assignable brush random seed

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
malcooning

assignable brush random seed

Post by malcooning »

with the current painting engine, is it possible to add a way to control randomality (similar to the 'seed' function in AFX expressions)?
I mean, if we create an animated custombrush, we can assign randomality to the it's animation. What if we could control the the amount of this randomality and assign it to the regular attributes (speed, pressure, fad, azimuth etc.)

To illustrate further:
I would like to be able to have a setup that when I press the pen lightly I will get hardly no randomality, but when I press hard I can get full randomality.

so, if I make a brush from scanned brush dabs structured like this:
first 20 frames are small dabs, all similar size, but vary in consistency.
next 10 fames are brush dabs increasing in size.
next 20 frames are large and small dabs of different sizes and consistencies.

then, when I'd press lightly I will have the brush sampling only from the first 20 frames, but when I press hard the brush will sample from the whole animation.

I know I might have explained it in a convoluted way which might not make sense at all. But I think this could be an amazing addition to further optimize the brush engine (the purpose is to beat any other, resource hogging, brush engine out there! ;)

cheers
a
TVPaint
Site Admin

Post by TVPaint »

Interesting suggestion a., thanks for sharing it.
I think it can be implemented in some way using the new connections profiles but the relevance and furthermore the accessibility for most people of such an addition is not very obvious to me. I mean, it sounds to me like it's just making the use of the Animbrush more complex though i understand it can be really helpful in some contexts.
Anyway, it could be interesting to do some test... 8)
Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

thanks to one of those stupid spambots
my attention came to this thread.

i must say i really want to support Asaf's point
it would be very usefull to have the animation connection work in the same way as the others.

though it might sound like a subtle control refinement it opens up an even larger world of possibilities
even if it would only be used for controlling color.

color is not really a part of the custombrush control
but you can influence it using the custombrush grey tones in combination with the 'Luma stamp' setting
now if we could also have a curve editor for animation (for instance in the random setting) you would be able to have controle over the colorvariation of your brush.
this is something currently NOT possible in tvpaint but it IS possible in Photoshop do we want this shamefull situation to remain? :wink:

but maybe it would be a better idea to look at the possibilities of adding a seperate color connection.
because it would also be real powerfull to have this with all the other tools.
(a long long time ago(dec 2003) i did some suggestions into this direction, see image, nice to see we have come a long way from that by the way)

about your remark on the average user... you are probably right but i think it is important to provide users with the best tools we can so we should simply built those for them and include them with the program, like before, and i don't mind building some (as you know)
Attachments
custombrush-idea.jpg
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM