Rectangle CutBrush/Select + fixed/user specified aspect...

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
hughdrawsstanding

Rectangle CutBrush/Select + fixed/user specified aspect...

Post by hughdrawsstanding »

Hullo
Just thought i would make a suggestion, with situation.

I have imported a .jpg file with over 100 thumbnail images of 16/9 ratio.

I am using the storyboard thumbnail cutter to transfer them to a seperate project but i want to cut each one at the same aspect ratio.

I was hoping that a setting could be added to the CutBrush and selector properties to allow this.

Hugh
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

hi Electricleash.

Can you show us an exemple of what your assembled page looks like here ?

I ask that because several ways to go, and your initial page's lay-out will define
which one will suit the best ...
f.i., if your page is made of rows and columns of thumbnails juxtaposed,
I mean without inbetween-spaces, you can set a custom Grid to fit the thumbnail edges,
then, "Snap" option checked, you can use the rectangle CutBrush tool,
... and save each cut brush as new jpg file, all to the same size/ratio. :)
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

another way to do it is to import the entire .jpg file as a custombrush.
it'll be pretty big but you can use it to
stamp it down for each of the thumbnails, in a project with the right aspect and resolution.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

or to use the KeyFramer in a target project sized to the thumbnail's size.
2 keys per row should do the job (see pict.)
Attachments
Page2Thumbs.png
elmisilhumano

Post by elmisilhumano »

Or maybe it could be cool to have this setting added to the tool..

Mikko
hughdrawsstanding

Post by hughdrawsstanding »

Thanks, sorry I didn't reply earlier, I lost/forgot where the topic I posted was :oops:

I have tried the keyframer method and it works to some extent, though it is fairly slow going.
I have found an alternative method using the 'amend to layer' scanning system, my thumbs are from a notebook and change regularly, so I need to be able to scan/change/ and swap things about quickly and efficiently. the only frustration is that (using a god-awful Epson) I cant multi-scan images, having to open the acquire function after each scan.

I think the addition of an aspect ratio lock for the cut brushes would be quite useful though.

E
malcooning

Post by malcooning »

According to your description of "append to layer" scanning, you are aiming to get a 16:9 project, that each frame has a scan of a thumbnail that fills the frame according to your choice of cut.

how about:

1) using the an epson application, scan all images into one folder (if possible, name them sequentialy). I believe that Epson's propriety software does not shut after every scan, and allows you to more easily scan a batch of images. If not, and if you work regularly in this way, maybe it's a good idea to look for a batch scanning application.

2) load all images as a single timeline into a new project (it will be the size of the scans. They should all come up as a sequence.

3) create a new image layer, and make a 16:9 frame in the center of it.

4) in the scans layer go over each frame and pan/transform each image as you like to fit it into the 16:9 frame.

5) once all frames are transformed/aligned in the frame you can crop the project according to the 16:9 frame, and the new project will be the 16:9 and each frame the thumbnail that you wanted.

but in the end, I agree, to lock the rectangle ratio of the cutbrush would be a good feature to have.