assigning key to all rooms

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Mads Juul

assigning key to all rooms

Post by Mads Juul »

I'm Playing around with a workflow where I use different rooms to different functions
1: Storyboard
2: Layout/Background
3: Animation
4: Coloring

And I'm moving my shortcuts around A lot because I'm Trying things out.
But then I', Missing a button in the configure Keyboard shortcuts. Where i "Assign To All Rooms"
besides Assign And unassign
. for instance Ijust whanted to move my Pick color shortcut which I whan't to be the same in all rooms Ad i have to do it 4 times.
And if i have moved it in one room and then whant to use it in a room where I don't use it that often then I have forgotten that it is not assigned in that room.
It's actualy interesting shortcut you don't use that often should be the same in all rooms ...

-mads
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
malcooning

Re: assigning key to all rooms

Post by malcooning »

good idea.
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

Solutions so far
There is 4 rooms button at the bottom right corner of TVPaint. If you are in room 1 and hold down"shift-ctrl-alt" when clicking another room. All the settings including the keyboard shortcuts will be copied to the other room.
Else you can save and load from the "Configure Keyboard Shortcuts"
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
marcelo.perin

Post by marcelo.perin »

Thank you!
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
TVPaint Pro 10.0.14 64
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Thanks Mads! This is one of the reasons that prevented me from using the different rooms more regularly.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

madsjuul wrote: But then I', Missing a button in the configure Keyboard shortcuts. Where i "Assign To All Rooms"
Oh, I didn't know that he hotkeys could be different from a room to another one :mrgreen:
meslin

Post by meslin »

I'm encountering this issue regularly with almost all new users of TVPaint who attempt to use rooms.
The functionality is useful and I can see why the rooms have the keystrokes set independently. I like this.
But the UI does not make it clear that this is the case: when you assign shortcuts, you're assigning them only in the active room.
The best "two birds" solution, as far as I can see, is to add a dropdown labeled: "Apply to Room" with default value: "Current (Room #)" where # is the active room number. The only other option in the dropdown would be "All."
Someone might request the ability to add shortcuts to room 2 and 3 only while you're in room 1, but I think this is perhaps too fussy. The dropdown would accomplish the significant function of clarifying the fact that shortcuts are applied to the active room (bird #1), while also allowing for an all-room option (bird#2). If you want to change it two rooms only, you'll now know to go to the room before applying. The unassignment of the shortcut would also follow the rule of the dropdown.
Anything more elaborate would probably warrant a set of checkboxes, so either more UI space in the Configure Keyboard Shortcuts panel, or a dedicated options panel--both of which seem excessive...

While I'm talking about the Configure Keyboard Shortcuts window, why doesn't the Flips panel's "Shortcut" button bring you to the appropriate flip in the right column of the Configure Keyboard Shortcuts panel? I'm guessing there's a technical barrier there.

Thanks for reading the ramblings!
David
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

I like your suggestion david

i had previously suggested this solution for the preferences:
rooms.png
rooms.png (15.29 KiB) Viewed 19000 times
a similar solution could maybe be thought off for the keyboard shortcuts?
maybe something like tabs over the left column of the Keyboard shortcut panel
where the tabs would be [All] [room1][room2][room3][room4]
depending on the choice of tab(s) shortcuts are assigned only to the selected tab(s)
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM