Creating a brush question

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
Svengali

Re: Creating a brush question

Post by Svengali »

Fabrice wrote:
David_Fine wrote:If I could control how it randomizes a single brush image, it would mean that I never have to make an anim brush at all, unless I wanted each and every stamp to be totally different. Controlling the anim could mean to rotate it only around one side, so 180 degrees, or 90 degrees, so that it is just turning a little, but randomly.
If I understood your request well, I think you can already :
http://www.tvpaint.com/doc/tvp11/index. ... es&lang=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
check the "Angle and Random" chapter on this webpage.
pick-one options for Angle.jpg
pick-one options for Angle.jpg (8.73 KiB) Viewed 13738 times
Maybe this is the problem/limitation?

For each parameter assigned to a custom brush you can only choose ONE MODE. I think the problem you run into when trying to create this kind of pseudo, randomly textured brush is that you need to assign ANGLE to have TWO different MODES at the same time:

1. first, you need to assign the DIRECTION MODE to the ANGLE parameter so the brush texture will always turn to follow the direction of the path that the brush is traveling.
2. But you also need to assign the RANDOM MODE to the ANGLE parameter as well because you want the texture to twist randomly to either side of the brush stroke path (limiting the range of the twisting arc is controlled by the curve in the profile editor for the ANGLE parameter.)

In the case of a randomly rotating brush texture, you can compensate somewhat for this "either/or" limitation in how parameters are assigned by:

1. using the DIRECTION MODE for the ANGLE parameter... and then
2. creating an ANIMBRUSH with a number of rotated texture steps in it AND make the ANIM setting RANDOM. I think this is what David was attempting. Perhaps his perplexity comes from the limitation that the ANGLE parameter can only have one MODE assigned to it.
TVP Pro 11.0.10-64bit Win10 - 64GB ram -2TB HHD - 256GB SSD - Wacom Cintiq 16, driver 6.3.41-1
Android Tablet: rel. 11, Samsung Galaxy Note10.1 - 32GB with microSD 32GB
Android Tablet: rel. 11.5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S7plus - 128GB with microSD 64GB
Sewie

Post by Sewie »

Svengali wrote:... I think the problem you run into when trying to create this kind of pseudo, randomly textured brush is that you need to assign ANGLE to have TWO different MODES at the same time...
The option to assign properties to two different modes would increase the overall possibilities for custombrushes exponentially. I really hoping that this can be done within the current engine.
Michael Sewnarain - Website
Windows 11/64b Pro - TVP11.7.0 & 11.7.1 - Pro/64b - Cintiq32 Pro - Intel i7-12700K - 64Gb RAM
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

I'd really like the idea of a range for certain parameters a lot. "Rotate between 0 and 45, by random/pressure/whatever".
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
neonnoodle

Post by neonnoodle »

slowtiger wrote:I'd really like the idea of a range for certain parameters a lot. "Rotate between 0 and 45, by random/pressure/whatever".
I believe some of what you are asking is possible via the profile editor -- constrain the graph to a range of points. It is not intuitive but I think it achieves the result you want.
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Yes, this is a great tip! I did not think to check the profile editor to restrict the turning radius of the brush in random. That does work, so that is great news. Still, Svengali explains it further in regard to the detail which would be good, but certainly, this addresses my specific request, so I am glad to have this pointed out. Now all that's missing is for the stepping to be controllable when you reduce the brush size. Or at least I assume that's the only thing causing the brush to change quality as it gets smaller. Hey, that must be a pretty easy fix! :D
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

As we use to say in french : I come after the battle.
But does this help ?
There is more consistensy in the line transparency whatever the pressure level is.
Dave_animbrush_test.png
Dave_animbrush_test.png (121.11 KiB) Viewed 13641 times
Attachments
David_test_animbrush.tvpp
(1.21 MiB) Downloaded 988 times
Fabrice Debarge