Improve animation workflow speed for large images

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
NathanOtano

Improve animation workflow speed for large images

Post by NathanOtano »

Hey :)

I know it's a difficult thing to ask, cause every soft has it's limits regarding performances (so I'm talking about some solutions but please forgive me if i'm completely wrong about it haha). But since i'm on a production with a lot of camera movements, I often animate on shots with lots of pixels (even with a 1080p camera the canvas can often be more than 3 times this size). And when I do so, TVPaint handles perfectly when i'm drawing but not when i'm working on the movement :
- Flipping beetween images is not really smooth (even just going from one instance to another, being too slow on flipping you can't ready "see" your animation move to adjust it). It's problematic cause I'm not flipping anymore, i'm kind of animating pose to pose with my lighttable guessing what it will become while rendering. Could be nice to have some memory dump on a small amount of instances around the one you're working on to be able to flip more easily. Sometimes I animate on the spot with a moving background, makes a smaller canvas, but you can't do this with every shot.
- It can become even slower when using lighttable and out of peg (and flipping out of peg is even slower, with OOP scripts and even more with the flip panel). So I can't really feel the movement on my animation here neither. Because of this I can really feel i'm much slower while animating (I think it takes me 1.5x the time it would take if I had a smooth experience cause i'm waiting at each flip, and the result could be better because of the fast visualisation)
- Even when calculating the shot befor playback, TVPaint is unable to read all the images. I need to export the shot on my computer in order to read it (on this one I think that a hard render on the software can be managable right?)

As I said I understand that it can't be solved easily but for me it's a huge drawback right now. And having this solved could also be a huge improvement for storyboarding in tvpaint, being able to work with more margins could be great. Idea : Maybe some evolutive margins, with the canvas resized each time you stroke ou a camera comes out of the actual canvas? Would save us the difficult part of resizing the canvas and having to save the new project created.

Am I the only one bothered by this or is there other animators that feel the same? Maybe there is some alternative workflows to avoid this?
Nathan :mrgreen:
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
schwarzgrau

Re: Improve animation workflow speed for large images

Post by schwarzgrau »

Du you suggest something like HALF, THIRD, QUARTER etc. resolution for preview purposes, like After Effects can do it?
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

That's not really what I suggested but it could be a nice add (but you can compress more or less your preview right? So why not have a smaller preview yes). Sometimes I try to work in half or more resolution until i'm at the cleanup step to avoid lagging.
Could be nice to have an option to "work" in smaller resolutions but I don't think that TVPaint can do that cause there is no references, drawing in a lower resolution seems weird as an automated process to go back to a full resolution (seems magical haha). But compressing instances and layers we're not drawing on as a full time process could be great maybe?
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

For After Effects HALF RESOLUTION preview it only calculates only every second pixel (or third, fourth etc. depending on what you choose). This makes it a lot faster, but only something which works for preview purposes. Especially in TVPaint this could be problematic to work with, cause if you switch to FULL TVPaint wouldn't know how to fill the missing pixels. But this could maybe useful for playback and stuff like this.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

I agree :)
Working on Windows 10
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

I'll add : same lag problem for high res images with transformation tools/selections, moving and applying can be really slow
Working on Windows 10