last used tool setting

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
oellen

last used tool setting

Post by oellen »

I wish TVP would leave my tools set on how I last used them and not default back to their original setting every time I change to another tool. For instance on sketch panel, if I'm using the blue pen on the "color" mode, then go to erase something with the eraser and come back to the blue pen, the pen has defaulted back to the "behind" mode and I have to change it back to "color." I wish the tools would just stay the way I left them until I wanted to change them.
MacPro Late 2013 64bit, OS 11.2.3
Cintiq 27 QHD
TVP 11.5.1
furushil

Re: last used tool setting

Post by furushil »

All you have to do is to make a new button with the blue pen set to "color".
Many users -including me- need those buttons with original settings, I think.

You can also assign all the different drawing modes to keyboard shortcuts.
I am also switching constantly between "color" and "erase" with F2 and F4 but the blue pen should jump back to "behind" because that way you can easily erase the blue under the black.

Of course you can change all that, as I said. Just make a new custom panel and create your own tools.
MAC OS 12.6.2 - TVpaint 11.7.1 PRO 64bit, Wacom Intuos Pro
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Is anyone using the key command Tools: Swap Stylus Tips?
I too switch between draw and erase almost as often as I inhale and exhale and for that reason have created my pen and eraser as custom buttons just the way furushil describes. But also I can switch between these two buttons using my pen's bottom rocker switch and a dedicated key stroke with the Swap Stylus Tips assigned to it. I have my bottom rocker switch set to "Erase" in Wacom's software because for me this works as a toggle switch. I know this doesn't work for everybody and it is important in TVP's Preferences to have the Tablet window set to Ink (Wacom's expression, actually) instead of Wintab. I do not work on a tablet but a PC, yet this is essential if I want to make my Erase switch to work.

Every once in a while ( even several times a day) TVP will loose the eraser or pen capacity in my nib (the rocker switch's ability to toggle will stop working, in other words) and I have long ago stopped fretting over this and just tap my pen on one of my custom buttons to reset the nib's toggling functionality. It becomes as normal a gesture as sticking a pencil into an electric sharpener every so often used to be; I don't give it a second thought because it is the nature of the beast.

In addition I have made several custom buttons for drawing and erasing alike because at times I have a need to switch between thin and medium pen thickness and the same between eraser sizes.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
oellen

Post by oellen »

I know I can make custom panels, but I'd prefer things to just stay the way I last used them. If TVP was set up that way, then nobody would have to bother with custom panels which in my newbie opinion are a little tricky to set up. You could still have "behind" and I could still have "color" and no custom panel would have to be made. Also with a custom panel, you are then stuck with the tool always defaulting to whatever you set on the custom panel. Then you end up with a whole slew of panels all over the place and no where to draw!
Cintiq 27 QHD
TVP 11.5.1
Paul Fierlinger

Have you tried the Swap tool shortcut? This will do precisely what you want. But as a precaution it serves my purpose to have custom presets anyway. To economize on space, I line up my drawing and erasure tools all around the parameter of my project panel. But I suggest you forget all that stuff for the moment and just try the swap tool shortcut. Then come back to us.
Paul
oellen

Post by oellen »

Hmmmm, I tried to assign a shortcut to Tool: swap stylus tips. However, the "assign" and "unassign" buttons are greyed out so I can't make a shortcut. For that matter, all the choices under "tools" have the assign button greyed out. Thoughts?
Cintiq 27 QHD
TVP 11.5.1
Paul Fierlinger

After you locate the Swap command on the right yo have to click on the key of your choice on the left, at which point everything will come to life.
Paul
oellen

Post by oellen »

Ok. Thanks for the tip.This allowed me to assign a shortcut key, but it didn't really do what I wanted it to do. I decided to just go ahead and make a sketch panel that I like and go that route. Thanks for the help. And I'd still love to see see future releases just stay put on the last tool settings.
Cintiq 27 QHD
TVP 11.5.1