Resetting tvp interface

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
kariP

Resetting tvp interface

Post by kariP »

When learning a new software, I always want to have the option to reset the interface to default.

At the moment, in tvpaint, it’s relatively difficult to get back to the beginning. It requires to access the startup tab, create a new configuration, and start from there. Also, this new default doesn’t stay as default, it becomes a new blank configuration that will eventually save all the changes inside it. So, when in need to get back to default, this needs to be done again. It’s a bit of a boggle.

I come from a standpoint of teaching, I’d like the students to have a possibility to reset TVpaint with a click and shutdown.

For instance, in the preferences > startup tab > startup configuration could include one more option : default interface (or reset TVpaint)

Then, upon shutdown, tvpaint would start with default interface, and the preferences > startup tab > startup configuration would hop back to “remember last used configuration” to prevent accidental resets.

(I was thinking all kind of different solutions, but this one sounds the easiest)
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 15.26.47.png
Does that idea make sense?
Windows 10 (64 bit), 8gb ram, intel i5 10400f. TVpaint 11.7
melanie

Re: Resetting tvp interface

Post by melanie »

Hello KariP,

Indeed, by default, the software will start over remembering the last used configuration to avoid losing your changed settings.
If you always want to keep the default configuration everytime you use the software, start with the default configuration, and change the Startup configuration to "keep always the same configuration".
You can also create new configurations and save them in the Startup panel and be able to load different configurations in that panel.
Your choice of Startup configuration will also be saved in those saved configurations.
startPanel.PNG
Melanie • Animator
kariP

Re: Resetting tvp interface

Post by kariP »

Thanks Melanie,

Sorry, I should've told you that I know how to use the startup panel, I just seem to avoid it :) And now I want to make it easier for newcomers to reset the interface for learning purposes.

There are some things that make it a bit hard to follow what's happening in the startup panel

For example, when I float on top of the delete button, it says this:
Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 16.21.25.png
I would think that by pressing this button I can get the default settings into the configuration tab. Instead it deletes the current configuration and brings up another configuration that is available. Not the default config. (It propably brings up the default if i delete all the configs, but I don't want to delete my work-config, because there is no save-config button. I know I could use the house next to the rooms-button, but it doesn't save the custom panels..)

And "delete" doesn't even refer very well to "reset", I think.

But, these things are not big problems, just suggestions to bring more flow and make it easier for me to teach TVP!
Windows 10 (64 bit), 8gb ram, intel i5 10400f. TVpaint 11.7