Can the drawer open more quickly?

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
spyderheart

Can the drawer open more quickly?

Post by spyderheart »

The reason I don't use the auto show/hide feature of the side drawer panels is that it feels like I am waiting too long for it to pop open when I want to use it and move the cursor to the edge of the window. I usually just keep the left drawer open all the time (no auto).

Is there a setting (or can there be one :) ? ) to reduce the time delay between the cursor hitting the edge and the drawer opening?

Ideally, it would be almost immediate. Since the area that activates it is so narrow, there is little chance of accidental drawer openings (and the consequence of one is nil in any case since it would hide again just as quickly when you move the cursor away).

If anyone knows of a config file or plist edit that can be done that would do the trick too.

Thanks!
David
--------------------------------------------------------
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
Animationriver

Re: Can the drawer open more quickly?

Post by Animationriver »

spyderheart wrote: 26 Mar 2018, 14:48 The reason I don't use the auto show/hide feature of the side drawer panels is that it feels like I am waiting too long for it to pop open when I want to use it and move the cursor to the edge of the window. I usually just keep the left drawer open all the time (no auto).

Is there a setting (or can there be one :) ? ) to reduce the time delay between the cursor hitting the edge and the drawer opening?

Ideally, it would be almost immediate. Since the area that activates it is so narrow, there is little chance of accidental drawer openings (and the consequence of one is nil in any case since it would hide again just as quickly when you move the cursor away).

If anyone knows of a config file or plist edit that can be done that would do the trick too.

Thanks!
I agree with this thinking. :D
www.youtube.com/c/animationriver
MAC OS Sierra 10.12.6 64 bits , MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.5.2 64bit
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 Мb
Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD Touch - Wacom Intuos Pro 5 - driver version 6.3.37-2
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Yea, same here!
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

Your wish was anticipated...
When you swipe (up<>down) instead of hover, the dock appears instantly.

#Solved.... :wink:
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

Peter Wassink wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 21:45 Your wish was anticipated...
When you swipe (up<>down) instead of hover, the dock appears instantly.

#Solved.... :wink:
Thanks I did not know about that! Definitely an improvement if for no other reason than it feels faster.

Using a keyboard shortcut might actually be the fastest but in my case, if you look at my interface with the dock hidden:
interface1.jpg
When I use a shortcut key to show the left drawer I get*:
interface2.jpg
Which obviously defeats the purpose since my floating panels block the drawer and I can't easily access the options I've just called up

Auto-hiding (hovering or swiping at the edge to show the drawer), works the right way - when called up it displays over top of the floating panels.

In short, if showing the drawer using a hotkey behaved like showing any custom panel, where showing it causes it to display above over the other panels, I would simply use a hotkey for the drawer. Since that doesn't work with my interface setup - I'm stuck using auto-show/hide drawer - which I wish was faster, but as Peter has pointed out can be improved by wiggling the cursor up down at the edge of the window.

TVPaint team, to me it boils down to a few possible tweaks:
  • Faster display of the drawer (and timeline) when hovering using auto-show/hide
  • Showing the drawer via hotkey (instead of auto) to display over floating panels - the same way other panels behave
  • Modify the keystroke "Toggle [Left|Right] Drawer" to not change the "pinned" state of the drawer. This way If I had unpinned the drawer, and press the key, the drawer opens instantly. If my cursor is inside the drawer area quickly enough it stays open and hides again when I leave the area. If I don't hover in the area within a certain amount of time it hides again since it is unpinned. If the drawer had been pinned, the key simply toggles the drawer the way it currently does
Okay this is a lot of talk for a few miliseconds of interface improvement :P

*I'm aware I could create an action to both toggle the drawer and the floating panels but in my experience that approach quickly becomes unruly as you would need to continually maintain the list of toggled panels and only use that action to toggle any of them.
David
--------------------------------------------------------
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

spyderheart wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 15:02
Okay this is a lot of talk for a few miliseconds of interface improvement :P
in my opinion those miliseconds can make the difference between an o.k. userexperience and a great one.

precisely because of their repetitive nature, hundreds of micro annoyments will built up to frustration.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
maxrobert

Post by maxrobert »

I agree totally with a speedier drawer +1