Improving TVPaint 11 Interface when it comes to 60 FPS

This section is dedicated to the feature & improvement requests (be sure what you are asking does not exist yet in TVPaint Animation ;) )
TheQuestionMark

Improving TVPaint 11 Interface when it comes to 60 FPS

Post by TheQuestionMark »

https://youtu.be/hgf5nU3mLa4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I just watch anime video and they're doing it 60 FPS! I think TVPaint may be set to obsolete if they don't set up for 60FPS and fully devote to it. Example when trying to set up for 60 FPS rendering setup, and when trying to zoom out for 60 FPS, you can no longer drag out the exposure from timeline the icon/button isn't there anymore! I think the anime artists are looking at TVPaint caught the 60 FPS thread maybe talked in http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8745" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ? If TVpaint doesn't do anything they might get left behind!
Windows 10 64-Bit TvPaint Professional 11.5.3 (64-Bit)
slowtiger

Re: Improving TVPaint 11 Interface when it comes to 60 FPS

Post by slowtiger »

Don't think so. Hand drawn animation can't happen at 60 fps for one obvious reason: money. Nobody is going to spend at least twice as much for the same amount of film.
TVP 10.0.18 and 11.0 MacPro Quadcore 3GHz 16GB OS 10.6.8 Quicktime 7.6.6
TVP 11.0 and 11.7 MacPro 12core 3GHz 32GB OS 10.11 Quicktime 10.7.3
TVP 11.7 Mac Mini M2pro 32GB OS 13.5
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

TheQuestionMark wrote:https://youtu.be/hgf5nU3mLa4 I just watch anime video and they're doing it 60 FPS! I think TVPaint may be set to obsolete if they don't set up for 60FPS and fully devote to it. Example when trying to set up for 60 FPS rendering setup, and when trying to zoom out for 60 FPS, you can no longer drag out the exposure from timeline the icon/button isn't there anymore! I think the anime artists are looking at TVPaint caught the 60 FPS thread maybe talked in http://forum.tvpaint.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8745" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ? If TVpaint doesn't do anything they might get left behind!
Honestly, the video you linked to doesn't look much (or at all) better to me than the typical anime made at standard 24 FPS. Does it really look that much better to your eyes ? With drawn animation I think the only difference one truly notices is the difference between action animated ON 1's vs. animation ON 2's (or certainly ON 1's vs. animation done ON 3's or 4's , which is more common in Japanese animation.) With live-action footage or CG/3D made at 60 FPS (or 48 FPS) there's a noticeable difference , but not necessarily better in terms of the overall look , imo ... maybe this is just evidence of me being "old" , but I happen to prefer the classic cinema aesthetic. I don't want cinema to look like video.
Example when trying to set up for 60 FPS rendering setup, and when trying to zoom out for 60 FPS, you can no longer drag out the exposure from timeline the icon/button isn't there anymore!
I don't understand what you are referring to ... what "icon/button" isn't there anymore ? (Screenshots please) . Are you referring to the interactive zoom ratio button for the Timeline ? When I create a new Project at 60 FPS I still have the interactive zoom ratio button on the Timeline , so I can't duplicate the issue you are reporting on my end.

-----
slowtiger wrote:Don't think so. Hand drawn animation can't happen at 60 fps for one obvious reason: money. Nobody is going to spend at least twice as much for the same amount of film.
I agree for hand-drawn feature films , but I know of at least one short film animated at 60 FPS - Glen Keane's "Duet" . (funded by some very deep pockets at Google, so I guess they figured it was worth the extra expense ). I haven't experienced "Duet" on a phone or a tablet as in immersive, interactive piece , so I have no idea if the 60 FPS was worth the extra time to do all those additional drawings. I've seen the film in HD video format , but that was running at standard frame rate , not 60 FPS. Is it better at 60 FPS ? I don't know. From interviews given at the the time "Duet" debuted it seems that the decision to animate at 60 FPS was driven by the needs of the programmers , but Glen embraced it and rolled with it. (would he choose to animate at 60 FPS if Google wasn't paying for the extra time required ? Who knows ? )

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1
schwarzgrau

Post by schwarzgrau »

The video looks to me like they animated on a lower framerate and blended the frames into each other to get 60fps.
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Cintiq 22HD
Windows 11 22H2 / TVP 11.7.0 PRO WIBU / Mobile Studio Pro 16" (2019)
Android 13 / TVP 11.7.0 / Galaxy Tab 7 FE
INSTAGRAM
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

Example when trying to set up for 60 FPS rendering setup, and when trying to zoom out for 60 FPS, you can no longer drag out the exposure from timeline the icon/button isn't there anymore!
I don't understand what you are referring to ... what "icon/button" isn't there anymore ? (Screenshots please) . Are you referring to the interactive zoom ratio button for the Timeline ? When I create a new Project at 60 FPS I still have the interactive zoom ratio button on the Timeline , so I can't duplicate the issue you are reporting on my end.
Same here, no bug detected.
Please explain more, with screenshots if necessary.
Fabrice Debarge
TheQuestionMark

Fabrice wrote:
Same here, no bug detected.
Please explain more, with screenshots if necessary.

http://i.imgur.com/j7XG0rW.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can barely stretch it 60 FPS before it disappears the timeline.
Last edited by TheQuestionMark on 25 Jan 2016, 04:41, edited 2 times in total.
TheQuestionMark

slowtiger wrote:Don't think so. Hand drawn animation can't happen at 60 fps for one obvious reason: money. Nobody is going to spend at least twice as much for the same amount of film.
But how are they doing it? I don't see any crowfunding on them. And they are debuting too.
Elodie

Post by Elodie »

Slowtiger means they have not drawn 60 frames per seconds and the main reason is the cost.

I've looked deeper to the video and they have just made between 8 and 12 drawings per second : they hold these drawings longer than the would have with a 24 FPS frame rate, nothing more.

It brings nothing more to the animation quality (for 2D animation). Using a 60 FPS framerate makes only sense for 3D, especially for video games.
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

TheQuestionMark wrote:
http://i.imgur.com/j7XG0rW.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can barely stretch it 60 FPS before it disappears the timeline.
I'm not sure you entirely understand how the interface works or what Frames-Per-Second refers to. When you say "I can barely stretch it to 60 FPS before it disappears from the timeline" what do you mean by "it" ? Stretch what ? Do you mean the exposure of the instance(s) on the Timeline or the FPS rate of the Project ? In your first screenshot you have ONE instance exposed for 15 frames on the timeline ; in your second screenshot you have ONE instance exposed for 50 frames . So what do you mean "it" disappears from the Timeline if you stretch it to 60 FPS ? FPS doesn't change how frames are displayed on the Timeline ; FPS refers to the frame rate of the Project , not to how many frames an instance is exposed on the timeline or the size of the timeline display , so your statement seems to be confusing two different functions.

See the attached screenshots and the attached .tvpp file . My first screenshot shows a project that has a frame rate of 60 FPS , and the project duration is 180 frames. In the first screenshot I have compacted the zoom ratio of the Timeline so that all 180 frames fit on the Timeline . (this is independent of the frame rate of the Project ... it could be 60 FPS, or 30 FPS , or 24 FPS). If I wanted to expand the display of the frames on the Timeline then I would click and drag on the magnifying glass icon to expand the zoom ratio of the Timeline view as in the second screenshot. But again, the compacted or expanded display view of the instances on the Timeline is not related to the frames-per-second rate of the Project.
Zoom ratio on Timeline compacted.jpg
(click the images to see them larger)
Zoom ratio on Timeline expanded.jpg
But see that it is the same if my Project frame rate is 24FPS . Here is the compacted view of the Timeline , for a project that has a duration of 180 frames , with a frame rate of 24 FPS -
Same Animation at 24FPS.jpg

So you see that expanding or compacting the Timeline zoom ratio display of the instance(s) on the Timeline has nothing to do with the FRAME RATE of the project (60 FPS , 24 FPS, or otherwise).
Attachments
60FPS_Test.tvpp
(2.37 MiB) Downloaded 1032 times

Animator, TVPaint Beta-Tester, Animation Educator and Consultant.
MacOS 12.7.1 Monterey , Mac Mini (2018) , 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7,
16 GB RAM , TVPaint PRO 11.7.1 - 64bit , Wacom Cintiq 21UX 2nd Gen.
,Wacom Intuos Pro 5 , Wacom driver version 6.3.39-1