Cardin

Re: Change on dongle replacement without notice?

Post by Cardin »

This is a standard policy for software protection dongles is it not? When did TVPaint have otherwise?

Even before purchasing the software in 2015, I knew that the policy quoted above was in place. It would defeat the purpose of the dongle, and put TVP at great risk of piracy, if they distributed them out to any owner who claimed to have lost it or reported it stolen. TVPaint's policy does also state that a broken/non-functioning dongle will be replaced for a nominal fee. Could those students have perhaps been thinking of this and thought it applied to lost or stolen dongles?

At any rate, it has already been stated that they are working on eliminating the dongle. Hopefully, this news will set the minds of you and your peers at ease :D
http://tvpaint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11105
TVPaint 11 Pro(11.7.2-64bits) Dec 5, 2023 Release
System: i9-13900K, 128GB RAM, Intel Arc A770(16GB), Win 11 (Ver. 10.0.22621 Build 22621)
Wacom Cintiq 4K (Driver 6.4.5-5 Jan 25, 2024)
stopyelling

Post by stopyelling »

It is. I think the issue was that a couple of my friends replaced their dongle for a reduced rate (around 80$) in the past so I assumed TVPaint had changed their policy. But from what I understand this has always been their policy and the reduced cost replacement was an exception? In any case- several of the TVP owners Ive spoken to today were not aware of the policy which I am now learning is their fault for not doing more research.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

stopyelling wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 18:35 I attend Concordia University and recently asked about 20 students who own their own private copy of TVP for years about this change in policy about dongles.
I've lost my dongle, what can I do ?

You'd better look a lot harder or pay for a new TVPaint Animation license...
It seems pretty brutal, but you must understand that your dongle is your license. Sending another dongle means sending a new free license. We have no way of differentiating unlucky people from dishonest ones.

That said, never lose your dongle !"

https://www.tvpaint.com/v2/content/arti ... ategory=30
None of them knew about it and were all pretty confused as to why they didn't get a notification about such a significant change.

I want to know if they were correct in their assessment of not getting notified or not.

Thank you
As I understand it , that has always been the policy , it has not changed. It's the same with all other software companies that sell software with a dongle. If you lose the dongle you must purchase a new license because the software company has no way to know if a user is honest or dishonest, so a dishonest person could claim : "I lost my dongle, please help me , send me a new one." , but in fact they did not really lose it , so providing a new dongle is giving away the software for free , and then that person will have two licenses for the price of one. ( If a dongle is defective or is damaged it can be exchanged for a new dongle)

I think what could be done is to include a printed notice on a slip of paper that is inside the install DVD packaging , which has the same text as the FAQ , emphasizing "Don't lose the dongle or you will have to pay for a new license" . Also , maybe put the same notification on the invoice. Because not everyone will bother to come to the TVPaint.com website to read the FAQs .

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I think what could be done is to include a printed notice on a slip of paper that is inside the install DVD packaging , which has the same text as the FAQ , emphasizing "Don't lose the dongle or you will have to pay for a new license" . Also , maybe put the same notification on the invoice. Because not everyone will bother to come to the TVPaint.com website to read the FAQs .

It is the case. There is a sticker written in French, English and Japanese that says "don't lose the dongle".
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Elodie wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 16:47

It is the case. There is a sticker written in French, English and Japanese that says "don't lose the dongle".
That's good to have that confirmed. I expected that was the case . :D

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1