TV Paint Light?

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Elodie

Re: TV Paint Light?

Post by Elodie »

They have been selling crappy softwares for years and are still in business despite a complete neglect of their customers.
:roll:
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

we have to highlight the responsiveness of the TV Paint team compared to other companies. I even remember asking for a feature during Annecy 2008 that saw the light 1 month later in TV Paint 9!!!
Farrow

What about a Pencil Test version of TVP?

Post by Farrow »

Hi guys! I am a long time lurker and first time poster. I think this is classed as a feature request so I hope this is the right spot. This is also partly a critique but I mean no ill will.

I don't actually own TVP yet but I have been using the demo for many years and enjoying it so I consider myself a TVP user. Unfortunately I feel the price is a bit prohibitive at the moment and I'm rather confused about the product line-up. Unlike Corel, Celsys, Adobe, CTP or ToonBoom there is no real 'economical' entry level edition of TVP so it makes it rather difficult to invest.

I would then love to see a TVPaint: Pencil Test Edition. It should include for starters:

- Sketch Panel
- Traditional Pencil (for Keane/Moore/Kim fans)
- Full Animation Timeline with Layers
- Sound Timeline with Lipsync Support
- Export as

For perhaps 100 - 150 EUR.

I'd be throwing my money at the monitor! A set of fundamental tools for any animator - amateur or pro. These days there is a big pressure to jump into tradigital but there is no affordable option and the open source software is severely lacking and buggy. I know of many people who edge toward vector rigging (puppets) instead because the software is cheap. I think an economical version of TVP could do wonders for the hand drawn animation industry and the TVP community.

I know CTP and others offer something similar but they don't have TVPs timeline or pencil features.

Make it so! :-)
Last edited by Farrow on 24 Mar 2014, 07:37, edited 9 times in total.
Paul Fierlinger

Re: What about a Pencil Test version of TVP?

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

+1 :D

I would think you should want at least the KeyFramer for camera moves. But limited edition could offer a limited amount of layers, say 5 or 6 as a trade in. I think the time is right for something like this to emerge -- there's been such an outcry for a beginners edition from the public for years now and the advantage could be that a newcomer would be eased into the workings of TVP -- less grumbling later. This then would amount to what CTP Crater has to offer. I could bring up a dozen names of people I know personally who would jump at something like this to get started with before they can raise enough money to grow into the next size. I see this as a way to buy TVP on installments.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

+1
I think a black-and-white version of TVP just for linetests (inluding imported images) for a really low price could be something to get people hooked up to TVP. Should be under 200 $.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

+1
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I think this might be worth pursuing , especially considering things like this :

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/tech/animati ... 97654.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(PAP re-born) .

Elodie

Post by Elodie »

I merged this topic with an old one with the same questions.
Farrow

Post by Farrow »

I already read this thread aswell as others where this topic arose (including marbles etc) before deciding to make my own and I strongly feel me, oliveuk and other users were looking for different things. It's unfortunate that did not come across that you felt you needed to merge. I was not suggesting 'TVP lite' and I think you might be undermining the suggestion and the huge task it's designed to tackle by reducing it to such, but that's your prerogative.

A lite version would be a glorified demo able enough to fully render to some capacity a colour animation like Digicel Flipbook Lite. That may perhaps be worth considering but it's certainly not what I suggested or am interested in. I think oliveuk undermined his own suggestion and frame-by-frame animation as he was only looking for something to conceptualise for his CGI work and had no intention of upgrading to the Pro Edition whereas I do.

I instead suggested a Pencil Test program (as slowtiger says, a black and white version, or perhaps with basic layer colours) designed around one focus, to produce linetests equal to any other version of TVP at a professional quality, intended for FBF animators to be taken seriously. It should not do anything else. I know many other users across a number of forums ask for a bit of everything but that is different to a Pencil Test program which is a legitimate task and is pretty much the only thing people do when they are going to spend 3 years or so practicing. It's important not to lose focus on why that is different.

Fabrice earlier in the merged thread stated, "I could be wrong, but PAP's development is currently more or less stopped ... It illustrates well what we want to avoid." PAP looks to be back. In a weird coincidence it's going to do everything I asked of a Pencil Test TVP. :-P
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Lite version, pencil test version, painting software for tablets... yes, all those ideas are dedicated to specific use and users, but they all have in common to be casual software, not professional software.

Don't forget TVPaint Développement is a small company, which grows up slowly. Currently, we have some developers to fix bugs and develop new features for 2 different Editions, on 4 different OS and their different versions (Windows Vista, 7 & 8 / Mac 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 & 10.9 / All Linux versions / Android versions...). And trust me, being able to propose the same software, whose files are compatible on any OS, is not a piece of cake.

TVPaint is almost 23 years old.
Several times, we tried to sell "lite" products for a cheap price. But selling "cheap" does not mean selling "a lot".
Theory is nice, reality is not.

How many cheap or free painting and animation software / applications can be found ? A dozen maybe ? That's already too much.
We can't propose a professional software for 50$, and developing a cheap software (lost among all other painting and animation software that exist yet) means at least 3 persons, from the development to the technical support. It's not worth it (not at TVPaint scale).

TVPaint Développement only lives with TVPaint Animation licenses sales + trainings. No banks, no stockholders, no government help, no film funds / commission...
Paying everybody + our offices + other various fees we can't avoid (electricity, gaz, water...) + the numerous trips we have to do (and not in business-class, but economy-class only) to meet people, train users or demonstrate TVPaint.

At the moment, we cannot really propose this kind of product because we have no time for this and it would be to the detriment of current Standard & Professional Edition + future features we are working on. Beta testers should know this better than other users...
Farrow wrote:Fabrice earlier in the merged thread stated, "I could be wrong, but PAP's development is currently more or less stopped ... It illustrates well what we want to avoid." :-P
I am maybe wrong, but it looks like PAP's development is not completely reborn : the developer still needs funds to maintain his project.

CTP is on the market again, but according to Digital Broadcast System (which resells also TVPaint licenses), it's not worth it as much as they hoped.
That's not what I wish to PAP (even if Niels is not very fair by telling we "stole" him the blue pencil, which exists since Mirage, so 2003...). After all, saving 2D animation is the most important :)
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

And the "notes" of Animation Paper are very TVPaint-ish, don't you think ?
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

ematecki wrote:And the "notes" of Animation Paper are very TVPaint-ish, don't you think ?
They resemble the equivalent column of a traditional X-sheet.
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

neonnoodle wrote:
ematecki wrote:And the "notes" of Animation Paper are very TVPaint-ish, don't you think ?
They resemble the equivalent column of a traditional X-sheet.
Just like the blue/red pencils...
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Neonnoodle, what Erick tries to explain is that both notes and blue pencils are something from traditional animation, so there is no really need to say " they stole something from me", as inspiration comes from the same background (= traditional animation).

That's also why I don't really like when Niels write on his website "we stole the Blue pencil". It's like telling "they have a color palette, such thieves" :|
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

He really said TVPaint stole the idea of the Blue Pencil? Blue was never a color used in digital drawing before PAP then? 8)
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX