About the "Untitled (1)" project

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Lukas

About the "Untitled (1)" project

Post by Lukas »

When you start TVPaint, you get "Untitled (1)" project automatically.

If you then open an existing project, "Untitled (1)" will still be there in the background. Because often I'm working in a project and "Untitled (1)" is almost ALWAYS open in the background. It probably costs at least some memory, and also, when you Save you're working project and then quit TVPaint it asks what you want with "Untitled (1)".

If you then open an existing project, and you haven't done anything in "Untitled (1)" it should just close project without asking if you want to save or not, just get rid of it. :)
  • Club Baboo
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.2
  • macOS Ventura 13.4.1 & Windows 10
  • Cintiq 27QHD
Sewie

Re: About the "Untitled (1)" project

Post by Sewie »

+1
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

+1
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Hmm, it's something we already talked about in TVPaint offices. I also agree that Untitled 1 should be withdrawn from the interface when you load a project / create a new one, while Untitled 1 is empty.

But I don't remember what was the end of that discussion and if it was possible or not to do so :roll:
Joost

Post by Joost »

+10
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1
Trumpatrick

Post by Trumpatrick »

This has been mentioned on the forum before as well.
+1
BenEcosse

Post by BenEcosse »

+1
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

The nature of the Untitled(1) project is that it acts as a place holder for the user when starting TVPaint. If the user deletes Untitled(1) (automatically or manually) after loading or making a new project, then, when the user saves and/or closes the new project, another Untitled(1) project is automatically created which has the dimensions and attributes of the last closed, named project, right?

I guess the TVPaint rule is that there must be at least one open project in TVPaint at all times perhaps because all buttons, shortcut keys and program actions need a project in memory to "focus" on?

I find having the default, Untitled(1) project lurking in the background provides me with a "scratch pad" where I can save cutbrush images or frame sequences or other temporary, but ultimately disposable, stuff.

The other thing the Untitled(?) project may provide as a place holder, are dimensions and frame rate info stored by TVPaint (when quitting) for the next time TVPaint "starts up" and a new Untitled Project(1) is automatically created.

Of course all this functionality is based on choices offered the user in Preferences/startup about how TVPaint starts up and how it acts when closing or deleting projects and exiting... logic shaped by the programmers' reasoning about behavior which the user wants, needs or expects.

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Merwilla

Post by Merwilla »

+1

edit: for no untitled(1)
Last edited by Merwilla on 23 Apr 2013, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I find having the default, Untitled(1) project lurking in the background provides me with a "scratch pad" where I can save cutbrush images or frame sequences or other temporary, but ultimately disposable, stuff.
+1 :D I do this all the time too.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Svengali wrote:I find having the default, Untitled(1) project lurking in the background provides me with a "scratch pad" where I can save cutbrush images or frame sequences or other temporary, but ultimately disposable, stuff.
If you want a sketchpad, you could always just create a new project. Having a scratchpad by default (hogging memory and whatnot) isn't really desirable.
  • Club Baboo
  • TVPaint Pro 11.7.2
  • macOS Ventura 13.4.1 & Windows 10
  • Cintiq 27QHD
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I think what Svengali is saying is that there is a reason why TVP needs this placeholder at all times and putting the placeholder is just making good use of a not so desirable situation. I remember the debate on this subject from several years ago and believe that Sven is right; that what he says is how it was explained to us.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

So, we could let the option in the preference panel about how the basic project shall react when creating / opening a project ?
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Here's the problem. We each work with TVPaint according to our own requirements. Sometimes the sudden momentum to change functionality results in existing behavior being modified, summarily, without alternatives or long-range impact being thoughtfully considered. I've learned in the past that TVPaint users have to speak up quickly or things just disappear or change... and then sometimes, in retrospect, changes must be undone.

It always makes me nervous when suggestions for changing TVPaint arrive at the forum in a flurry.

Sven

It only takes one click to close the Untitled(1) project and I suspect that an empty, but available temporary project doesn't hog that much memory. I'm a little confused about the "whatnot" part.
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Joost

Post by Joost »

It only takes one click to close the Untitled(1) project and I suspect that an empty, but available temporary project doesn't hog that much memory. I'm a little confused about the "whatnot" part.
It also takes a click to create a new project.
The "untitled 1" project bother me since I start using tvpaint. Imagine a program like word/pages/open office always has an extra empty page or a program like photoshop. That would be really silly. It's a strange choice to keep an empty project next to the project you just opened.

But maybe Elodie is right: It should be an option in the preferences panel. (However, in my opinion a project without untitled 1 should be the standard setting)
Mac OS 13.4.1 , Mac Studio 2023, 32GB RAM, Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD (no touch), Wacom Driver 6.4.2-4.
TVP Pro 11.7.1