Pixel interpolation when shrinking size

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
TheQuestionMark

Pixel interpolation when shrinking size

Post by TheQuestionMark »

Ever since the talk on "http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php? ... per#p85557". I tried to keep the image as sharp? and accurate as possible. I notice when I tried to set the magnification on the Navigator it rounds only to 67% and not 66.67%. Can there be a quick fix to it?

Also I still have question on Export. When you check the Pixel Apect Ratio. Does export the way it is as you quality draw? What happen if you uncheck it? I'm confuse.

I remember the talk on thread of the first paragraph that quality of the when drawing is worse. But export as finalize would be better.

But I've been using a brush and seems the drawing unexported version one is way way way better. How do retain the 'drawing unexported' version and save it as .png, .jpg, or .webp. I really don't like how the finalize export is. It's just way too soft and the overall impact of the image is greatly weaken. PNG at 0 Compression doesn't seem to work either. JPEG 100% doesn't seem to work. Is there option you can for export to check as option 'retain unexported verison(I'm not sure what the word is)' please please please.
Windows 10 64-Bit TvPaint Professional 11.5.3 (64-Bit)
Elodie

Re: An UnRounded 66.67% Navigator Panel

Post by Elodie »

TheQuestionMark, you are confusing many things... Let me explain :

• Zoom ratio : the value in % you enter at the bottom-right corner is the zoom ratio. It allows you to display your image bigger or tinier than it really is in term of pixels. The only accurate view is 100%. As Slowtiger explained in the other topic, any other value (whatever if it's 75% or 66,67%) will NOT give an accurate view. The preview is calculated in the best way possible, but it will never ever be accurate. This rule goes for TVPaint, Photoshop, Windows Viewer, Mac Preview, Gimp, etc... The fact you are zooming at 66.67% or 67% does not really change. If it's not 100%, a calculation will be always necessary.

• Pixel aspect ratio : when you create a project, you can define whether pixels will be squares (=1) or rectangles (Pal = 1,067 / NTSC = 0,9 / etc...). Changing the aspect ratio should be done only if you know what you are doing (which is obviously not your case - with all due respects). In your case, I strongly advise to keep a pixel aspect ratio = 1 and never change it. Checking (or not) the option in the export panel will never affect your export.

• Exports formats : formats like PNG, JPG, TIFF, TGA etc... are generated differently, following compression, quality, colours, etc...
For example, PNG is a lossless quality file : it means it will always keep the purest quality possible. The compression value is the calculation necessary to render an image : 0 = quick export but big files / 10 = slow export but light files. Only rendering time and files' size are affected by the compression, the quality is not. PNG is actually the best format to display images on computers, but it sucks if you print it.
Another example with JPEG. Quality 1 = quick render, poor quality, poor colours, light files. / Quality 100 = slower render, good quality, good colours, heavier files. But anyway, JPEG remains a compressed file format : it will never be as pure as PNG.

But whatever, don't forget the 1st rule still applies : if you export something big like 2000 x 4000 pixels and you try to display it at a smaller zoom ratio on your computer, a calculation will be necessary to display your big file at a smaller size.
TheQuestionMark

Elodie wrote:TheQuestionMark, you are confusing many things... Let me explain :

• Zoom ratio : the value in % you enter at the bottom-right corner is the zoom ratio. It allows you to display your image bigger or tinier than it really is in term of pixels. The only accurate view is 100%. As Slowtiger explained in the other topic, any other value (whatever if it's 75% or 66,67%) will NOT give an accurate view. The preview is calculated in the best way possible, but it will never ever be accurate. This rule goes for TVPaint, Photoshop, Windows Viewer, Mac Preview, Gimp, etc... The fact you are zooming at 66.67% or 67% does not really change. If it's not 100%, a calculation will be always necessary.

• Pixel aspect ratio : when you create a project, you can define whether pixels will be squares (=1) or rectangles (Pal = 1,067 / NTSC = 0,9 / etc...). Changing the aspect ratio should be done only if you know what you are doing (which is obviously not your case - with all due respects). In your case, I strongly advise to keep a pixel aspect ratio = 1 and never change it. Checking (or not) the option in the export panel will never affect your export.

• Exports formats : formats like PNG, JPG, TIFF, TGA etc... are generated differently, following compression, quality, colours, etc...
For example, PNG is a lossless quality file : it means it will always keep the purest quality possible. The compression value is the calculation necessary to render an image : 0 = quick export but big files / 10 = slow export but light files. Only rendering time and files' size are affected by the compression, the quality is not. PNG is actually the best format to display images on computers, but it sucks if you print it.
Another example with JPEG. Quality 1 = quick render, poor quality, poor colours, light files. / Quality 100 = slower render, good quality, good colours, heavier files. But anyway, JPEG remains a compressed file format : it will never be as pure as PNG.

But whatever, don't forget the 1st rule still applies : if you export something big like 2000 x 4000 pixels and you try to display it at a smaller zoom ratio on your computer, a calculation will be necessary to display your big file at a smaller size.

Isn't there a way to trick TVpaint to render and image 'smaller zoom ratio' as is like you see it? Isn't it call 'Bilinear' like Photoshop? When I use photoshop I tend to use 'Bilinear' not 'Bicubic' when you use 'Save for Web' on photoshop, because the lines are more edgy and can give a more detail impact. You have to use really really thin lines to see the difference of 'Bilinear' and 'Bicubic' on photoshop. I guess on photoshop try a draw on big document with a thin line, pencil tool or un-alias stroke tool. Then Draw then 'Save for Web' as 'Bilinear' instead of 'Bicubic' and tweak the size smaller maybe 50% for the 'Bilinear' Version? Then try 'Save for Web' for 'Bicubic' Version. I think you can see the big difference between 'Bilinear' Version and 'Bicubic' Version, it's really noticeable with Pencil Tool/Un-Alias Tool.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

TQM, there is something I don't get : your topic's title is about Navigator Panel zoom ratio and you are finally asking for a different export algorithm. It's very confusing...

IMHO, I don't really see the point of bilinear mode, which gives worst results than bicubic since the interpolation is calculated with less information.
TheQuestionMark

Elodie wrote:TQM, there is something I don't get : your topic's title is about Navigator Panel zoom ratio and you are finally asking for a different export algorithm. It's very confusing...

IMHO, I don't really see the point of bilinear mode, which gives worst results than bicubic since the interpolation is calculated with less information.

But all the top pixiv artists when you look at it really really hard it's bileaner and not bicubic. I think it's really game changing 'bileaner' is especially from Japanese artist I think. Also I think if you | 'Bilinear' to 'Bilieaner' |or | 'Bilinear' to 'Bicubic' | it helps prevent people from copying your artwork or counterfeit it. I think it's really big having 'bilinear'. And I think alot international artist don't like to talking about the 'copying and counterfeiting' part publicly.
Fabrice

Re: Pixel interpolation when shrinking size

Post by Fabrice »

it helps prevent people from copying your artwork or counterfeit it.
no, it's doable.
Fabrice Debarge