Automated inbetweening

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
sykosan

Re: Automated inbetweening

Post by sykosan »

Last edited by sykosan on 16 Jan 2013, 20:32, edited 2 times in total.
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Is there a way to see the steps of the project, I mean : at least the drawings / colors / shadows used before interpolation ?

I mean : did you draw the lines, the colors using the paint bucket ? Then the shadows with a mask ? Then finally apply the inbetweening process with a single button ?
Or was the process calculating all colors and shadows + missing frames by interpolation ?

Without more informations, it's not easy to have an exact idea.
Fabrice Debarge
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

sykosan wrote:Yes I used the technique on some professional work.
Most recent job is this music video, although there is also some After Effects’ puppet tool animations in there:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrLKi7-06ic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Other stuff :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRTQy9nqvec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxk8vCnJfgk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But your videos are still very short. Even the video clip about Jesus' birth contains many re-used scenes. :|

I mean, at the moment, it gives me the feeling that it's so complicate and "time-eater" to use your technique that you cannot produce longer project.
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

Unfortunately I can’t show you more because that remains confidential
Sorry, I don't believe you. All possible solutions in the field have been described openly and in detail, there's a bunch of videos online which show the different approaches in a way that the principles are explained clearly. As long as you don't act up to those standards, I don't believe in the originality of your idea (and will, eventually, call "bullshit").
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
sykosan

Post by sykosan »

Last edited by sykosan on 16 Jan 2013, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
ematecki
Site Admin

Post by ematecki »

If it doesn't need much user interaction, it shouldn't be too hard to implement it as a plugin for TVPaint...
Quicktime is DEAD. Get over it and move on !
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

ematecki wrote:If it doesn't need much user interaction, it shouldn't be too hard to implement it as a plugin for TVPaint...
That's good, but If it doesn't need much human interaction it is worthless as art.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
idragosani

Post by idragosani »

To be honest, the examples still look very computer-generated and I see no difference from the kind of animation produced by Flash, ToonBoom or Anime Studio.
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
TVP Pro 10 : Intel i7 2600 3.4 GHz : 8GB RAM : Ubuntu Studio 14.04 : Cintiq 21UX
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

ematecki wrote:If it doesn't need much user interaction, it shouldn't be too hard to implement it as a plugin for TVPaint...
Sykosan, depending upon the price and features, I'd be willing to pay for your system as a standalone plugin.
sykosan

Post by sykosan »

ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

let me guess ... hmm ... maybe a Z-depth deformation ..? :?:

anyway, it could be time-saving for elementary (and short) stuff,
but as soon as your source is more complex, separating and managing dozen of planes
would quickly become a nightmare I think ...

anyway, for the ones who need a perfect fluidity and stability with slow-motion animation,
it could be a good tool to have in your arsenal.
:)
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

In my experience, and from what I have observed in the samples of others, it is not a good idea to mix both mechanical fluidity and organic drawings together, with perhaps the exception of technical films, though I think it can look dilettantish even in those films.

But to be clear, I am not attempting to stand in anyone's way to see this happen (nor do I even have the power to do so). I am just expressing how unappealing I think the examples in this thread look to begin with. I also hope to see this thing implemented only after we get a way to reverse the order of frames without having the redundancy of seeing the last original frame tagged on to the end of the reversed order.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

OK, here's a way to keep your precious confidentiality while showing a bit more. I did two fast drawings and challenge you to inbetween them. Nothing fancy, just my usual style, nothing difficult for a human inbetweener.
inbetweentest1.png
inbetweentest2.png
If you can do that, I might get interested. At least you could demonstrate how you break up a drawing like this, if necessary (and I'll get an idea wether it will fit my style and workflow or not.).
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

This is getting interesting :D
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
sykosan

Post by sykosan »