Add in OLM Smoother and OLM Blur to TVPaint?

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
TheQuestionMark

Add in OLM Smoother and OLM Blur to TVPaint?

Post by TheQuestionMark »

I'm not sure how I found OLM Smoother or OLM Blur. But I heard the talk a year ago from on the thread on TVPaint. I would like to make it like Pokemon or Ms. Vampire Who Lives in My Neighborhood anime.
viewtopic.php?t=11922

Anyways can you add it to TVPaint? It's Open-Source you can use it. Couldn't you just copy the code and paste it in to TVPaint. And do a patch right away? It made me worried that nothing was done when they talked. So I put it in Feature and Improvement request. Here's the link on more information about OLM Smoother and OLM Blur.

https://olm.co.jp/rd/technology/tools/?lang=en

OLM Smoother

OLM Blur

For OLM Smoother they said it uses similar Morphological Antialiasing(MLAA). Can you add it to FX?.....I do have extra crazy idea too like use OLM Smoother as Preview in Preview Settings, but when you color/paint bucket or draw it act as Alias Lines. Is that possible to add it like preview without FX? And add OLM Smoother as Export Option such add in "Export as Preview Settings", that way I don't have to waste time re-proccessing from FX, or having to waste time double reprocessing both "FX + Exporting Video" for quality check and just to hit undo just to see, tweak, and redo it again.

I'm not sure OLM Smoother is similiar to Anti-Alias FX, because I don't use Photoshop or After Effects. Does anyone know, that they are same or different?
Windows 10 64-Bit TvPaint Professional 11.5.3 (64-Bit)
Hironori Takagi

Re: Add in OLM Smoother and OLM Blur to TVPaint?

Post by Hironori Takagi »

Below is a video that demonstrates Japanese animation anti-aliasing off coloring and After Effects anti-aliasing using TVPaint's JSON export.
(It is a video for Japanese users, so there are no English subtitles)

It is possible for TVPaint's anti-aliasing FX to be close to "OLM Smoother".
However, it requires careful handling to use.
20190619-2.png
I think that FX corresponding to OLM blur does not exist in TVPaint.
Japanese users do not strongly demand this feature. It's almost impossible to do the final composition, not through After Effects.
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
TheQuestionMark

Hironori Takagi wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 08:15 Below is a video that demonstrates Japanese animation anti-aliasing off coloring and After Effects anti-aliasing using TVPaint's JSON export.
(It is a video for Japanese users, so there are no English subtitles)

It is possible for TVPaint's anti-aliasing FX to be close to "OLM Smoother".
However, it requires careful handling to use.
20190619-2.png

I think that FX corresponding to OLM blur does not exist in TVPaint.
Japanese users do not strongly demand this feature. It's almost impossible to do the final composition, not through After Effects.

Do you use the default of 50 Horizontal/Vertical Anti-Alias and 50 Diagonal Anti-Alias or do you tweak it more? It's hard to see it on a 4K monitor the the effects of it when using Anti-Alias FX.

Hmmmm I'm thinking more what happen if you combine Anti-Alias FX with Gaussian Blur FX and save a preset? Would it look similar to OLM Smoother? Or it looks different or looks worser? I don't know which order to setup the FX. I can't use OLM Smoother, because I don't have Photoshop or After Effects so I can't see the difference.
Hironori Takagi

I think that the initial value is enough, because items other than "Edge detection accuracy" do not know the effect even if you change them.
Whenever you want to add a blur effect to your drawing, perform blur after antialiasing.
TVPaint 11.7.2(Nov 14 2023), Windows11 Pro, HP Spectre x360 Convertible 14-ea0xxx / TVPaint 11.7.1(Dec 22 2022) Mac OS 11.6, Apple MacBookPro M1 2020
TheQuestionMark

Hironori Takagi wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 10:21 I think that the initial value is enough, because items other than "Edge detection accuracy" do not know the effect even if you change them.
Whenever you want to add a blur effect to your drawing, perform blur after antialiasing.
I did it the other way. It looks slightly like Granblue Fantasy Anime when you zoom in. Is that how they did it? I wonder do they do that in Granblue Fantasy. Seems like Granblue Fantasy was trying to make it like a bit like Disney's Merlin.
Hironori Takagi

I am not involved in that anime, so I can not say the right way. Probably, place the texture in the black line area by ​​After Effects.
Hironori Takagi

Sorry, TVPaint have "Line Colorize Enhansed" FX on 11.0.6 look like "OLM blur" .
The difference with OLM blur is that instead of applying blur between the two colors, blur is applied across fill lines.
190620.png
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Does anyone know if there is an alternative plug-in or script to OLM Smoother that can accomplish the same anti-aliasing effect , but will run on current version of Adobe After Effects on MacOS? OLM Smoother only works on MacOS up to Adobe After Effects version CS6 (which is not supported and is more or less unavailable). The obvious answer for a production is to have a dedicated Windows machine that can process shots through AE with the OLM Smoother plug-in , but for the student or independent animator who only owns a single computer (Mac) the OLM Smoother plug-in is not usable (except on an older Mac running Adobe CS6).

I am actually quite happy with the results I get using TVPaint's internal Anti-Aliasing FX, however once the effect is applied it is baked-in and can not be adjusted without a complete undo and start over, so using a non-destructive/adjustable anti-aliasing effect such as OLM Smoother has obvious advantages.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Hironori Takagi

There are plug-ins that once competed with OLM Smoother.
https://wdkk.co.jp/product/sf-cell/
https://github.com/loilo-inc/smooth
Both are supported only in Japanese, assuming use in Japan, but I hope you find them useful.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Hironori Takagi wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 07:24 There are plug-ins that once competed with OLM Smoother.

https://wdkk.co.jp/product/sf-cell/
https://github.com/loilo-inc/smooth

Both are supported only in Japanese, assuming use in Japan, but I hope you find them useful.

Thank you.

The pages can be opened in Google Translate:

https://wdkk-co-jp.translate.goog/produ ... r_hl=en-US

https://github-com.translate.goog/loilo ... r_hl=en-US

I tried downloading both of these plug-ins , KW EFFECTS and SMOOTH, but when I installed them into my After Effects Plug-Ins folder and try to access them in After Effects I get an error message saying they can't be opened. Maybe not compatible with current version of After Effects ?
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 30 Jun 2023, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

There is also this plug-in -

https://www.plugineverything.com/fxaa
Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 11.34.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 11.34.53 AM.png (58.02 KiB) Viewed 6222 times

I haven't made any careful side-by-side comparison tests yet , but this FXAA plug-in for smoothing out jaggy aliased images seems to give results that are about the same as using TVPaint's internal Anti-Aliasing FX to smooth out jaggy lines. The main difference being that if you use the FXAA plug-in in AE , it's non-destructive.

Jeremy Richard

Post by Jeremy Richard »

On the same topic regarding its possible integration in Blackmagic Fusion, here is a conversation on the 'steack under water' forum.

The topic mentions a few papers on the Antialiasing technique by Intel, AMD and Nvidia

Is also mentioned the FXAA plugin for After Effects (as David pointed it out) and a plugin for Natron (free and open source 2D compositing software).