TV Paint Light?

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
oliveuk

TV Paint Light?

Post by oliveuk »

How likely is it that a light version of TV Paint will come out very soon?

The only reason I prefer TV Paint over Pencil2d is the brushes but at the price it is going for I definitely can't justify such a purchase. I am a 3d animator and none of the company I worked for were too willing to spend so much money just to do some sketches and 3d animation planning.

I understand TV Paint caters a lot of needs but I only need a software to do rough animation and timing. I am not interested in tweaking my brushes, adding effects, colouring, stop motion, editing so a cut down version of TV Paint at a lower cost would be perfect for me.

In the past I got told that you couldn't have 2 different package (3 actually) but if one guy manages to do a free software (Pencil 2d) similar to what I am asking for I guess it can't be that complicated no?

What about TV Paint for Iphone or Windows Mobiles? Most HTC phones, at least my phone (HTC TouchHD), comes with a stylus and a resolution of 800x480. The resolution is so sharp I am assuming it would be perfect for animation or even just drawing.

Olive
Fabrice

Re: TV Paint Light?

Post by Fabrice »

There is a simple reason :
The cost required to make such new apps would be much higher than the money we could get from ...

Don't forget that new OS => more bugs, new protection management, more accounting, ... => new employees, ... => new expenses.
How to cover such expenses with softwares you will sell 50 $ or less ?

On the other side, I can't say I completely against a Light version, that would be wrong.
But I know that Light version have already put a lot of software development companies in financial danger, not only the smallest ones.
In fact, I must be sure that it will work before entering in this way.

Also, some mobile phone OS are not open. And you need to ask the permission before being able to sell your product, and even if you have it, Apple, Microsoft, etc ... will ask you some money to do so ! (it's quite the same as "big box stores") :?
Fabrice Debarge
thearts

Post by thearts »

if u are looking for another alternative u can try this ,

http://plasticanimationpaper.dk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this is another 2d traditional animation software very similar to tv paint without all the extra paint brushes.

to tvpaint ,
sorry if i'm directing him away , just trying help each other out.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

thearts wrote:if u are looking for another alternative u can try this ,

http://plasticanimationpaper.dk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this is another 2d traditional animation software very similar to tv paint without all the extra paint brushes.

to tvpaint ,
sorry if i'm directing him away , just trying help each other out.
I could be wrong, but PAP's development is currently more or less stopped ... It illustrates well what we want to avoid.
Fabrice Debarge
thearts

Post by thearts »

i'm not sure if it has been stopped or not since i just found out about it...

i checked some videos on youtube and the pencil test isn't too bad.

something i did on Pap 4 "free version"

it has a pretty good drawing brush , but it lack everything else that tvpaint has. Tvpaing have 100 times the stuff Pap4 has.

that's why i'm sticking to tvpaint.
mox

Post by mox »

Fabrice said it all, no worth the cost and it would be 'just' good for 'publicity stunt'/buzz..

Apart for doing quick rough ideas, You can't seriously draw with mobile devices, the resolutions maybe higher and higher, the screen itself is still pocket sized... but there are a couple of tools though - Pocket Artist is one of the most complete.

Moreover devices such as iPhone/iPodTouch have been developed specifically for being 100% stylus free..., you can't even use a stylus (like the one for your HTC), it doesn't work :)
Jerome Lorin
Moxica (playground)
(Win11/TVP 11.7.3-64 bits pro)
Julian wigley

Post by Julian wigley »

mox wrote:.....
Moreover devices such as iPhone/iPodTouch have been developed specifically for being 100% stylus free..., you can't even use a stylus .......
Mox:
There is a fluffy fat stylus for the Ipod touch-called a Pogo stylus. Gives the finger a rest when drawing _I use Brushes or Autosketch Mobile- both responsive with layers.
Fabrice:
There are some elegant "Lite" drawing and painting software out there.Even some for animation. All great stuff for us Lilliputians.

All the best,
Julian
ten_zero

Post by ten_zero »

Last year my country's anime createtion soft cut the price.
Price for everyone, but convenience is complex for professional, Vocational school student and university student.
It doesn't take under Highschool students,Comic Market writers and amateur Animation creators.
Now I'm saving money for buy TVP, but sometimes think ... "If it is more reasonable price, so I may crick the button soon".

However, if pricing of TVPaint today became same price of Photoshop Elements 8, I do not think that it becomes good marketing.
Because I assume it. "for Professional" software is not necessarily "simply, powerfil software from child to amateur customers" software.

I want you to develop the property that is now more than putting an extra cost.

TVPaint Developpement team can do it, I think.
〝稽古とは 一より習ひ 十を知り 十よりかへる もとのその一〟 利休
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

However, if pricing of TVPaint today became same price of Photoshop Elements 8, I do not think that it becomes good marketing.
ok, but TVPaint is more or less a mix between photoshop, painter, flash, premiere, after-effect ...
Once you have TVPaint, you don't need all those software anymore, so you save a lot of money :wink:

I like your picture :lol:
Fabrice Debarge
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Fabrice wrote:
ok, but TVPaint is more or less a mix between photoshop, painter, flash, premiere, after-effect ...
Once you have TVPaint, you don't need all those software anymore, so you save a lot of money :wink:

I like your picture :lol:
I agree and can confirm... I don't have any of those other applications (never ever did) so I might not know what I might be missing, but I've made a lot of films since TVP was called Aura 1.0, all of which were for money. Besides, TVP 9 Pro has reached such a high degree of sophistication by now that I think it is a little insulting to say that it hasn't reached the level of Photoshop, considering that there is no other software specializing in hand painted paperless animation. TVP covers a very elite niche market and Photoshop serves the masses. Fine wine will always be more expensive than beer.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

Julian wigley wrote:
mox wrote:.....
Moreover devices such as iPhone/iPodTouch have been developed specifically for being 100% stylus free..., you can't even use a stylus .......
Mox:
There is a fluffy fat stylus for the Ipod touch-called a Pogo stylus. Gives the finger a rest when drawing _I use Brushes or Autosketch Mobile- both responsive with layers.
Fabrice:
There are some elegant "Lite" drawing and painting software out there.Even some for animation. All great stuff for us Lilliputians.
I use a stylus for drawing on my iPhone, works quite well. Granted, you don't get pressure sensitivity but it's quite useful. Here's a little pic I did today with "Brushes":

There's a nifty little app called "Animation Creator" which is a cel animation creator. It can't export yet, but it supports two layers, does onion skinning and supports freehand drawing, lines, circles, squares, etc. Not a bad little app for trying out ideas when you are away from your TV Paint!
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
Julian wigley

Post by Julian wigley »

TVPaint:
Stuff the fine wine-a 'lite' version may broaden your user base. But then...what do I know.
All the best.
Jules
mox

Post by mox »

Yes, there are stylus' for iPhone/iPodTouch but I was writing about the (thin) ones provided with HTC devices (and similar smartphones).
It maybe works for drawing rough sketches and/or pixelling but I'm still thinking it's more a gizmo (when commuting) than anything else :)
Jerome Lorin
Moxica (playground)
(Win11/TVP 11.7.3-64 bits pro)
oliveuk

Post by oliveuk »

I am currently doing 3 hours of commuting a day and being able to animate on my phone while commuting would be a life saviour more than a "gizmo". At the moment the only thing I can do is draw thumbnails on my sketchbooks but I would really really love to test those thumbnails on a pencil shooter software. Remember that not everybody has the same needs Mox ;-)

Regarding TV Paint replacing After effect, Premiere, photoshop etc.... well one of the IT guys from the company I work for told me they get the full Adobe package license for £100 (130 euros) so that s not much of problem for big companies but adding a full version of TV Paint to that would triple the cost per workstation hence my request for a light version of TV Paint similar to PAP in functionalities but with TV Paint amazing timeline and brush engine.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

oliveuk wrote:one of the IT guys from the company I work for told me they get the full Adobe package license for £100 (130 euros)
Woaw, they've got an impressive discount price... If I go on Adobe's website, I don't see any Creative suite family under 892£ (I only talk about "full prices", not the upgrade prices). I think your company wasn't really honest with you. :mrgreen:
The most complete suite is about 3000~3500 €.