RGB filters for light table

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
spyderheart

RGB filters for light table

Post by spyderheart »

It goes without saying that the way the bundled "Sketch Panel" tools work is brilliant.

Wouldn't it be great if the Light Table could be clever about colors in a similar way?

For example, if I'm using the Red pen to do very rough and messy under-drawing, then the Blue pen to highlight the structure with cleaner lines. When I turn on the Lighttable in Color mode, the Red is shown as strongly as the Blue and quickly clutters the overlay - making it difficult to see anything. If the Lighttable could only show me the Blue pixels of the previous and future images it would become much clearer without having to go and erase the red sketching.

There could be many ways of thinking about how to "filter" the Lighttable images in a more general sense (is it an RGB vlaue cutoff ? use tv_custommode ?...), this is just a quick example that jumps to mind.

Thanks!
David
--------------------------------------------------------
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
2dbert

Re: RGB filters for light table

Post by 2dbert »

What you can do in the meantime is set your lightbox from "color" to "image color" mode - at least you'll be able to distinct the blue from the red lines, in case you don't know that already.
I can imagine your suggestion to be useful, but I wonder if extra buttons on the light box panel won't eat up an amount of space that will be annoying whenever you don't need such feature.
Mac OSX Version 10.9 - 2GHz Intel Core 64(? I think so at least)bit - 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
Yiynova MSP19U
TvPaint Animation 11.0.6 Pro
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

2dbert wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 21:35 What you can do in the meantime is set your lightbox from "color" to "image color" mode - at least you'll be able to distinct the blue from the red lines, in case you don't know that already.
Thank you. Yes I was aware of the feature - you could also try to use "Tint" mode with strategically chosen colors. This filter idea is really the complement of the Sketch Panel paradigm - which I find to be quite a powerful and elegant way to use "Tradigital" techniques. I know it would save me a lot of time but of course everyone works differently.
I can imagine your suggestion to be useful, but I wonder if extra buttons on the light box panel won't eat up an amount of space that will be annoying whenever you don't need such feature.
I think you could say that about almost any feature - whether it is already in the software or not. It's up to the designers and developers to balance our collective needs and wants and how to make it available through the user interface.
One of my favourite aspects of TVPaint is that you can personalize your layout and panels so extensively that it begins to feel like your own app. I leave anything I don't need well out of sight. But point taken about the Lighttable; it's a big panel that many people need to keep open most of the time. If it were up to me, the suggested feature would just be another line in the pulldown options that let you choose between "image color, "color", "tint", etc. - just another line that says "filter..." or whatever it would be called.
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
System: 64GB RAM // 3 TB SSD // Core i7 8700K // NVIDIA GTX 1080// Windows 10 Home
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

I think you can also "int" the images of the lightable to resolve your problems
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.
spyderheart

Post by spyderheart »

NathanOtano wrote: 30 Jan 2019, 18:11 I think you can also "int" the images of the lightable to resolve your problems
Did you mean "Tint" or is this a feature I don't know about.
Another little hack is to use "Image Color" and then set the background to the color you don't want to see (in my case, full Red).
David
TVPaint 11.7 Standard
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

Yes tint :)
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.