link more than one feature to the brushsettings

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
hilere

link more than one feature to the brushsettings

Post by hilere »

to create more realistic brushes it would be nice to be able to link i.e. size to both pressure and altitude.
This is the way a real pencil behaves. When you draw more with the point the size gets smaller than when you draw with the side. But then when you put more pressure on the point it increases size.

Therefore it would be a plus if it would be possible to link more than one feature to the brushsettings. Don't know if this is even feasible...

It would open up a whole new range of possibilities in creating brushes
neonnoodle

Re: link more than one feature to the brushsettings

Post by neonnoodle »

You can already do this to your heart's content. Each brush parameter is independent. You can have pressure/azimuth ("tilt")/speed etc. affect multiple parameters at once. I have many custom brushes for pencils that do just what you are looking for. :D
hilere

Post by hilere »

neonnoodle wrote:You can already do this to your heart's content. Each brush parameter is independent. You can have pressure/azimuth ("tilt")/speed etc. affect multiple parameters at once. I have many custom brushes for pencils that do just what you are looking for. :D
Is this something from a later version then? I'm on 9.5. where this is not possible (unless I'm missing something). Guess I need to upgrade...
meslin

Post by meslin »

Neonnoodle, I believe the request was to have size be influenced by pressure and altitude, rather than have two brush parameters each be affected by the same stylus variable.
I have found that you can simulate this type of thing by making an animated brush (of perhaps 10-100 frames, depending on the necessary resolution and CPU power available) with the keyframer, where the brush dab transitions from smallest to largest size, and then having pressure change the "Anim" value of the animated brush. Then the size can be controlled by altitude. There'd be trial-and-error adjustment, of course, but the main idea of putting brush variance into an animated brush can definitely get you further toward complex influences on the brush character.
hilere

Post by hilere »

Yes Meslin, you are right. I just realised myself too that neonnoodle misunderstood the request.

Your proposition is definitely one to look into and I'm sure I'll get results out of it. When I have the time I will do some tests on it and I'll post the result here as soon as I find something pleasing.

But it stays a workaround that works only for the brush I proposed in my example. This was only an example. The request goes wider than only the parameters/variables I used in my example. So let me rephrase my request using the right terminology :

I believe it will be an enrichment in the custom brush feature if multiple variables might influence the brush parameters.
And I want to add to that (thank you Meslin because your proposition brought me to this one) : It would be nice too to have a profile editor linked to the anim parameter.
hilere

Post by hilere »

As promised here a brush that behaves (as much as possible) like a real pencil. I will post it too on the contents sharing section.
Attachments
HilerePencil.tvpx
(130 KiB) Downloaded 1050 times
meslin

Post by meslin »

Wow, you did it! Very subtle pencil. I'll use it in Alpha Diff mode, since I like a slower buildup. Thanks!
Color vs Alpha Diff (Drawing Modes) - note that the Alpha Diff mode makes for lower contrast cross-hatching.
Color vs Alpha Diff (Drawing Modes) - note that the Alpha Diff mode makes for lower contrast cross-hatching.
Pencil in Color vs Alpha Diff Drawing Modes.png (92.63 KiB) Viewed 19006 times