Automated inbetweening

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
VGmaster9

Re: Automated inbetweening

Post by VGmaster9 »

I wish I could see what sykosan posted in this thread. I like the idea of a 2.5d look in TVPaint animations, even if it's done with third party software.
artfx

Post by artfx »

VGmaster9 wrote: 05 Mar 2017, 00:13 I wish I could see what sykosan posted in this thread. I like the idea of a 2.5d look in TVPaint animations, even if it's done with third party software.
He has a Youtube channel with tons of videos and lots of detail on all his techniques.
Terrence Walker
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacOS Monterey Version 12.6.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100
Micah Buzan

Post by Micah Buzan »

Auto inbetweening could be awesome if used in moderation. It would be nice to strike a balance of automate half of the in betweens, while drawing the other half. I'm sure if used in moderation, auto-inbetweening could speed up the workflow without leaving the animation lifeless as it often does.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Micah Buzan wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 00:52 Auto inbetweening could be awesome if used in moderation. It would be nice to strike a balance of automate half of the in betweens, while drawing the other half. I'm sure if used in moderation, auto-inbetweening could speed up the workflow without leaving the animation lifeless as it often does.
I admit I'm warming up to the idea , used "in moderation". I do think your point about "used in moderation" is very important. It would take a skilled animator to know when to use that tool and when to avoid using it. I am generally against the idea of using computer interpolated inbetween drawings , because it almost always results in animation that looks lifeless or too "morphy" , but I can envision certain situations where some very slow movement ( with very closely spaced drawings) could have some of those close inbetweens done by the computer program . Even if it saved the animator an hour of tedious work that would have been spent doing the closely spaced inbetweens, it would be worth it . Those type of drawings are some of the most boring, yet difficult, inbetweens to draw , because they have to be drawn very precisely to avoid "boiling" , but those close inbetween drawings are not especially interesting to draw because the lines are right on top of each other , with only a pencil line width difference from drawing to drawing . However, if those close drawings are slashed out quickly they will wobble and boil. So they are very tedious to do. .
close drawings interpolated by computer.jpg

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1