New fractal brush engine

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
cheetomation

New fractal brush engine

Post by cheetomation »

TVP needs a newly designed fractal based paint engine ala Corel painter or MetaCreations painter 4, 5, 6...

Oils, Pastels, multiple fiber brushes (Not just animbrush simulation.)
Take tvp to the next level!

Impossible??

:shock: :o
TVPaint
Site Admin

Post by TVPaint »

Nothing is impossible of course ! we just can't say when :oops:
malcooning

Re: New fractal brush engine

Post by malcooning »

cheetomation wrote: Take tvp to the next level!
I wouldn't call it next level exactly. The genius behind tvp's brush engine is that
1. you can build your own brushes completely from scratch (which can contribute fantastically to experimental work).
2. You can grab/capture brushes in a simple, intuitive way.
3. It's much faster than painter's engine. Try working in higher resolutions and you'll see what I mean. If a brush, like painter's watercolour system, has to make calculations as it draws, you're looking at a slow brush.
3. Although Painter is being hailed a lot for it's brushes, it still has a compromised quality - compare painter's oil brushes to Ambient Design's Artrage oil brushes, quality and speed alike.

I agree that there's room for for improvement in Tvp, but looking at painter for examples would be looking backwards.
cheetomation

Post by cheetomation »

Not at all!

I completely disagree.
Looking to painter as brush examples would be a HUGE step foward!

I understand that with the animbrush one can create almost any brush effect using a series of bitmaps, but this is unrelated to true multiple bristle paintbrush emulation. Even to paint with particles, as in Project Dogwaffle, (Pd Pro) would be a huge advancement.

The way that tvpaint puts down pixels, (aside from the recent subpixel addition) has not changed since Aura. The brush engine needs a serious overhaul, keeping the animbrush feature of course.

TVP has lacked any new types of true brushes for so long, -this engine needs to be written!

The other thing that would be revolutionary, is vector spline painting, with bitmap on top. That is to say, the vector data that you paint, creates bitmap strokes. (Similar to Synfig Studio)

The other thing is a true implementation of flash's timeline, and symbols / movieclips with independent timelines. Sort of a "super animbrush".

Ideas to make TVP the best software ever..
djm99001

I second these ideas

Post by djm99001 »

These are all tremendous ideas!!!
I agree with the sentiment that TVP doesn't mix colors like Painter, ArtRage, etc. I wish ArtRage and TVP could combine forces.