Resize/Zoom size of images seen on Multiplane Camera STAGE

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
D.T. Nethery

Resize/Zoom size of images seen on Multiplane Camera STAGE

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I am requesting an improvement in the Multiplane Camera Stage interface to make it possible to resize (zoom) the images seen in the Perspective View and Camera View of the Stage .

The problem is if a Multiplane Camera project size is very large it is impossible to view the outside edges of all the Planes and the Camera position in the Perspective view (and Camera view) on the Stage.

The screenshots below show the problem .

1.) Here is a smallish project size (dimensions are only 640 x 512) which shows all the planes and camera position in the Perspective and Camera views of the STAGE -

(this is project from Contents & Examples folder called FX_Multiplan_Camera_TrackIn.tvpp )

2.) But now see what happens using a much larger project (Angkor.tvpp in the Contents & Examples folder) . This project is 10000 x 2000 and it is not possible to view the full extent all of the planes in the Perspective and Camera view windows of the Multiplane STAGE -

There needs to be some way to zoom-out/resize the size of the planes in the Stage > Perspective view window (and same for Camera view window)

3.) The only way to (sort of) do this now is to Modify the project so it is much smaller. In this case I downscaled the project from 10000 x 2000 to 3600 x 720, which almost makes it possible to see all of the edges of the Planes and the camera position , but this defeats the purpose of working at a higher than usual resolution size to be able to zoom in and through the planes if necessary. (the higher resolution being necessary to retain image sharpness when zooming in though the planes) -

So the request is to be able to zoom/resize the planes as viewed within the four windows of the Multiplane Stage , OR perhaps to be able to minimize/hide three of the windows and have one of the desired windows (for example, the Perspective View window , but it could be any of them) be given all the available space on the Multiplane Stage , so that very large multiplane projects can be viewed with all edges of planes visible and the camera position visible , to make it easier to work with. I hope this makes sense. I don't know if this is even possible ,but it never hurts to ask, right ?

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
Elodie

Re: Resize/Zoom size of images seen on Multiplane Camera STA

Post by Elodie »

100% agree !
D.T. Nethery

Re: Resize/Zoom size of images seen on Multiplane Camera STAGE

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Bump.

Revisiting this request to ask if something like this is possible with the current engine , or is this something for future development in the next engine ?

The request is for an improvement in the Multiplane Camera Stage interface to make it possible to resize (zoom) the images seen in the Perspective View and Camera View of the Stage , so the full image can be seen. (see original post above for examples)

The problem is if a Multiplane Camera project size is very large it is impossible to view the outside edges of all the Planes and the Camera position in the Perspective view (and Camera view) on the Stage. I would like to be able to zoom/resize the planes as viewed within the four windows of the Multiplane Stage , OR perhaps to be able to hide three of the windows and have one of the windows (for example, the Perspective View window , but it could be any of them) be given all the available space on the Multiplane Stage , so that very large multiplane projects can be viewed with all edges of planes visible and the camera position visible , to make it easier to work with.

Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Aaaah, my dear David, if we could tell you what we know... :roll:

As usual : wait (a lot) and see !
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

That response gives me hope . Thanks !

(the reason I bumped this up , was I just had the same question come up from a colleague I'm tutoring and I replied: "I asked about it , but I don't know if it's possible to do that in the current version . I'm going to ask again." )

Animationriver

Post by Animationriver »

You two angels! :D
You are beautiful! :D
Your dream is just great!
My dream is very similar to yours. :roll:
Convenience of the interface as in 3d programs)))) :idea:
Yes, sure. We are waiting! ))) And we pray for a new solution! :shock:
www.youtube.com/c/animationriver
MAC OS Sierra 10.12.6 64 bits , MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Memory , TVPaint PRO 11.5.2 64bit
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 Мb
Wacom Cintiq 27 QHD Touch - Wacom Intuos Pro 5 - driver version 6.3.37-2
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Over a year later I am bumping up this request again. Is there any possibility this could be implemented soon ?
(My first request was in 2015 , so it's been 4 years ... second time was in January 2018.

The request is for an improvement in the Multiplane Camera Stage interface to make it possible to resize (zoom) the images seen in the Perspective View and Camera View of the Stage .

The problem is if a Multiplane Camera project size is very large it is impossible to view the outside edges of all the Planes and the Camera position in the Perspective view and Camera View on the Stage,(which makes the Stage view unusable). I was reminded of this today , trying to show someone how to use the Multiplane Camera tool ... their project is 5000 x 2813 pixels ... they can't use the Mutliplane stage ... and their question: "Why can't it be resized to view the whole project in the Stage?" is a legitimate question.

See my first post above for screen shots and details: viewtopic.php?t=9555#p88332

Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

While we wait i think its probably a good idea to invest in learning to do this in conjunction with other software.
Apart from the issues mentioned in this thread, like the displays and resolution issues, another problem lies with controlling the camera.
My experience with the multiplane is that except for the most simple sideways pan, the camera is very hard to control.

I know aftereffects is an option for which there already is a good export plugin.
Another software i am thinking off trying for this purpose myself is the opensource 3D software Blender.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

Yes, AfterEffects is a good option . Just ignore the camera in TVPaint , take everything over to AE for camera moves.

Or as Markus does , use Moho. (I have tried Moho for doing camera moves on animation originated in TVPaint and imported to Moho ... it works splendidly) ..

I'm also looking at OpenToonz again. The basic camera tool in OpenToonz is easy and intuitive to use , but I have never tried a Multiplane camera move with it.
For a while I had stopped trying to use OpenToonz , because the Mac OS version of OpenToonz was very unstable for me , random crashes occurring too often, but the latest version I downloaded about a month ago is stable.

Blender just makes me want to cry every time I have tried to use it , but maybe I should look again ...

The point remains , this request is from 2015 and again in 2018 , and if TVPaint will have a function called Multiplane Camera , it could use some significant improvement (in several ways, but not the least of which would be the ability to zoom out to view the entire scene in the perspective view on the Stage.) If someone from TVPaint could respond to simply say:
"Yes, this request is still on our To-Do list and we are working on it" ... or "No, this will never happen , it is what it is, deal with it." that would be nice.

Peter Wassink

Post by Peter Wassink »

D.T. Nethery wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 12:54

Blender just makes me want to cry every time I have tried to use it , but maybe I should look again ...
haha...
yes! i agree its like a jungle of buttons and panels... and i also find it highly daunting, but the power of what it can do does attract me.
Peter Wassink - 2D animator
• PC: Win11/64 Pro - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core - 64Gb RAM
• laptop: Win10/64 Pro - i7-4600@2.1 GHz - 16Gb RAM
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

For anyone interested in creating multiplane camera shots with their layers imported from TVPaint into After Effects, here is a very easy to use script for After Effects,
called "Multiplane for After Effects" --

https://pixelbump.com/2016/11/01/free-s ... r-effects/

Watch the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ql4uftlSMI

(this video presumes you are already familiar with the basic procedure for how to set keyframes for camera movements in AE , see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pX-GQjP4hA and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgMHWFolli8 )

D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

I think Apple's Motion software is another option for multiplane , not too expensive ($50.00 U.S.D.)
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/motion/id434290957?mt=12

This shot was animated and colored in TVPaint , Backgrounds in Photoshop , composited with camera move in Motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YoTqT8wMEI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO64Mx1iXGE

schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

Thank you for this David!
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
NathanOtano

Post by NathanOtano »

Awesome tools thanks!
Working on Windows 10
Creator of Disnosc, providing storyboard, animation and design for 2D realistic pictural animation: https://www.disnosc.fr/ - nathanotano@disnosc.fr
Highly interested in animation workflows, I'm open to scripting new TVP functions for individuals and studios.