A public Trello board for TVP development?

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
neonnoodle

A public Trello board for TVP development?

Post by neonnoodle »

We often see the same bug report or feature request come up on this forum repeatedly, or check-ins on the status of a bug in multiple threads. This is in part because the search feature of phpBB is somewhat unreliable. Many software companies now are making public development boards to help the user community keep track of what's on the back burner, what's being worked on, and what changes have been pushed to the latest update.

One of the more popular formats for this system is Trello. (Here is Trello's own development board.)

Would TVPaint Developpement ever consider this transparent approach?
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: A public Trello board for TVP development?

Post by Thierry »

Hi,

Just to say that I'll answer you on Monday :)

//Edit : sorry, we didn't have the time to answer today, we will do it soon.
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
Thierry
Site Admin

Post by Thierry »

Hi Zoe,

Here's a late answer, but better late than never ;)

We have our own development and bug-tracking tools, and they are updated each time we get user feedback, either when visiting them (which is favoured for better to have a better comprehension), or when recieving emails, or when recieving phone calls, or via the forum, or during festivals...

As to share our todo list, it's technically possible, but not necessarily legally.
Some features are asked by studios with whom we signed NDAs and we cannot communicate on this. That's the case of the brand new Scan Cleaner Color FX http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . We could only communicate on it only when it was done, and I cannot tell you who asked us to develop it. It's the same for the Inlay Texture FX.

There is also a strategic aspect for some of our clients (mainly the ones located in the USA) : to remain at the forefront of technology without revealing their plans to other studios.

Moreover, some features requests are really complex to develop (here's one or two on this topic). In that case, even if we would share our approach, it would be much harder to follow us regarding development, concepts and priorities (that may vary depending on our income).
Let me explain : the main issue that we run into is the level of abstraction necessary to explain and make understand that or this possibility (or impossibility) in C++.
In a software, things are extremely nested together. It’s like a house or a building : while it’s easy to imagine how to extend or shrink some rooms, there are some walls that we cannot easily move without compromising the integrity of the structure. However, it’s easier to move furniture when we rearrange a new room.

That said, it is entirely appropriate that we make an extra effort to make you understand some of the ins and outs.

Right now, we are workng on several major points :
  • The functions that needs to be changed in depth in order to allow some updates (some listed on the topic mentioned earlier, but we also have some other big features in our plans)
  • Fixing TVPaint Animation 11's known bugs (hence the release of 11.0.1).
  • The possibility of TVPaint Animation telling that an update is available, and what bugs will be fixed.
  • The Android version of TVPaint Animation 11 Professional Edition.
Concerning bug fixes, we could have a topic containing a list of the things that will be adressed in the next minor update (11.0.x), or being able to access this list via the software in itself (but that would require an Internet connection).

That's all I can say :-)
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Thank you for the insight Thierry
Thierry wrote: Concerning bug fixes, we could have a topic containing a list of the things that will be adressed in the next minor update (11.0.x), or being able to access this list via the software in itself (but that would require an Internet connection).
I don't want to give a substitutional answer, cause Zoe started the thread and the question is if she is happy with this solution, but nonetheless I would like to say I like the idea.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

nb : this is linked to this feature :
The possibility of TVPaint Animation telling that an update is available, and what bugs will be fixed.
It was debated before and added in the TODO list, but couldn't be done because of the lack of time before releasing the v11.
So it's still in our plans :)
Fabrice Debarge