TVPaint 11 fixes and improvements I would like to see

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
David_Fine

TVPaint 11 fixes and improvements I would like to see

Post by David_Fine »

There are a number of small bugs which it seems to me, should be priority fixes, but they were not addressed in the first update to version 11, so I am requesting that these bugs be considered as soon as possible, but also listing some small issues which I hope might be considered too. If anyone else has issues they would like to add to this list, please do. I'm on a Mac so some of these might be Mac specific.

- Rotate bug needs fixing. When you rotate a selection, it keeps popping back, which is really annoying because I rotate a bit and then I want to rotate a bit more, but it loses the position I was just in. This is only in version 11.

- Audio bug needs fixing. This has been discussed elsewhere. There is popping and it extends and repeats. Bit of a mess and really needs to be fixed as a priority.

- Pointer keeps changing to arrow. This was happening before as well. On the Cintiq, when I am using a brush, it should be a point. Instead, it keeps changing to the arrow pointer, which is large an inaccurate. It was happening in 10.5 and it still is. Maybe this is a driver thing, but this is specific to TVPaint and does not happen in any other app on the Cintiq.

- Resize scene in any direction, like the way Photoshop does, so that I can add space just to the bottom or right side, without having to adjust the position of all my layers. Seems a very easy fix and one which would be so useful. Really, really useful.

- Warp should be selectable. Select an area and only that area warps. That would be really useful instead of having to lock those areas with multiple clicks. Otherwise, warp is a fabulous!!

- I can't put the warp button on my own panel. Why is this? Is there a way?

- I would really like a default UI option with more contrast and colour. For me, much of the 10.5 look was clearer and easier to use. I don't mind the grey tone, but all the monochrome icons and darkness is not easy to use. I have a crack which adds colour to the icons, which is great, but many do not know about this. I think you should use this fix in the default, or a default option.

- When stamping to multiple instances, don’t make that change the instances to singles. I know how to fix this, I have to use the recompute tool, but this is clumsy and unnecessary. Why does this need to happen?

- TVP does not open on my Cintiq. Every other app on my Cintiq remembers it was on the Cintiq and opens there everytime. TVPaint never remembers and opens on my main display, which requires dragging over and resizing. Not the end of the world, but a hassle no other app does.

- Pen locks up and will not draw in TVPaint. The is to use the eraser on the pen. This seems to wake the pen up. This is TVPaint specific and never happens with other apps on the Cintiq.

- It would be great if the default start frame could be set at 1 instead of 0.

Hope these might be considered. Thanks.
Last edited by David_Fine on 16 Jul 2015, 22:28, edited 1 time in total.
David Fine
iMac late 2014 3.5 GHz, 32GB RAM
Snowden Fine Animation Inc.
Vancouver, Canada
Thierry
Site Admin

Re: TVPaint 11 fixes and improvements I would like to see

Post by Thierry »

*Topic moved in Feature & Improvement requests forum...*
Si votre question a trouvé réponse, marquez votre sujet comme Résolu.
If your question has been answered, mark your topic as Solved.
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Good idea to move it there. Thank you.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
Mads Juul

Post by Mads Juul »

David_Fine wrote: - It would be great if the default start frame could be set at 1 instead of 0.
startframe.PNG
startframe.PNG (12.65 KiB) Viewed 29923 times
is this it ? or?
Mads Juul
Storyboard Artist
blog: http://mjstoryboard.blogspot.dk/
Mail: mjstoryboard@gmail .com

Windows 10, 64 bit i7-4790 CPU 4.00 Hz,32 GB RAM, With TVP Animation 11 Pro (11.0.2-64bits)
2 Monitors 1920X1080 pixels + 1 Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Or change it in your startup panel's configuration settings to make it more permanent?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
2dbert

Post by 2dbert »

I believe David has new users in mind when he suggests start frame 1 to be the default setting.
Mac OSX Version 10.9 - 2GHz Intel Core 64(? I think so at least)bit - 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3 - Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
Yiynova MSP19U
TvPaint Animation 11.0.6 Pro
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

oh, right, considering the title of the thread and its placement. I agree with this suggestion because it's an issue that comes up all the time and since it is natural for animators to start counting their drawings from one, why have the default set to zero, which is apparently the more suitable way for programmers to count.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
slowtiger

Post by slowtiger »

- Resize scene in any direction, like the way Photoshop does, so that I can add space just to the bottom or right side, without having to adjust the position of all my layers. Seems a very easy fix and one which would be so useful. Really, really useful.
This already works with the Crop tool.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

2dbert wrote:I believe David has new users in mind when he suggests start frame 1 to be the default setting.
+1 that the default setting should be start frame 1 . Too confusing to have to explain this over and over to new users (students) . I think for most people doing animation the logical start frame is always going to be FRAME 1. (for video editors needing timecode to start on "Frame 0" , let them make the change. )

As it is now, I find that TVPaint 11 will remember the start frame setting if you change it to Start Frame 1 , BUT only for projects that are saved with Start Frame 1 ... if you open a project from another user that had been created with Start Frame set to 0 , then it will have the start frame as 0 and you must manually change it to Start Frame 1 .
Last edited by D.T. Nethery on 17 Jul 2015, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

David_Fine wrote:
- Audio bug needs fixing. This has been discussed elsewhere. There is popping and it extends and repeats. Bit of a mess and really needs to be fixed as a priority.
+1 on prioritizing the clicking/popping issue . This actually makes files with sound unusable for export to .AVI or .MOV to send to a client , without taking the extra steps of importing all the images from TVPaint to a different app and bringing in the soundtrack to sync the images and sound again . In the meantime , animating and playing back scenes with the "clicking" is very irritating.

If I recall correctly , the last time this was addressed Fabrice said it was an issue with the FFMpeg code used by TVPaint and dependent on getting more info about the FFMpeg code from FFMpeg developers . Hopefully there will be a fix SOON !

I looked it up ... Fabrice said: "ok, it's an FFmpeg rounding bug, so it won't occur in the 32 bit version of TVPaint."

So the workaround for now is to use 32bit version of TVPaint 11.

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
furushil

Post by furushil »

D.T. Nethery wrote:This actually makes files with sound unusable for export to .AVI or .MOV to send to a client , without taking the extra steps of importing all the images from TVPaint to a different app and bringing in the soundtrack to sync the images and sound again .
I would like to share my method of how to get rid of the clicking sounds. It always works in my case and maybe it will help you. But I must say that this issue is the No.1 irritating thing in TVPaint for me right now and I hope it will be fixed soon.

1. I always use wav files (I don't know if this is important)
2. click on "reload all sound tracks" 3 or 4 times in the sound master panel
3. if the 2. point doesn't work, quit and restart TVPaint
4. after the restart again click 3 or 4 times on "reload all sound tacks"

The clicks should disappear now.

After the restart I actually click on "reload all sound tacks" a lot of times and watch the sound (graph) every time I click. The distinct vertical "click" lines that you can see in the graph should disappear after several "reload all sound tacks" clicks. Sometimes one is enough.
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Ah, thank you Slowtiger. For some reason I didn't even realize the crop tool did that. So simple. Excellent.

For the start frame, I realise the solution is to create a blank template which has the start frame at 1. When you open that template it is starting at 1. Simple. There it is. I thought it needed to be a pref setting.
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

David_Fine wrote: - Warp should be selectable. Select an area and only that area warps. That would be really useful instead of having to lock those areas with multiple clicks. Otherwise, warp is a fabulous!!
+1 that's really annoying, especially if you try to warp something on every frame
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

Just downloaded 11.0.2. From my list of things, I see one of them has been addressed. Everything else is still on the wish list.

- Rotate bug needs fixing. When you rotate a selection, it keeps popping back, which is really annoying because I rotate a bit and then I want to rotate a bit more, but it loses the position I was just in. This is only in version 11. HURRAY! This has been fixed.[/b] :D

- Pointer keeps changing to arrow. This was happening before as well. On the Cintiq, when I am using a brush, it should be a point. Instead, it keeps changing to the arrow pointer, which is large an inaccurate. It was happening in 10.5 and it still is. Maybe this is a driver thing, but this is specific to TVPaint and does not happen in any other app on the Cintiq.

- Resize scene in any direction, like the way Photoshop does, so that I can add space just to the bottom or right side, without having to adjust the position of all my layers. Seems a very easy fix and one which would be so useful. Really, really useful. I now realize this can be achieved simply with the crop tool, which I completely overlooked. Hurray![/b] :D

- Warp should be selectable. Select an area and only that area warps. That would be really useful instead of having to lock those areas with multiple clicks. Otherwise, warp is a fabulous!!

- I can't put the warp button on my own panel. Why is this? Is there a way? I believe this has been amended so you can now. Hurray! :D

- I would really like a default UI option with more contrast and colour. For me, much of the 10.5 look was clearer and easier to use. I don't mind the grey tone, but all the monochrome icons and darkness is not easy to use. I have a crack which adds colour to the icons, which is great, but many do not know about this. I think you should use this fix in the default, or a default option.

- When stamping to multiple instances, don’t make that change the instances to singles. I know how to fix this, I have to use the recompute tool, but this is clumsy and unnecessary. Why does this need to happen?

- TVP does not open on my Cintiq. Every other app on my Cintiq remembers it was on the Cintiq and opens there everytime. TVPaint never remembers and opens on my main display, which requires dragging over and resizing. Not the end of the world, but a hassle no other app does.

- Pen locks up and will not draw in TVPaint. The is to use the eraser on the pen. This seems to wake the pen up. This is TVPaint specific and never happens with other apps on the Cintiq.

- It would be great if the default start frame could be set at 1 instead of 0. Thanks to previous reply, I can see that this can be set in a template, which is great, so this is done! :D

So still a number of what I consider fairly urgent fixes on my list. Any thoughts on if any these can be addressed any time soon?
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada
David_Fine

Post by David_Fine »

So now the Recent Items list is cluttered with the entire path. Why? It's not an improvement and very few other applications do this, so why is this considered necessary. I don't need to find out where my files are, I just need to open them. Can this be turned off somehow?
David Fine
Vancouver, Canada