Control application of Gradient

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
D.T. Nethery

Control application of Gradient

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Something that would be useful would be to add a Control function and a Preview to the Gradient effect .

What I'm thinking of is similar to the Gradient tool in Sketchbook Pro's Flood Fill tool. In Sketchbook Pro it shows a preview of what the Gradient fill will look like and there is a sliding control bar which can be used to fine tune the direction and spread of the gradient . This tool shows a preview of exactly what the gradient will look like before you apply it -

D.T. Nethery

Re: Control application of Gradient

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Development team , is this possible , to add Preview of the Gradient (before hitting Return/Enter key to apply) and a more precise control slider to change the direction and spread of the gradient ?
Svengali

Post by Svengali »

Dave,

It's not as nice as what you want, but there's a quick and dirty way to quickly "try out" gradient fills rather than preview gradient fills:

Create a shortcut which consists of Undo:Last Action + Shape:Apply.

This way you can: select the shape or draw the shape, then stretch the line to apply the gradient, then if that's not what you want, press the shortcut to erase the fill but keep the shape you selected to be filled, then stretch a new line to apply the gradient again, repeating until you get exactly what you want.

Don't forget to select another tool to cancel the filling operation unless you want to select or draw more shapes to fill etc.

Sven
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Last edited by schwarzgrau on 03 Jul 2016, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Svengali wrote:Dave,

It's not as nice as what you want, but there's a quick and dirty way to quickly "try out" gradient fills rather than preview gradient fills:

Create a shortcut which consists of Undo:Last Action + Shape:Apply.

This way you can: select the shape or draw the shape, then stretch the line to apply the gradient, then if that's not what you want, press the shortcut to erase the fill but keep the shape you selected to be filled, then stretch a new line to apply the gradient again, repeating until you get exactly what you want.

Don't forget to select another tool to cancel the filling operation unless you want to select or draw more shapes to fill etc.

Sven
Thank you, Sven. I appreciate that tip .
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

schwarzgrau wrote: I guess you just trying to help him Svengali, but someone is asking here for something pretty usual for a drawing software and someone else tells him it's more complicated if the developers need to write it, then when he just do it over and over.
Well, I did appreciate Svengali's suggested workaround . He is one of the most helpful members on this forum.

Schwarzgrau, I think I can sense your frustration in your post (perhaps regarding other feature requests that are yet to be implemented) , but let's not attribute words to Sven that he never wrote. Nowhere in Sven's post did did he say or suggest that "it's more complicated if the developers need to write it".
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Last edited by schwarzgrau on 03 Jul 2016, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Thanks for the workaround Sven, it's welcome since only a few people knows about it.
You are very helpful as usual. :)

David's suggestion is added in our TODO list.
We are too close to a new big version to think about it, modify it and implement it correctly, but we keep track of it for the future.
Fabrice Debarge
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

D.T. Nethery wrote:Something that would be useful would be to add a Control function and a Preview to the Gradient effect .

What I'm thinking of is similar to the Gradient tool in Sketchbook Pro's Flood Fill tool. In Sketchbook Pro it shows a preview of what the Gradient fill will look like and there is a sliding control bar which can be used to fine tune the direction and spread of the gradient . This tool shows a preview of exactly what the gradient will look like before you apply it -

Fabrice wrote: David's suggestion is added in our TODO list.
We are too close to a new big version to think about it, modify it and implement it correctly, but we keep track of it for the future.
Bumping this up .

Is this still To-Do listed ? (to add something similar to the preview and adjustment of Gradient as in Sketchbook Pro )

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Oh, yes please!

It's the first time I am seeing this thread and I would greatly appreciate an upgrade of the gradients tool. Right now I am struggling an awful lot with it and it eats away at my time, which is especially frustrating when you working on tight deadlines.

About these workaround issues, it's great that alternatives are being offered but very often deadlines are so tight (within the hour for (quite complex) full color visuals) that all these workarounds become very frustrating. It helps some but it often doesn't really solve the problems we are addressing on this forum. Not complaining, just mentioning my experiences. :)
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I don't really get this. In all programs, including PS and TVP, I have to try and redo gradients all the time. It's not as if it needs hours to render.

Now, having a multi-colour-gradient with adjustable steps, that would be a completely different game.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Not possible in the current engine, but we can think about it for the next one :)