Layer Select Area

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Sewie

Layer Select Area

Post by Sewie »

Dear TVPaint friends,

Selecting a layer with an mouse/pen-click only works when you click on the grey bar in the layer; number 1 on the image below. It's a relatively small area and I often miss it when I'm in the flow. It's not possible to select a layer by clicking on the area where the thumbnails often are; number 2 on the image below. I find that strange because it's the larger area and thus easier to hit when working.

I wonder why it's not possible to select the layer by clicking on the entire layer area; 1+2 on the image below. Can TVPaint's behaviour be changed to do this?

If so; that's my feature request.

Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
malcooning

Re: Layer Select Area

Post by malcooning »

But clicking+dragging the layer area is used for shifting the layer along the timeline.
How will you move the layer otherwise?

Personally I find the grey area under the layer wide enough for selection.
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Why couldn't you click to select and click-drag to move the layer area? I don't see how one excludes the other...
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

+1
I agree, it should be as easy as possible to select something.

In addition, I could imagine a (switchable) function which automatically opens a layer when it was collapsed during selection.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

well, actually we can have Layer1 selected (I mean the current one), and LMB-click & drag Layer2 to offset it on the timeline,
and keep Layer1 its "current" state, something I guess some of us would want to keep,
if you want a larger area, click on the layer's head (when visible in the timeline panel),
otherwise, I think a double-click on the (thumbnails) strip could be a solution to select it (+ making it the current one).
my 2 cents. :)
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

slowtiger wrote:...
In addition, I could imagine a (switchable) function which automatically opens a layer when it was collapsed during selection.
Perhaps a single click opens and selects a collapsed layer?
ZigOtto wrote:...
if you want a larger area, click on the layer's head (when visible in the timeline panel),...
Yes, but then, when working quickly, you'll risk clicking either: 1-the collapse layer widget, 2-lock layer button, 3-the lightbox button, 4-the opacity slider, 5-the color pulldown menu. (And all the while you have all this unused screen space inside the layer body.) I have tried working like this and it's very annoying. Remember I'm talking about workflow-wise. If you are working quickly in the creative flow of things. When working under deadlines this often happens and it's very annoying to have to keep going back to reset buttons or settings you may have hit accidentally.
ZigOtto wrote:...otherwise, I think a double-click on the (thumbnails) strip could be a solution to select it (+ making it the current one).
my 2 cents. :)
I would prefer as few actions a possible. When working, my full attention should be with drawing and animating. It should be as easy and quickly as possible to apply thing in the timeline so I can stay in the creative-flow. Working the timeline should be as easy and intuitive as possible. Almost like an afterthought, I believe.
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Sewie wrote:
ZigOtto wrote:...otherwise, I think a double-click on the (thumbnails) strip could be a solution to select it (+ making it the current one).
I would prefer as few actions a possible. When working, my full attention should be with drawing and animating. It should be as easy and quickly as possible to apply thing in the timeline so I can stay in the creative-flow. Working the timeline should be as easy and intuitive as possible. Almost like an afterthought, I believe.
so, another suggestion :
- a single LMB-click into the strip to select a layer,
- Shift+LMB-click&Drag to move any layer forward/backward along the timeline.
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

I like that!
:)
Kwadrope

Post by Kwadrope »

I would even go further then that
several programs also use shift to insert drop for example ,ctrl+drop to copy and none to just replace
this is very intuitive ,I find.

make every frame selectable so you can drag and drop em where you want (whether with ctrl or not)
now all feels so rigid. its rare that you need to drag a whole timeline. Most of the time is spent on timing and working IN the timeline or a part of it. So it's seems more logical that dragging/dropping /selecting should be easier while a whole timeline is just a matter of "select all" while hovering above the right timeline/layer,for example. As long as functionality that we now have (dragging right box to time, merge layers,split layers...) stays as it is I see no reason why tvpaint wouldn't be able to be more flexible.

there are several solutions
edit mode/press control+drag/a third drag box that moves selection...

Selection itself is then on the items/exposures with sift for an area and ctrl for several in between.
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

I'd like to kick this issue up again because it's doing my head in.
Last edited by Sewie on 25 Jul 2013, 17:12, edited 1 time in total.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

So, how would you proceed to push your layers in the timeline ?
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

What's most important to me, for the sake of easy selection, is that TVP reacts to a click (LMB or Wacom pen click) in area's 1 and 2 and selects the layer.
Right now it only reacts in area 1 for selection.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

+1! I agree.

Also, when clicking on a thumbnail in f.e. frame 9. I'd like to go to frame 9.

In the current behaviour it doesn't do anything at all, because it assumes you're gonna drag the entire layer around, which is a much rarer thing to do than going to a frame to draw.

Clicking on the thumbnail of a drawing to edit it makes the most sense.

About how will we drag layers around, I think adding <shift> and drag would be a good solution.

If frame selection/layer dragging is getting attention, please don't move the timeline-cursor around when selecting or dragging.
  • Club Baboo
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.2
  • macOS Ventura 13.4.1 & Windows 10
  • Cintiq 27QHD
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Bumping this request up again because it's a real issue when working on small screens.
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

+1. There no one click function one the zone so it could be usefull (if it's not deselecting layer when you click and drag and not just click).

Also why don't you select your layers one the left area?

+1 for Lucas reflexions too, clicking on the layer instances and going to the frame clicked would be a great add (and it's complementary with just selecting the layer without moving in the timeline in the other area).
Maybe selection and drag-clicking for selection will be more intuitive in the instance area, and moving all the instances can be under the instances. Or maybe yes with shift drag so we can win some space in the layer area.
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.